Alloa vs Peterhead

Usual report card for the Ref both supports thinking he favoured the other side, i am usually one of their biggest critics  but thought on the whole Kirkland was not as bad as some had a report from someone up that end that said the same as some of the Alloa support saying he had no option but give the Pen & Red card as the keeper deserved it. Good start from the home team which lead to taking the lead. We tend to keep going nowadays & found ourselves in the lead only to switch off for Alloas leveller. Thought if we kept our heads and moved the ball around with the extra man we would get there good header from Rusty got us back in front & apart from about 10mins late in the game where we let Alloa come at us we looked comfortable and got another to seal it before the end. Another step in the right direction

42 minutes ago, peternapper said:

Usual report card for the Ref both supports thinking he favoured the other side, i am usually one of their biggest critics  but thought on the whole Kirkland was not as bad as some had a report from someone up that end that said the same as some of the Alloa support saying he had no option but give the Pen & Red card as the keeper deserved it. Good start from the home team which lead to taking the lead. We tend to keep going nowadays & found ourselves in the lead only to switch off for Alloas leveller. Thought if we kept our heads and moved the ball around with the extra man we would get there good header from Rusty got us back in front & apart from about 10mins late in the game where we let Alloa come at us we looked comfortable and got another to seal it before the end. Another step in the right direction

I take it punctuation isn't one of your strengths?

Penalty award was fare, second booking probably not. Need to see the replay. From where I was, Peterhead player would outperform Tom Daily.

We should be used to playing with 10 men now that's three home games . 

First half hour we played well but completely fell out of it. We are guttless in the middle of the park and astonishing that he took Cawley off who is someone you would want in the trenches with you especially down to ten men.  

Relegation form this season again as we are simply nowhere near good enough. In essence we were playing with 9 men as king has been annonomous in most of his games for us so far. 

Today was the poorest we have been this campaign. Well beat . 

Really poor performance today, even taking in to account going down to 10. Difficult to give pass marks to anyone outside Boyd and Durnan. There was no urgency at all in the second half, and agree Cawley should never have been the one sacrificed. I like Henderson, but his work rate is nowhere near that of Kev, Boyd or Scougall, and it should have been him that was taken off. 

Not really any complaints at the penalty, but the way Payne went down with the big screech in mid air was pathetic. McCarthy was another one who spent the majority of the first half throwing himself about on the deck. Can understand the yellow for the penalty, but the first one for Hutton was harsh, especially seeing as the ref wasn’t even watching what was going on with McDonald pushing and shoving as he was dealing with the players at the edge of the box. 

First goal was a complete catalogue of errors - King should have played the ball inside to Church rather than out for a throw, Church then sells himself at the throw, Mendy let’s Payne run across him, and Hutton shouldn’t be getting beat at his near post. Even down to 10 in the second half we should never be conceding from a set piece - if we can’t defend from a dead ball we are screwed. 

Agree with others that taking Taggs off for Robbo was another poor decision, especially when Adam King is there to hook - starting to think he must be related to Ferguson because it’s like Ray Grant last year all over again. 

Real struggle to take any positives from today, but at least both our goals were well worked. Kind of over the ‘it’s early in the season’ chat to be honest, 11 points from 10 games is pathetic, now sitting 8th and we have the 2nd worst form in the division. BF inherited a squad, bar Stevie Heatherington and Liam Dick, that battled away in the bottom 3 or 4 of the Championship every week, with a solid nucleus of seasoned pros with one or two young talents, and in only 10 games has pretty much torn the soul out of the team, replaced them pretty much on the whole with a bunch of jobbers, that he seems to be stubbornly sticking with for reasons only he knows - to sink us so low so quickly is actually pretty impressive to be fair. 

