David Amess MP murdered

ICTChris

I just find the whole thing so utterly sad and senseless, to be honest. I can't even begin to imagine the pain that his family are going through right now. 

Some of the anecdotes from MPs' staff about the volume and severity of the threats they have had to deal with in recent times is just grim in the extreme. 

45 minutes ago, statts1976uk said:

The only surprise I have is that he seemed to have the presence of mind to have deleted it before anyone screenshot it. I suspect that would probably be from self preservation rather than common decency.

Very crass indeed.

976FD5E4-F06B-42E5-B8CE-45800DC3EA0E.jpeg

29 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Hoyle blaming social media for the attack on capitol hill and not the former president who incited it.

He's got a point though. I don't think we'd have so many deranged nutters about if there wasn't social media tools for psychopaths like Trump to stir them up.

25 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

I just find the whole thing so utterly sad and senseless, to be honest. I can't even begin to imagine the pain that his family are going through right now. 

Some of the anecdotes from MPs' staff about the volume and severity of the threats they have had to deal with in recent times is just grim in the extreme. 

Another sad thing is that people at the end of their tether about personal injustices, won't be able to go to the last resort, their MP, without being frisked by a policeman who might be part of their problem. 

37 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Hoyle blaming social media for the attack on capitol hill and not the former president who incited it. Shitshow.

I suppose most of the incitement was done at a rally near the Capitol so not sure Hoyle is factual accurate.

However social media companies, particularly Facebook encourage folk down the rabbit hole of conspiracy and they do virtually nothing about it. Certainly nothing that might hit their profits.

2 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Some MPs are happy just to be MPs and work for their constituents.  They don’t all want to make a name for themselves or aspire to high office.

Is there any evidence he worked for his constituents?

From what I have seen there is very little to him which is damning for some one who was in parliament for so long and knighted for services to politics.

8 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

From what I have seen there is very little to him which is damning for some one who was in parliament for so long and knighted for services to politics.

Tbh representing his constituents is good enough but he seemed to toe the party line which if that's what the people of southend want then power to him.

Being constantly elected isn't particularly impressive as folk see Tory and stick a cross in the box.

But I think it's important to separate the fact it's extremely sad he's been killed off doing the job he was elected to do, and that his politics might not have been everyone's ideal of a nice person.

4 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Do you have evidence he didn’t?  Do you have evidence that you’ve done your job properly for the last 40 years?

You’re down the same rabbit hole that too many people are in that assume because he’s a Tory he’s a c**t he’s only in it for what he can get.

I don’t agree with his views but his grave shouldn’t be trampled on by people that have no clue whether he was a decent person or MP.  What makes you qualified to judge him?

Just now, Left Back said:

Do you have evidence he didn’t?  Do you have evidence that you’ve done your job properly for the last 40 years?

You’re down the same rabbit hole that too many people are in that assume because he’s a Tory he’s a c**t he’s only in it for what he can get.

I don’t agree with his views but his grave shouldn’t be trampled on by people that have no clue whether he was a decent person or MP.  What makes you qualified to judge him?

Trampling on his grave? FFS

His do nothing attitude is probably an overall positivie compared to the horrible shit that more ambitious MPs get up to.

I'm not "down a rabbit hole". I'm listening to all the memories people have of him and it doesn't amount to a whole lot. I did google why he was knighted. He could have went another 38 years in the commons and no one would have a clue who he was. No one has talked about any campaigns he lead, or changes he spearheaded.

Ironically it seems like he achieve more change in his death than he did when he alive. There are plans to make Southend a city in his honour.

3 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Trampling on his grave? FFS

His do nothing attitude is probably an overall positivie compared to the horrible shit that more ambitious MPs get up to.

I'm not "down a rabbit hole". I'm listening to all the memories people have of him and it doesn't amount to a whole lot. I did google why he was knighted. He could have went another 38 years in the commons and no one would have a clue who he was. No one has talked about any campaigns he lead, or changes he spearheaded.

Ironically it seems like he achieve more change in his death than he did when he alive. There are plans to make Southend a city in his honour.

You’re still at it.  You have no clue what he did for his constituents.  It may be that he sat with his feet up and did sod all for the best part of 40 years.  Go find some evidence of that and I’ll happily agree he was stealing a wage and shouldn’t have been in the job or been knighted for it.  Until you can say for certain he was crap at his job you shouldn’t be judging him.

42 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Yes.

24 minutes ago, Left Back said:

You’re still at it.  You have no clue what he did for his constituents.  It may be that he sat with his feet up and did sod all for the best part of 40 years.  Go find some evidence of that and I’ll happily agree he was stealing a wage and shouldn’t have been in the job or been knighted for it.  Until you can say for certain he was crap at his job you shouldn’t be judging him.

I'm not in charge of what other people are saying about him mate.

1 hour ago, welshbairn said:

He's got a point though. I don't think we'd have so many deranged nutters about if there wasn't social media tools for psychopaths like Trump to stir them up.

Oh I think we would, we just wouldn't be aware of their mad streams of consciousness so easily or so often. 

1 hour ago, 101 said:

I suppose most of the incitement was done at a rally near the Capitol so not sure Hoyle is factual accurate.

However social media companies, particularly Facebook encourage folk down the rabbit hole of conspiracy and they do virtually nothing about it. Certainly nothing that might hit their profits.

Certainly FB is guilty of amplifying and rewarding extremist or reactionary content but attacking the medium instead of the authors of that content goes too far. 

Trump used social media to incite an insurrection, and social media companies have a part to play here certainly.  However, Hoyle and others will use it as an excuse not to criticise those at the top who are quite happy to dog whistle and use abusive or damaging language to whip up their core support when it suits. 

It's this generations video nasties.