Moldova v Scotland

Sugar_Army

2 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

I know mind Scotland teams back to 95 and this beats them all. They're one fucking sexy squad of winners.

I can remember back to Euro 92 and this is by far the best team we’ve had since then without question or debate.

So random question what relation does "young at heart" have with Scotland games? was in a pub playing this when we scored etc what's it all about?

It was a dreadful song when it was released and it still is now.

Just when we finally managed to get rid of doe a deer this crap pops  up instead.

Edited by red23

1 hour ago, red23 said:

So random question what relation does "young at heart" have with Scotland games? was in a pub playing this when we scored etc what's it all about?

It was a dreadful song when it was released and it still is now.

Just when we finally managed to get rid of doe a deer this crap pops  up instead.

The Bluebells were a scottish band iirc. That may be enough.

Quite liking this team. For a while I felt we were missing the moany bastartness of Barry Ferguson, but KT is filling that role admirably. I love that he allowed himself a whole 3 seconds of celebration time at the opener before giving someone a stern talking to. Gilmour was constantly directing play even without the ball. The armband could be given to about 7 or 8 of the regular starters and you wouldn't complain. It's a team filled with character and will only become more so over time. 

19 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Calm down for God's sake.

We've had much better sides in living memory and although World Class is an ill defined term, we sure as Hell don't have "several" players in the category.

Surely that depends how long your 'living memory' is? Yours is about what mine is and we've probably had better sides in the 70s at least. We've certainly had better goal threats in the 80s and even 90s. But its not a big reach to suggest its our best side this century (it almost certainly is). I personally think the current squad is better than the one that reached the 98 World Cup too. 

'World class' is hugely subjective of course. I think the likes of Tierney and Robertson at least may be considered for it. The latter has both a Premiership and Champions League winners medal to back up his case. Gilmour has the potential to be world class too, although it also has to be remembered for all his comfort in a Scotland shirt, he's not currently getting a game for Norwich! 

And Dykes obviously. 😉

EDIT - Posted before I read the 3 pages of debate that followed so appreciate largely already said by others. I'm leaving it up though.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

The Bluebells were a scottish band iirc. That may be enough.
Quite liking this team. For a while I felt we were missing the moany bastartness of Barry Ferguson, but KT is filling that role admirably. I love that he allowed himself a whole 3 seconds of celebration time at the opener before giving someone a stern talking to. Gilmour was constantly directing play even without the ball. The armband could be given to about 7 or 8 of the regular starters and you wouldn't complain. It's a team filled with character and will only become more so over time. 

Absolutely. There are loads of potential captains now and in the future.

Tierney, Robertson, McGinn, Dykes, McTominay and McLean seem like the biggest characters in the group.

Cooper, Gordon, Hanley, McGregor and O'Donnell all captain their club.

Gilmour will probably get the armband eventually when he becomes our best player.

Ferguson, McKenna, Souttar and Hendry have all been chosen to step in at their clubs IIRC.

I'm sure this will have been the case with some of our squads that were pretty shite too, but I think it's played a part in the atmosphere that all the players and staff talk about.

7 hours ago, velo army said:

The armband could be given to about 7 or 8 of the regular starters and you wouldn't complain.

That's a great point, I can't remember who said it but the quote was that the best international teams are filled with captains. 

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned on here before but the national team(s)'s digital output is really terrific, isn't it?

That was brilliant, thanks for sharing.

McGinn's back heel is utterly filthy.

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

I'm not sure if it's been mentioned on here before but the national team(s)'s digital output is really terrific, isn't it?

Why, Yes. That's definitely some of the best Players Wandering Around Wearing Lanyards to a Soundtrack footage I've ever seen.

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Surely that depends how long your 'living memory' is? Yours is about what mine is and we've probably had better sides in the 70s at least. We've certainly had better goal threats in the 80s and even 90s. But its not a big reach to suggest its our best side this century (it almost certainly is). I personally think the current squad is better than the one that reached the 98 World Cup too. 

'World class' is hugely subjective of course. I think the likes of Tierney and Robertson at least may be considered for it. The latter has both a Premiership and Champions League winners medal to back up his case. Gilmour has the potential to be world class too, although it also has to be remembered for all his comfort in a Scotland shirt, he's not currently getting a game for Norwich! 

And Dykes obviously. 😉

EDIT - Posted before I read the 3 pages of debate that followed so appreciate largely already said by others. I'm leaving it up though.

McCoist and M*J* were a pretty good front two until the latter spat his dummy out the pram

And when we played a back three it included Boyd ,  Calderwood , Hendry , McLaren et al

Edited by Ewan8472

4 hours ago, 2426255 said:

As were Tierney's nutmegs.

This! When you study the highlights, there are some absurdly sexy touches & moves.

I love this squad of players, I’m not too confident about the play-offs as there will be some quality sides in there, but, I don’t think we could be better equipped than we are at present. 
The Denmark game might give us an impression of how we stand, as they are a quality side. 

7 hours ago, oaksoft said:

There's no doubt that this squad would utterly hump any Scotland squad from the 90s onwards.

Not sure about that, especially the euro 96 and world cup teams. we aren't world beaters by any stretch of imagination, when was the last really good team we beat? if we beat denmark and get to world cup i'll maybe give you it

15 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Anyone over the age of 40-45 won't have seen anything like it.

It's wortth letting that sink in for a second.

I'm working on it.

So people under 40 will have seen something similar before, but that's not the case for those who've been around for longer?

Yip, it's another corker of a point Mate.

21 hours ago, oaksoft said:

There's no doubt that this squad would utterly hump any Scotland squad from the 90s onwards.

I'm not sure about the Euro 2008 qualifying team - that was a very good team who would most likely have finished in the top two of this group too, albeit perhaps not with as many points as the current team given that they did lose to both Ukraine and Georgia.