David Amess MP murdered

ICTChris

MP for Southend West David Amess has reportedly been stabbed multiple times during a constituency surgery. No real details at present but reports on Twitter say armed police are on the scene.

Obviousiy the reports bring the mind the murder of Jo Cox in 2016. There have also been attacks on MPs in recent years at surgeries - Stephen Timms, MP for East Ham, was stabbed by an al-Queda supporter at his office in 2010 and Andrew Pennington, a case worker for Cheltenham MP Nigel Jones, was murdered when a constituent of Jones attacked both men with a samurai sword.

Edited by ICTChris

25 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

MP for Southend West David Amess has reportedly been stabbed multiple times during a constituency surgery. No real details at present but reports on Twitter say armed police are on the scene.

Obviousiy the reports bring the mind the murder of Jo Cox in 2016. There have also been attacks on MPs in recent years at surgeries - Stephen Timms, MP for East Ham, was stabbed by an al-Queda supporter at his office in 2010 and Andrew Pennington, a case worker for Cheltenham MP Nigel Jones, was murdered when a constituent of Jones attacked both men with a samurai sword.

has it been confirmed it was the MP that was stabbed?  The only report I read (admittedly quite a few minutes ago) said a stabbing but didn't say who.

ETA.  Ignore me.  It's now been updated to say it's reportedly the MP

Edited by Left Back

Grim news this.

It's damaging if MPs aren't able to be met via surgeries.

Like most people old enough, I remember him best as the poster boy of the Hellish night in 1992 when the Tories managed to stay in power for another five years.

I hope he makes it, but I don't think it's looking good.

Sponsored The Warm Homes and Energy Conservation Act 2000 as a Private Members' Bill which, astonishingly, made it on to the Statute Book. Noble objectives of eradicating fuel poverty and making homes more energy efficient.

Clearly targeted by the Insulate Britain nutters for failing miserably in the attempt.

Just now, 101 said:

Very weird that Boris hasn't made comment to the press, but expect he would have to cut his holiday short if the MP has sadly died.

I think he’s already back from holiday as he was running a cabinet away day in the south west today, which has presumably been cancelled now