Moldova v Scotland

Sugar_Army

2 hours ago, Moomintroll said:

We were quite spectacularly naive back then, did Roxburgh not completely change a game plan based on a Taxi driver telling him that, I think, Paulo Futre was injured before we played Portugal? He was fine and Portugal proceeded to Roger us 5 nil.

I think the advice came via Bobby Robson.

39 minutes ago, Moomintroll said:

Surprised Robson could remember his name, probably told him the lad with the hair was crocked.

to be fair to Roxburgh, Robson was manger of Sporting Lisbon at the time and I don't know if the source (taxi driver) story came out until a few years later. 

8 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Have you never looked at past results?

I have in the past yeah

But I don't have as much time to watch or keep up with football before for a a lot of reasons / family / health / and others - but yeah - I know about Scotland only beating Zaire 2 - 0 in the 70's (I think) where we went out because we never scored enough against them when the 2 other teams did

Some past results I have read, some I have not and probably won't have the time to anymore

1 hour ago, nessies long lost ghost said:

I have in the past yeah

But I don't have as much time to watch or keep up with football before for a a lot of reasons / family / health / and others - but yeah - I know about Scotland only beating Zaire 2 - 0 in the 70's (I think) where we went out because we never scored enough against them when the 2 other teams did

Some past results I have read, some I have not and probably won't have the time to anymore

by the time it took you to write that you could have flipped through every Scotland WC group result between 74 and say 90. 

13 hours ago, BFTD said:

Just watched the highlights of the Costa Rica match, as I don't remember it very well. We had some gilt-edged chances, and Mo Johnston in particular must still wake up in a cold sweat with nightmares about that game.

But aye, they were obviously a halfway decent side, and are nowhere near the level of Moldova. I wonder if the SFA were still of the mentality that we didn't need to research opponents, a policy that stood us in such good stead in the past.

What a nightmare of a day that was.  i had driven to Genoa from Aberdeen (overnights on a ferry from Portsmouth and up in the Alps somwhere....we had a tent in the boot) The game was a nightmare but I do recall Scotland having the majority of the possession and missing numerous chances - their goalie was really on form.

After the game we could not find the car - think it took over 2 hours before we found it up a side street near where we had been looking for ages.  We planned on staying at a villa friends had rented at Alassio(?) but we were so far behind time and lost getting there that we decided to pitch the tent on a flat bit of grass at the side of the road - it was after midnight and we were all in a foul mood due to, well, everything.  I got up for a pee in the morning and opened up the tent flap to get outside.....I couldnt believe my eyes....there were loads of cars driving slowly past and I got a couple of toots on the horn.....it was pitch dark when we put up the tent but incredibly we had put it up on a roundabout and the commuting drivers, and to be fair ourselves, found this hilarious....it brightened the mood somewhat.

The next game in Genoa v Sweden by contrast is possibly the best atmosphere I have ever witnessed.

I also believe that we have a decent chance of taking 6 points from the next two games.  I believe we have enough experienced players to get us through Friday reasonably comfortably (saw Moldova v Denmark first half and they were honking)  Quite sure that we would need a point v Denmark for a seeding and as that is a significant prize (home semi with a full house) I just think this is more reason for our players to bust a gut, wheras the Danes would like a 100% record but it is not that important.

Back on Friday's game, Clarke may come up with an excuse for this however no shock that Eddie Howe joins Newcastle and Ryan Fraser is back to his old tricks of pulling out the squad with little appearing wrong on the surface.

I like Ryan Fraser as a player however I'd back Clarke in bombing him out after that.2551eaf382cad4d85ab88d43bb2c306f.jpg

9 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Some absolute wet wipes in here. Imagine getting stuck in a pub with them.

For the record we will beat Moldova and Denmark. Bookmark it.

I love your optimistic outlook mate,and your right off course we can beat Denmark we done it before 

But we will need to bring our 100 per cent A game,and hope that the Danes don't bring there top game

I would quite happilly settle for a boar draw in that game 0 0 

I would absolutely love us to turn on the style and beat them though 

But the main thing is we beat the Moldovans first 

15 hours ago, General dissaray said:

McLean has played as a CF and a CM when he was at St Mirren,he could still do a job up there for 20 mins as a make shift CF especially if we are winning getting on the ball drawing fouls and taking the sting out the game 

Aren't saying it's going to happen just saying it's a option when our two rapid guys burn themselves out

Aren't interested either about what you think about in terms off quality off the post

At least its a idea something that you never seem to do or contribute,all you do is red dot everyone because your so immature 

So all the red dotters in this,I've a question for you

So the system is working with the two up top,Brown scores runs his socks into the ground and gets hooked off

Nisbet comes on just as Adams pulls up a calf string 

Why would Clarke want to change the system when the shape and tempo is working?

Off course someone goes up through middle 

Any other contenders who has has done it before for club or country

If it isn't going to be McLean answering the SOS getting a rare opertunity up front?

Edited by General dissaray

Back on Friday's game, Clarke may come up with an excuse for this however no shock that Eddie Howe joins Newcastle and Ryan Fraser is back to his old tricks of pulling out the squad with little appearing wrong on the surface.

I like Ryan Fraser as a player however I'd back Clarke in bombing him out after that.2551eaf382cad4d85ab88d43bb2c306f.jpg
Could well be directly linked with Howe, although there's also a possibility he would've done this to "impress" any new manager. It's a shite look anyway.

8 minutes ago, General dissaray said:

So all the red dotters in this,I've a question for you

So the system is working with the two up top,Brown scores runs his socks into the ground

Nisbet comes on just as Adams pulls up a calf string 

Why would Clarke want to change the system?

Off course someone goes up through middle 

Any other contenders who has has done it before for club or country

If it isn't going to be McLean answering the SOS getting a rare opertunity up front?

OK so you're preferred team contains Maxwell Blackpool in goal, a back 3 of Naismith-Elliot-Hyam, Allan Campbell sitting and now McLean up front. Jesus.

2 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
17 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Could well be directly linked with Howe, although there's also a possibility he would've done this to "impress" any new manager. It's a shite look anyway.

It does look incredibly shite but it could be possible that he’s fit enough to do some training but not for enough to take part in an actual match. I’m not saying that’s the case as obviously I have no idea, but sure we had this with McBurnie before playing in a bounce game after pulling out the squad. 

Just now, Scumjob said:

OK so you're preferred team contains Maxwell Blackpool in goal, a back 3 of Naismith-Elliot-Hyam, Allan Campbell sitting and now McLean up front. Jesus.

It doesn't a wee boy wrote that because he got upset that I dared to liken Campbell to McGinn,and say he was a future Scotland International with potential to play in the EPL

Couple off seasons he will replace Jack that much is a given 

Just now, oneteaminglasgow said:

It does look incredibly shite but it could be possible that he’s fit enough to do some training but not for enough to take part in an actual match. I’m not saying that’s the case as obviously I have no idea, but sure we had this with McBurnie before playing in a bounce game after pulling out the squad. 

I hope you're right bit yeah it doesn't look good, if he's messing about then he should go the same way as McBurnie.

Think I'd probably go with either this

scotland-selector-moldova2-2021-428f64fa

Or this, but actually as a 3-4-2-1, with Mcginn and Armstrong behind Adams. That just wasn't one of the options on the bbc formation selection-

scotland-selector-moldova2-2021-ab09c2ea

Did think about trying to get McTominay into midfield and maybe playing Souttar at the right of the three, but hey ho. 

Clarke hinted at trying something different, so who knows how he'll set them up. Regardless, more than enough talent to stick it on these c***s