Should Scotland Boycott the World Cup in Qatar?

G_&_T

Should Scotland Boycott the World Cup in Qatar?  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 hours ago, BingMcCrosby said:

With everything that's going on in Ukraine I think this topic is even more relevant.

Ill support the team (from home) if we make it.

But id be very proud if we pulled out due to the human rights violations being committed. Leading the world in drawing attention to this and hopefully more teams in pulling out would be very admirable. And hopefully help to save peoples lives.

I don't think anybody's ever withdrawn from the other dodgy locations that FIFA's awarded World Cups to, so I can't imagine it being any different this time. They seem to actively look for despotic regimes to host their tournaments.

Nobody's going to rock the boat so long as the money keeps rolling in.

Norway decided to boycott and nobody othered a jot so there would no point in us doing the same. 
It would take a major nation to boycott for it to even get off the ground.

Not quite. It was Norwegian law enforcement that suggested everyone should. And they had a point

https://www.insidethegames.biz/articles/1114798/norway-boycott-calls-qatar-2022-worldcup

Every country should boycott the 2022 FIFA World Cup because of corruption in the process which led to Qatar being awarded the right to host the event, according to the head of the Norwegian financial crime unit.

Økokrim chief Pål Lønseth said it was "obvious" that Norway and "the whole football world" should boycott the tournament.

Allegations of corruption emerged before and after Qatar was awarded the hosting rights for the 2022 World Cup.

Of the 22 FIFA Executive Committee members who took part in the vote, 16 have since been suspended, charged or given prison sentences for corruption offences.

"Sport must learn that corruption must have a consequence," Lønseth told Norwegian newspaper VG.

"Corruption must have a consequence.

"What other industry in this world can we see big money being involved in contract awards - without any consequences.

"If the Qatar World Cup goes as normal, without consequences, it will increase the risk that the allocation of future events may also be subject to corruption.

20 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

No they didn't, do your research.

I don't care enough to be honest. They wore t-shirts indicating they were against the human rights issues in the country and had essentially said the would boycott so I'm taking that at face value. 

Regardless, why should Scotland boycott? There has been over a decade for this to be addressed by those much more powerful than the SFA and nothing has been done. A last minute moral crusade by plucky wee Scotland matters not a jot.

6 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

hardly making shit up tbh. The media were falling over themselves to report that the Norway team we're not willing to play in Qatar otherwise they wouldn't have worn the shirts FFS!

aye you are.

50 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Norway decided to boycott and nobody othered a jot so there would no point in us doing the same. 

The boycott was proposed, discussed and rejected by Norway.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2021/6/21/norway-rules-out-boycott-of-qatar-2022-world-cup

https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20210620-norway-decides-against-qatar-world-cup-boycott

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/norway-qatar-world-cup-workers-b1869453.html

https://www.goal.com/en/news/norway-will-not-boycott-2022-world-cup-after-march-protests/1p4j2xxh0tlwz1ofqks27ihgu1

https://www.bangkokpost.com/sports/2135779/norway-decides-against-qatar-world-cup-boycott

Edited by 2426255

1 minute ago, latapythelegend said:

so you acknowledge that the country initially had plans to boycott? You're getting really hung up on this.

Anyway, I take you would rather Scotland did not compete?

You said Norway decided to boycott the World Cup, but the truth is they decided not to boycott the World Cup after considering due to protests in March from players etc.

The main point I was making is that you're talking out your arse. I'm happy to leave it there - what's the point dragging this out further and clogging the thread up just cause you don't want to admit you were talking rubbish?

3 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

You said Norway decided to boycott the World Cup, but the truth is they decided not to boycott the World Cup after considering due to protests in March from players etc.

The main point I was making is that you're talking out your arse. I'm happy to leave it there - what's the point dragging this out further and clogging the thread up just cause you don't want to admit you were talking rubbish?

I'm sorry you're correct. Those players wearing t-shirts and posing for the media in protest of the Qatar World Cup were 100% in favour off it. 

Anyway, were do you stand on this moral crusade? Do you want Scotland to boycott?

7 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

Anyway, were do you stand on this moral crusade? Do you want Scotland to boycott?

To be totally honest with you mate I don't have a really strong feeling either way. If you pushed me I'd say I'd be mildly supportive of a boycott because I have seen working conditions first hand in the UAE (which granted isn't the same as Qatar) for non Europeans and I've already seen Scotland play at a World Cup.

Edited by 2426255

11 minutes ago, latapythelegend said:

I don't care enough to be honest. They wore t-shirts indicating they were against the human rights issues in the country and had essentially said the would boycott so I'm taking that at face value. 

Regardless, why should Scotland boycott? There has been over a decade for this to be addressed by those much more powerful than the SFA and nothing has been done. A last minute moral crusade by plucky wee Scotland matters not a jot.

Because it would draw attention to the issue, and hopefully others would follow. Potentially saving and improving peoples lives. 

8 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Because it would draw attention to the issue, and hopefully others would follow. Potentially saving and improving peoples lives. 

Living in the real world however, it will just mean we voluntarily miss out on what has become a once in a a generation event.

I'm disgusted as much as anybody else by the human rights failures of most middle eastern countries but if nothing has as much as scratched the surface in the last decade to address then its pointless now. 

On 21/03/2022 at 11:08, craigkillie said:

Norway did sort of decide to boycott by being shite in qualifying.

Christ, we couldn't even get that right!

If anyone decided to boycott the World Cup for reasons of corruption, they might find they'd never be able to bring themselves to play another international game again, for club or country. It's utterly endemic in the structures at those levels, surely.

8 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Christ, we couldn't even get that right!

If anyone decided to boycott the World Cup for reasons of corruption, they might find they'd never be able to bring themselves to play another international game again, for club or country. It's utterly endemic in the structures at those levels, surely.

Play another International game again?

Can you give me an example of the kind of corruption in say the scotland Poland fixture?

Something comparative with thousands of slaves dying.