Should Scotland Boycott the World Cup in Qatar?

G_&_T

Should Scotland Boycott the World Cup in Qatar?  

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

3 minutes ago, G_&_T said:

It would draw international attention to what's gone on, and show the world that the Scots are a principled people who're willing to take a stand against it. 

Isn’t there already international attention?

Regardless, taking part and doing some form of gesture at the World Cup itself would probably draw more attention. 

38 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

4000 workers killed constructing 10 stadiums. That cannot be true, can it ???

I believe they use Bangladeshi’s as basically slave labour, have them living in appalling conditions, no running water, sanitary facilities etc., zero regard for health and safety and withold wages so they can’t return home.

The Guardian states 6,500. But that might include workers who're not working on World Cup stadia:
https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/feb/23/revealed-migrant-worker-deaths-qatar-fifa-world-cup-2022
Read it, it's nonsense. It's basically the number of people of certain nationalities who have died in Qatar since 2010. It's not deaths AT WORK it's deaths in all settings, from all causes over 11 years amongst those nationalities.

To claim 4000 or 6500 migrants have been killed actually constructing the stadiums for the WC are simply bull shit. Dreadful article and clikbait headline.

I don't doubt they are treated like shit and paid peanuts but the figures being used to justify a call for a boycott are total nonsense.

The World Cup should never have gone to Qatar in the first place for a number of reasons, but I do think it's more important to attend (if we qualify) as long as people have the baws to highlight everything which has gone on in order for the World Cup to happen. Sport does not exist in a vacuum.

What good would Scotland boycotting it realistically do? They'd just give our position to the team we beat in the playoff and carry on as if nothing happened. 

I want to watch my country in a world cup and letting some corrupt b*****ds at FIFA ruin it isn't high in my agenda. Obviously I'd rather it was held elsewhere, but it isn't, and there isn't anything we can do about it. 

2 hours ago, Left Back said:

I believe they use Bangladeshi’s as basically slave labour, have them living in appalling conditions, no running water, sanitary facilities etc., zero regard for health and safety and withold wages so they can’t return home.

The Bangladeshi government do little to help their citizens trapped and mistreated in Qatar and other gulf states because of the billions of dollars they send back to Bangladesh each year.

I'd fully support a boycott. 

FIFA were fine about the WC being in Qatar. The national associations seem happy to keep their mouths shut. I don't think any prominent players have said anything. Next up it's the TA - anyone brave enough to attend the WC and unfurl Qatar-hostile banners in public? Not many I'd guess, and those that did would not be home before Scotland next appeared in a World Cup. FIFA corruption has landed us all in this.

(Personally, I'd really like to have the courage to GIRUQ in person. I won't though, and neither will you)

2 minutes ago, House Bartender said:

FIFA were fine about the WC being in Qatar. The national associations seem happy to keep their mouths shut. I don't think any prominent players have said anything. Next up it's the TA - anyone brave enough to attend the WC and unfurl Qatar-hostile banners in public? Not many I'd guess, and those that did would not be home before Scotland next appeared in a World Cup. FIFA corruption has landed us all in this.

(Personally, I'd really like to have the courage to GIRUQ in person. I won't though, and neither will you)

I'll not be watching. In fact I'm now not sure I even want Scotland to qualify. 

Norway, Netherlands and Germany players have all displayed support for the workers in some kind of way but I think that’s about it.

64c2ca9e915f017c0607ad6bd2d07139.jpg

7 hours ago, AJF said:

It’s a difficult question, but The Scottish Football Association is exactly that, a Football Association.

Matters such as Qatar’s human rights issues are much larger than football and were around long before stadiums were getting built for the World Cup so I don’t think it’s something the SFA should get involved in to the extent of boycotting.

Human rights have never been a consideration for the SFA in the past, even for a friendly if there's money in it, so why now?

https://www.scotsman.com/arts-and-culture/scotland-v-chile-friendly-labelled-match-shame-1433958

15 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

Yep, the various football associations should have called it out when all the reports of corruption came to light.

Probably couldn't because they were up their necks in it as well. England offered 8 days before the vote (2018 and 2022 were voted on at the same time) to play Thailand in a friendly, then withdrew the offer three weeks after the vote as a) they had lost and b) Thailand didn't vote for them. The FA chairman later said it was a form of bribery.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40422817

15 hours ago, G_&_T said:

The Guardian states 6,500. But that might include workers who're not working on World Cup stadia:

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2021/feb/23/revealed-migrant-worker-deaths-qatar-fifa-world-cup-2022

There's no might.

In fact, despite the sensationalist headline it's basically a list of foreign nationals to die in Qatar in a decade. That may be excessive, it may not, I wouldn't know. I wonder what a similar list for the UK would show?

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There's no might.

In fact, despite the sensationalist headline it's basically a list of foreign nationals to die in Qatar in a decade. That may be excessive, it may not, I wouldn't know. I wonder what a similar list for the UK would show?

Just for selling papers or do you think their is an anti Qatar/ anti FIFA slant to the reporting?

Just now, 2426255 said:

Just for selling papers or do you think their is an anti Qatar/ anti FIFA slant to the reporting?

I have absolutely no idea and I'm offering no view on the issue. I don't know enough about it. I can however read and therefore was able to discern after a few minutes that the actual text of the article is utterly meaningless in terms of both its headline and the point the poster is trying to make.