I was astonished we appointed Barry Ferguson but felt it was only fair we give him a fair crack at the whip. A League Cup group stage and 10 league games is not a fair crack at the whip and in normal circumstances I wouldn't even consider raising any serious issues about a manager at this stage. But in his short space of time at Alloa Barry Ferguson has brought in loads of players - a number of whom have really struggled at previous clubs - despite inheriting a really solid nucleus and saying initially that he wouldn't need many new signings. He has moved on one club legend (in an unsatisfactory manner) with others moved to the fringes of the team. Those boys are sat on the bench while the manager's signings play regardless of performance. How did Mendy get a start again today? Loses his man again at the first goal. Mendy just doesn't know how to play centre half. On top of dubious team selection, the manager has also managed to fall out with the support.

Even though it's early doors 11 points from 10 games with a cracking budget and in a poor league - with other fancied sides underachieving - is piss poor. You'd need to work hard to inherit what he did and with money to spend and be this bad. 

There is still a good team there - good enough to win the league - if the squad is deployed properly. The issue is the management team. Hard to be too optimistic that they are going to find a winning formula. We really need to see some signs of progress ASAP. 

Edited by Waspie

9 hours ago, laughing gravie said:

I take it punctuation isn't one of your strengths?

Penalty award was fare, second booking probably not. Need to see the replay. From where I was, Peterhead player would outperform Tom Daily.

9 hours ago, diamondman said:

Criticising punctuation; and then stating "fare" as as opposed to fair. Pedant's paradise.

8 hours ago, laughing gravie said:

It's actually grammar as opposed to punctuation.

Touche 

Better to stay quit and be thought a fool...

Suppose i had better apologise to Laughing Gravie for the shortage of punctuation marks in my original post, 3 hours drive home after the game & thought i would have a quick look to see others opinions on the game. Did not run it past my proof reader hence the aforementioned came on and felt the need to make a dick of himself. Thanks to those that were happy to read the content of my post without being too critical of the finer points of grammar. If only i had spent another 3 or 4 more years in education i could maybe have got a degree in English rather than leaving school at 15 and working for my living for the next 50 years.

1 hour ago, BFTD said:

I, for one, wholeheartedly endorse these appalling attempts to Grammar Nazi  :lol:

Happened to look on the East Fife/Cove thread today, must be the time of the month or something Fife fans falling out with each other over whether a comma was required or not. Will be requiring elocution lessons shortly before shouting abuse at refs/players 😮 

Edited by peternapper

A good case could be made for keeping each of Henderson, Boyd and Scougall on when bringing on the sub goalie, but the last player I'd sacrifice in the circumstances would be wee Kev. Even leaving aside his ability and experience, his work rate alone would mitigate being a man short,

Henderson is a disappointment for me so far. Apart from his first game, when I thought he was excellent, he seems to be too content to play in second gear. Obviously still early days, but we need a lot more from him. He clearly has ability.

Can't disagree with most of the complaints about the manager's team selection/subs (Mendy playing, Robbo getting so little game time, taking Taggs off etc), but it isn't his fault we have been reduced to ten men so early in our last two home games. That's been down to errors and stupidity by the two players who were red caeded. Nothing to do with the ref making mistakes (of course none of us know exactly what happened for Hutton's first red).

1 hour ago, printer said:

A good case could be made for keeping each of Henderson, Boyd and Scougall on when bringing on the sub goalie, but the last player I'd sacrifice in the circumstances would be wee Kev. Even leaving aside his ability and experience, his work rate alone would mitigate being a man short,

Henderson is a disappointment for me so far. Apart from his first game, when I thought he was excellent, he seems to be too content to play in second gear. Obviously still early days, but we need a lot more from him. He clearly has ability.

Can't disagree with most of the complaints about the manager's team selection/subs (Mendy playing, Robbo getting so little game time, taking Taggs off etc), but it isn't his fault we have been reduced to ten men so early in our last two home games. That's been down to errors and stupidity by the two players who were red caeded. Nothing to do with the ref making mistakes (of course none of us know exactly what happened for Hutton's first red).

Some great points however ultimately the fault rests with the manager. Signings, formation, team selection, training, coaching and discipline.

Watch him during a game. HIs body language exudes negativity, slagging players off to the other staff. I can see it, the players do as well, not very inspiring.