Moldova v Scotland

Sugar_Army

I'm a bit late to the party.  Just seen the highlights. Probably been said many times earlier in the thread but ... that back heel from McGinn was obscene ..... and the post-penalty interception from Tierney was outrageous. Two moments of excellence contributing to a fine win. Gordon's first half save and penalty save not far behind. Hampden should be bouncing on Monday. 👍

1 hour ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Using the barometer if world class means getting a game for any team in the world at international or club level you are only looking at Andy Robertson being world class.

KT is very close imo I think he is outstanding, he shows it time and time again.

Gilmour could be but needs way more games at club level. 

McGinn, needs to kick on again. Will see how he does under Gerrard, not sure he gets into most big national teams or the elite clubs.

Not to shit on the parade of this group of players as they have exceeded expectations in finishing 2nd in the group.

Craig Gordon ?

Only Scotland fans could come in here the day after qualifying for the playoffs and greet because we're gloating about beating our closest competitors also talking down our players after a very decent performance, just enjoy it you shower of miserable b*****ds.

44 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The strong team beat everyone this time, not just us, so that was helpful.  We also failed to slip up against the minnows as so often happens.

These facts allowed our 4 points against our rivals to be decisive.

I agree that getting more points than other teams helped us to finish above them.

47 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The strong team beat everyone this time, not just us, so that was helpful.  We also failed to slip up against the minnows as so often happens.

These facts allowed our 4 points against our rivals to be decisive.

If Austria and Israel had taken points off Denmark we'd still be ahead of them and quite possibly have it in our own hands to win the group on Monday.

I don't think other teams doing us a favour is really the story here.

If Austria and Israel had taken points off Denmark we'd still be ahead of them and quite possibly have it in our own hands to win the group on Monday.

It would take a pretty unlikely set of results for any team not to finish in the top two with 20 points. Even with Austria and Israel both taking 6 points from Moldova and the Faroes we've still ended up miles clear of them.

1 minute ago, DC92 said:

I didn't say it was.  Allowing Austria and Israel to take only one point each from us was the key.  The point being discussed related to the margin ultimately being quite large.

8 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

This is a very Scottish thing - confusing negativity and emotional repression with being grounded in reality.

Lighten up FFS.

If you can't lose your shit when it comes to football then when are you going to?

Robertson, Tierney, Gilmour and Patterson are as good in their positions as virtually any other player out there in any country.

You can add Craig Gordon to that list of world class players.

So that's 5 right off the bat and I'd argue that John McGinn and Scott McTominay are pretty close to them.

We haven't had a squad this good since the days when Wham and the Human League were scoring major hits but I'm happy to hear alternatives from more recent years.

If it's typically Scottish to retain perspective and critical faculties, then I'm a proud Scotsman.

3 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Robertson, Tierney, Gilmour and Patterson are as good in their positions as virtually any other player out there in any country.

You can add Craig Gordon to that list of world class players.

This has to be a wind up. 

Assuming it isn't, your definition of what constitutes "world class" is a weak one IMO. Taking the excellent Gilmour FYI, he can't get a game for Norwich, but even putting that down to the recently sacked manager getting it wrong, he's been loaned out by Chelsea. If he were genuinely world class he would be starting pretty much every week for them.

I believe there are two valid definitions of the term.

One, the player would get in a hypothetical squad of players to take on Mars, say.

Two, the player is a top performer at world Cup level or similar. So, for example, Brian Laudrup and Henrik Larsson were both world class using this definition - but I can't think if any other players who were when they played regularly in Scotland.

2 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Jeezo.

Is there anything you guys won't suck the life right out of? 🤣

On sunny days I bet you wander around with your face tripping you saying "Aye but it'll be pishin doon the morra".

What a bunch of miserable b*****ds. What an outlook. 🤣

It is actually due to rain tomorrow now you mention it.

33 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It would take a pretty unlikely set of results for any team not to finish in the top two with 20 points. Even with Austria and Israel both taking 6 points from Moldova and the Faroes we've still ended up miles clear of them.

Obviously I'd have bitten your hand off for 2nd place a few months ago, but if you'd told me at the start of the group that we'd be sitting on 20 points at this stage I'd be a bit disappointed that outright qualification wasn't possible.

32 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I didn't say it was.  Allowing Austria and Israel to take only one point each from us was the key.  The point being discussed related to the margin ultimately being quite large.

Fair enough.

21 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

That's an interesting way to spin emotional repression but whetever works for you MT. 🤣

The reason you won't allow yourself to get "cvarried away" is that you're scared of getting hurt if we fail to qualify from the playoffs.

And so you stifle how you feel and justify this by covering it with an "I'm being rational" wrapper.

That's how emotional repression works in a nutshell.

It's only football. We'll all be dead soon enough. Live man. Live.

In what possible way does pretending that we've several World Class players constitute living life to the full?

24 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Jeezo.

Is there anything you guys won't suck the life right out of? 🤣

On sunny days I bet you wander around with your face tripping you saying "Aye but it'll be pishin doon the morra".

What a bunch of miserable b*****ds. What an outlook. 🤣

I'm an accountant, mate, it's a requirement of the job. 😉

1 hour ago, Empty It said:

Only Scotland fans could come in here the day after qualifying for the playoffs and greet because we're gloating about beating our closest competitors also talking down our players after a very decent performance, just enjoy it you shower of miserable b*****ds.

I doubt it.

Other countries must also house people who aren't absolutely demented.

I've never been one for this wha's like us stuff.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

In that case, James Tavernier must clearly be an Intergalactic Class player.  You'd think he'd get a sniff at an occasional England squad then, wouldn't you?