Moldova v Scotland

Sugar_Army

On 13/10/2021 at 11:09, Clown Job said:

Should probably take it with a pinch of salt, but it’s wild how many people you’ll see on social media who claim not to like international football yet get upset at Scotland succeeding or try to downplay it. 

The flag waving zombies are something else, especially on twitter. Accuse every natsi of being hateful of anything English yet want their own national team to fail.

Not tarring the Rangers fans on here with that brush. Pretty much sound as a Scottish pound 😚

14 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

f**k, any chance tickets will be floating about when we're there?

As long as the Moldovan authorities aren't being arsey then home end should be fine even if at 50% capacity looking at their attendance v Denmark. Crowd was 2600 and capacity at 50% would be over 5k.

Tierney an injury concern apparently:
https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/kieran-tierney-arsenal-injury-concern-25280370

These scares seem to have happened a lot with him in the last 2 years, though they rarely seem to actually amount to anything (the annoying Euros Czech opener aside).

Thankfully they don’t pull him from the squad each time he has a knock now. He missed all ten qualifying group games in the last campaign.

I just want this game over and done with....with three points obviously....but the wait for 12th November is too long.  I would love to be really confident but not liking all the scare stories regarding injuries...and still quite a few games for other key players to get through.

I recall watching Moldova v Denmark in the pub after the israel game - they looked awful but I didnt think they were so bad when they played at Hampden - admitedly we should have taken our chances which were fairly numerous and they may well have crumbled if they had gone two or three down - as they did v Denmark.

3 hours ago, Caledonian1 said:

I just want this game over and done with....with three points obviously....but the wait for 12th November is too long.  I would love to be really confident but not liking all the scare stories regarding injuries...and still quite a few games for other key players to get through.

I recall watching Moldova v Denmark in the pub after the israel game - they looked awful but I didnt think they were so bad when they played at Hampden - admitedly we should have taken our chances which were fairly numerous and they may well have crumbled if they had gone two or three down - as they did v Denmark.

If it helps, I thought Moldova were the worst side to visit Hampden, excepting Gibraltar and San Marino.

Even the poor sides, Liechtenstein, Kazakhstan, Faroes etc. create the odd chance, and in fact, all three have scored against us.

Moldova did the square root of F all that night.  They were utterly abysmal, and the only reason we didn't score 6 was because of appalling shooting.

Moldova conceded 8 to Denmark after all.  No one even remotely reasonable concedes 8 in international football.

Edited by HuttonDressedAsLahm

1 hour ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

Moldova did the square root of F all that night.  They were utterly abysmal, and the only reason we didn't score 6 was because of appalling shooting.

Moldova conceded 8 to Denmark after all.  No one even remotely reasonable concedes 8 in international football.

I really don't get this point. It comes up a lot after we've struggled against minnows. Saying we'd have won handsomely if only we could shoot is exactly the same as saying that we'd have kept a clean sheet if only our goalkeeper didn't have one leg and our star defender didn't keep scoring own goals.

Also, we conceded nine once when we were supposedly quite good  :P

2 hours ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

If it helps, I thought Moldova were the worst side to visit Hampden, excepting Gibraltar and San Marino.

Even the poor sides, Liechtenstein, Kazakhstan, Faroes etc. create the odd chance, and in fact, all three have scored against us.

It's tough when they sit 10 men behind the ball though,that is why more variation on the bench is needed

With Forrest missing we need pace to come on fresh or have another CF in the Dykes mould for like for like if the long balls working and he needs to come off injured 

Fraser and Christie are different options more creative options in my opinion than another out and out classic 9 or pacey striker that would run the CB into the ground 

Especially against the tougher sides this could count for or against us

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

I really don't get this point. It comes up a lot after we've struggled against minnows. Saying we'd have won handsomely if only we could shoot is exactly the same as saying that we'd have kept a clean sheet if only our goalkeeper didn't have one leg and our star defender didn't keep scoring own goals.

Also, we conceded nine once when we were supposedly quite good  :P

No it's not at all.  It's to demonstrate that it wasn't a hit-and-run like beating France 1-0, twice.  Surely, that much is obvious?

Moldova haven't beaten a team inside the top 100 in the World since 2013.  During that time their only wins are v San Marino, Azerbaijan, and Andorra.  That's quite literally it. In 8 (eight) years.

We utterly dominated them at Hampden.  The score was not a reflection on the performance.  That better?

6 minutes ago, HuttonDressedAsLahm said:

No it's not at all.  It's to demonstrate that it wasn't a hit-and-run like beating France 1-0, twice.  Surely, that much is obvious?

Moldova haven't beaten a team inside the top 100 in the World since 2013.  During that time their only wins are v San Marino, Azerbaijan, and Andorra.  That's quite literally it. In 8 (eight) years.

We utterly dominated them at Hampden.  The score was not a reflection on the performance.  That better?

I can't say I agree with that at all. We managed to scrape a 1-0 win at home against one of the worst teams in Europe, and were happy to settle for that by the end as we were out of ideas. We could have had 99% of the possession and 100 corners and it still wouldn't have been a good performance because we were almost incapable of doing the one thing that was required. The reason we didn't score six is because we weren't good enough to score six.

We came even closer to disaster against the Faeroes too. Considering how well the team has done in some of the bigger games, this has certainly been one of the more memorable campaigns.

13 minutes ago, BFTD said:

I can't say I agree with that at all. We managed to scrape a 1-0 win at home against one of the worst teams in Europe, and were happy to settle for that by the end as we were out of ideas. We could have had 99% of the possession and 100 corners and it still wouldn't have been a good performance because we were almost incapable of doing the one thing that was required. The reason we didn't score six is because we weren't good enough to score six.

We came even closer to disaster against the Faeroes too. Considering how well the team has done in some of the bigger games, this has certainly been one of the more memorable campaigns.

Scrape?!  We scraped an 89th minute winner against The Faroes.  We scored in 14 against Moldova and never remotely looked like conceding.

I'm all for being critical on performances but this revisionist history that makes Moldova sound like Austria is just a wee bit absurd.

Anyway, we can argue semantics all day.  The facts state that Moldova are the bottom seed, and they are - by ranking - the third worst side we've ever played.  They are 180th in the world and haven't won a WC/EC qualifier since 2013.

I for one, am not panicking.  We'll win this 2/3-0 and at a canter.