Moldova v Scotland

Sugar_Army

28 minutes ago, Scotty Tunbridge said:

All the nonsense posted in this thread today and this is still the worst shout of the day, fair play.

Gilmour beside McLean up front for the little and large act.

The Moldovans won’t know what to do.

3 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Correct. 0-2 minimum. 3 or 4 goals should be where we're at. Not having this 'aw but we have struggled against bad teams before'. We had a struggle away from home against the second worst side, which is something we have previous for, but we are usually comfy home and away versus the worst team in the group. 

Besides. We have a good squad of players, a happy camp and a good manager. All this 'but but but typical Scotland' stuff is hoary old pish. 

Anything other than a victory will go down as one of the absolute low points of our international history. 

Faroes are the worst team in the group, IMO. 

1 hour ago, Ken Deans said:

We're going to have to trouble the net twice to get a win here. I believe we will 

Players and managers come and go, but the fact is our record against the so-called diddies in qualifying groups is abysmal. Only once this century (11 WC & Euros sections) have we NOT dropped points against one or other of the bottom two seeds. It has nullified good results against the better teams. It has killed our qualification chances. We got away with it with a belated win in the Faroes, but historically we bugger it up in exactly these type of "easier" games.  I agree that scoring twice over there is probably necessary. My fear is we score first, early on, and then try holding out for a one-nil, Steve Clark style. Torture. Yes, two goals needed. Come to think of it, how many impressive performances have we posted in those 8 qualifiers to date? Two? If we win 2-0 would anyone be surprised? Not really. If we draw 0-0 would anyone be surprised? Not really. If we lose 1-0 would anyone be surprised? Not really. We've seen it all before many times. Costa Rica anyone? Remember those diddies? Cheer up ffs.

4 minutes ago, nate said:

Players and managers come and go, but the fact is our record against the so-called diddies in qualifying groups is abysmal. Only once this century (11 WC & Euros sections) have we NOT dropped points against one or other of the bottom two seeds. It has nullified good results against the better teams. It has killed our qualification chances. We got away with it with a belated win in the Faroes, but historically we bugger it up in exactly these type of "easier" games.  I agree that scoring twice over there is probably necessary. My fear is we score first, early on, and then try holding out for a one-nil, Steve Clark style. Torture. Yes, two goals needed. Come to think of it, how many impressive performances have we posted in those 8 qualifiers to date? Two? If we win 2-0 would anyone be surprised? Not really. If we draw 0-0 would anyone be surprised? Not really. If we lose 1-0 would anyone be surprised? Not really. We've seen it all before many times. Costa Rica anyone? Remember those diddies? Cheer up ffs.

Going to stick my neck out and say that I expect us to win,unhappy our spine is missing in Hanley and Dykes though 

Unhappy to we got little by no means off creativity to come on without Fraser and Christie 

We should had a extra forward in the squad anyway probably Dembele and could slotted in wide or up front if we need a impact sub

I don't see why he couldn't bring another player in he would been perfect in this scenario and have another forward already in squad like Russell to come on

I think we need to win with all hands to the pump for 90 and hope and goal from set play and maybe a McGinn goal from midfield settles it cos we have hardly any options to throw on with the suspensions 

9 minutes ago, nate said:

Not really. If we lose 1-0 would anyone be surprised? Not really. We've seen it all before many times. Costa Rica anyone? Remember those diddies? Cheer up ffs.

Is this the same Costa Rica team who got to the quarter finals of the last world cup?

2 minutes ago, nessies long lost ghost said:

Is this the same Costa Rica team who got to the quarter finals of the last world cup?

no, it was about 20 years before that in 1990, when everyone -Scottish fans and media alike - had written them off as Group fodder on account of them being World Cup virgins. They turned out to be tactically miles ahead of us. I should know...i was at the game. More uninformed comments welcome, please.

Just now, nate said:

no, it was about 20 years before that in 1990, when everyone -Scottish fans and media alike - had written them off as Group fodder on account of them being World Cup virgins. They turned out to be tactically miles ahead of us. I should know...i was at the game. More uninformed comments welcome, please.

I thought you were referring to the defeat at Hampden a few years ago

No need to be a dick.

9 minutes ago, nate said:

I question how far Clarke has taken us and think we should be doing a lot better with the current crop of players available to us. I also question squad selections and with the current squad, the inclusion of Brown over Russell is perplexing. Our performances have not been consistent and we haven't built on good performances (which the manager takes credit for and rightly so), regressing on the back of what could be termed false dawns. 

But despite this, I do concede that you have to hand it to Clarke and the results he has pulled together. Clarke's "style" is not to try and hold on to a one - nil; the game may pan out that way but in a lot of games, not putting the ball in the net despite a host of chances has been one of our biggest problems. That's not down to the manager but bad luck and lack of composure and a real quality striker available to us. 

If you can't see that, then you haven't been watching the games which may suggest you are just trolling on the back of the tone of your first hand dozen posts.....

2 minutes ago, nate said:

Aye though iirc we had umpteen chanced before they scored then they also beat Sweden. Unlucky against Brazil last game. Same old same old

2 minutes ago, nessies long lost ghost said:

I thought you were referring to the defeat at Hampden a few years ago

No need to be a dick.

Apologies for the sarcasm. Am getting p***kly ahead of Friday. Sorry.

I can honestly see us making this harder than it needs to be. We seem to struggle against teams that mainly sit behind the ball and we have to break down. I was at the Moldova match at Hampden and didn’t think they looked much worse than the Faroes. 

I do think we’ll win, but I think it’ll be another 1-0. Worst case scenario 0-0, if we are still struggling to score.

2 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I can honestly see us making this harder than it needs to be. We seem to struggle against teams that mainly sit behind the ball and we have to break down. I was at the Moldova match at Hampden and didn’t think they looked much worse than the Faroes. 

I do think we’ll win, but I think it’ll be another 1-0. Worst case scenario 0-0, if we are still struggling to score.

We got a set peice coach now,hopefully he has time to come up with something off the training pitch

Austin McPhee

5 minutes ago, Jambomo said:

I'd take that 1-0 right now. I do think it'll be a routine 2-0 with maybe the odd minute of panic. 

We are looking a bit limited up front.

I thought James Forrest might have got the nod with Frazer being out. 

10 minutes ago, nessies long lost ghost said:

Apology accepted

I never knew Scotland were in a world cup group with Costa Rica before but I was born in 1993 so wouldn't know

Whaddaya know, I've reached the age where I start envying young people.

I'd take that 1-0 right now. I do think it'll be a routine 2-0 with maybe the odd minute of panic. 
We are looking a bit limited up front.
I thought James Forrest might have got the nod with Frazer being out. 

Forrest only has a couple of cameo sub appearances for Celtic since coming back from a long-term injury.

33 minutes ago, nate said:

Still cursing Roxburgh for picking McInally tbh.  Absolute pudding.  

They did get to the last 16 in Italy though, they were a good team.  There's a difference between thinking a team who'd qualified would be worse than us and playing the 181st best team in the world though