David Amess MP murdered

ICTChris

The legacy of the death of Jo Cox should have been that politics changed in this country. I remember at the time seeing articles about the inflammatory language that gets used by politicians on a routine basis.

Id say if anything it has only got worse in recent years and it sounds like already stories are coming out about the volume of threats faced by MPs culminating in someone actually showing up to meet an MP and murdering them with a knife.

Of course there is no excuse whatsoever for murdering someone in cold blood, but I think politicians and the media at least somewhat had Jo Cox to answer for and I think the same about this.

1 minute ago, Bairnardo said:

The legacy of the death of Jo Cox should have been that politics changed in this country. I remember at the time seeing articles about the inflammatory language that gets used by politicians on a routine basis.

Id say if anything it has only got worse in recent years and it sounds like already stories are coming out about the volume of threats faced by MPs culminating in someone actually showing up to meet an MP and murdering them with a knife.

Of course there is no excuse whatsoever for murdering someone in cold blood, but I think politicians and the media at least somewhat had Jo Cox to answer for and I think the same about this.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

its not just the media and politcians its everyone

7 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Don’t know about two, but there was definitely a German MP shot a year or two ago. 

Yeah, google says that was attributed to the far-right.

I can't find any murders of MPs in France in recent years.  In Italy the Sicilian mafia murdered a number of politicians during the period of the late 1970s to the early 1990s, as well as judges.  Aldo Moro, a former PM, was murdered by the Red Brigades in 1978.  Pim Fortuyn was murdered in Rotterdam in 2002.  ETA has murdered a number of SPanish politicians during their campaign.

15 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

shocking state of affairs, i wonder if Angela Rayner will get a bit of grief after her ''tory scum'' remark, i'm sure the mail or express will milk that angle at some point.

The Metro got there first

Angela Rayner slammed for ‘trite sympathy’ after repeatedly saying ‘Tory scum’

• ICTChris changed the title to David Amess MP murdered

I certainly wouldn't argue against less Conservative politicians to be knocking about, but this is definitely not the way I'd like to achieve that. At the ballot box, not through violence.

This looks very much like a personal grievance or perhaps mental illness. The last one was out and out terrorism. This time let's see if Johnson can provide a suitable response, as the last time he suggested we should all honour the memory of Jo Cox by "getting Brexit done", despite Cox spending her time campaigning against it.

If anyone will make political capital out of this, it'll be the Conservatives. No doubt Patel will see this as a way to ingratiate herself back into the good books of the right wing of her party by some pointless postulating and a long diatribe in the Telegraph.