Andrew Considine

Donathan

Between his injury, age, and other younger CBs coming through the ranks, it seems probable that he’s finished for Scotland now. Meaning that he has only made 3 Scotland caps.

I wonder if he has the most influential Scotland career of anyone with such few caps. Not only did he help us qualify for our first major tournament in two decades, but he’s responsible for our new adopted anthem

He helped us during a tough period, good player and I wouldn't say he's finished. If his Scotland career is limited to those Pre Euros squads then he hopefully is happy with that. It's a difficult one to cut players from the squad that didn't do anything to merit being dropped. 

33 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Between his injury, age, and other younger CBs coming through the ranks, it seems probable that he’s finished for Scotland now. Meaning that he has only made 3 Scotland caps.

I wonder if he has the most influential Scotland career of anyone with such few caps. Not only did he help us qualify for our first major tournament in two decades, but he’s responsible for our new adopted anthem

He made zero contribution to us qualifying on the park - he didn't play in either play-off game.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He made zero contribution to us qualifying on the park - he didn't play in either play-off game.

He played in the triple headers though, meaning that he provided vital rest time for those who actually did play in the play-offs. He also provided great support in the dressing room and was available to go at a moment’s notice if anyone became injured. He deserves credit. 

20 minutes ago, 2426255 said:

He helped us during a tough period, good player and I wouldn't say he's finished. If his Scotland career is limited to those Pre Euros squads then he hopefully is happy with that. It's a difficult one to cut players from the squad that didn't do anything to merit being dropped. 

McTominay, Hanley, Tierney, Cooper, Hendry, McKenna and Gallagher all ahead of him for back three spots. Would take a bit of an injury crisis to get him back in. 

His appearances in the triple headers both came after we had played the play-off games. If he offered them rest time then that was in preparation for the next Nations League game. I'm not failing to give him credit, he was very good when he played, it's just that he didn't actually contribute anything to us qualifying.

Edited by craigkillie

13 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

He made zero contribution to us qualifying on the park.

Yes, he never played a minute in any World Cup Qualifying games same as the likes of Taylor, Gallagher, McLaughlin or McBurnie.

7 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I'm not failing to give him creidit, he was very good when he played, it's just that he didn't actually contribute anything to us qualifying.

He contributed as part of the squad for the Austria, Israel and Faroes games. As Steve Clarke says the players who don't play still have value in preparation for the games. So even if it's not much he still has that.

1 hour ago, Donathan said:

Between his injury, age, and other younger CBs coming through the ranks, it seems probable that he’s finished for Scotland now. Meaning that he has only made 3 Scotland caps

Scored the vital 2nd in a World Cup play off, and he shagged tons of burds. only won 5 caps.

See the source image

no mark squad player who dresses up as a burd, got 3 caps too many.

See the source image

Edited by Meldrew

7 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

Scored the vital 2nd in a World Cup play off, and he shagged tons of burds. only won 5 caps.

PLONKER who wasted his talent , especially w.r.t. playing for his country

7 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

See the source image

no mark squad player who , successfully , gave all for his country.

See the source image

Guest Bob Mahelp

A bizarrely random subject. 

Big Andy was never going to be a long term solution for Scotland, he was brought in as cover when other players were injured. 

I think most agree that he deserved his international caps as a dedicated one-club man....a real rarity these days... and as a player who has never let anyone down. If he had another yard of pace, I've no doubt at all he would have gained a lot more caps. 

It says a lot that since his injury, Aberdeen haven't won a game. We've really missed him. 

And he gave us 'Yes Sir, I can boogie', so f**k anyone who says he didn't deserve his caps.

He could well have had a good few more caps in recent years. He’s a better player than the likes of Devlin, Gallagher, Findlay and Bates who all got a look in before him, although he obviously didn’t have time on his side.

Not that I’m biased or anything!

On 13/10/2021 at 09:49, Donathan said:

I wonder if he has the most influential Scotland career of anyone with such few caps. 

Some other notable single figure Scotland careers:-

Jimmy McGrory: 7 caps. Credited with giving birth to the Hampden Roar with his last minute winner against England. 

Jimmy Murray: 5 caps. Scored our first ever World Cup finals goal v Yugoslavia in 1958.

Jim McCalliog: 5 caps. Bagged the winner in our 1967 defeat of the world champions.

Gary MacKay: 4 caps. A significant career for the Irish anyway, with his goal in Sofia sending them to their first finals.

Tom Bradshaw: 1 cap. A Wembley Wizard, he marked Dixie Dean out the game and helped achieve what is arguably our greatest ever result. 

Edited by Lurkst

Who was the English player about a decade ago that has a single substitute appearance in a qualifier and vultured a goal by tapping one on the line that was blatantly already going in? I think it would have been a Jermaine Defoe goal but can’t remember who it was that applied the final touch but I’m sure he has the best goals per minute ratio in international football history. 

42 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Who was the English player about a decade ago that has a single substitute appearance in a qualifier and vultured a goal by tapping one on the line that was blatantly already going in? I think it would have been a Jermaine Defoe goal but can’t remember who it was that applied the final touch but I’m sure he has the best goals per minute ratio in international football history. 

David Nugent.

Edited by oneteaminglasgow