Moldova v Scotland

Sugar_Army

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Wonder if Clarke will call someone else up to play as a target man as a like-for-like with Dykes or try something different up front. We've had a few pairs upfront in his tenure but almost always had a big lad up there to hold the ball up. I don't care if we go on to win the World Cup if he recalls McBurnie I'll never forgive him

I'm not sure he will. I think given Dykes has a one game ban, he'll get a call up for the Denmark game and to call up someone else would mean then dropping them a few days later. I think he will just slot Adams in place of Dykes and if he goes with two up front, either Nisbet or maybe Fraser just off Adams.

I do think there is a place in the squad for another midfielder, but have doubts it will be Gauld given the possible restrictions. 

My gut is it will be pretty much the squad from the last few games and be a body or two light for Moldova 

1 minute ago, Theyellowbox said:

I'm not sure he will. I think given Dykes has a one game ban, he'll get a call up for the Denmark game and to call up someone else would mean then dropping them a few days later. I think he will just slot Adams in place of Dykes and if he goes with two up front, either Nisbet or maybe Fraser just off Adams.

I do think there is a place in the squad for another midfielder, but have doubts it will be Gauld given the possible restrictions. 

My gut is it will be pretty much the squad from the last few games and be a body or two light for Moldova 

There’s no fixed squad size for qualifiers like there is for tournaments. He could call up 50-60 players if he felt like it (although the SFA might not want to pay for that many hotel rooms). 

There’s no reason why Clarke can’t call up a Dykes replacement and keep them around for both games 

Edited by Donathan

I'd expect a slightly bigger squad purely because there's a risk of picking up some suspensions for the Denmark game and he also might want to leave a couple out for Denmark to avoid a suspension risk. It could easily be a bigger squad without actually bringing in new faces though, given some of the guys that missed out on this one.

4 hours ago, ahemps said:

I'd take 1-0 right now.

Goal in the first five minutes and I'm on board.

Steve Clarke has obviously learned Fergie's injury-time winner spell but, as an apprentice wizard, I'm concerned that he might run out of mana at the crucial moment.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

There's a large element of Rangers fans (including in the media) who are desperate for Clarke to fail because he bodied their tinpot outfit up and down the land for two years.

Also because he's manager of the Scotland national team.

3 hours ago, Stellaboz said:

Cannae wait! Booked up for this since fucking ages. 

I hear Chisinau in November is lovely.

In all seriousness though, the Moldovan people are great even if the place isn't up to much. There's been so much corruption and political pisstaking over there that the country has never had a proper chance to make anything of itself in the post-Soviet era.

2 hours ago, Donathan said:

There’s no fixed squad size for qualifiers like there is for tournaments. He could call up 50-60 players if he felt like it (although the SFA might not want to pay for that many hotel rooms). 

There’s no reason why Clarke can’t call up a Dykes replacement and keep them around for both games 

This !

If it was up to me, this would be the perfect time to get Ryan Gauld involved. We're short up front and he's overdue a call up. I can't see Clarke doing it though - I think he values continuity over anything at the minute and Gauld is definitely a wildcard. 

10 hours ago, Meadow_Jock said:

Thanks for that, mate. Much appreciated. 

With the greatest respect to the lad, they aren’t the best shouts IMO. While Edinburgh isn’t good at all for watching football (understatement) don’t go to the Queens Arms, Cambridge Bar or Guildford. I don’t think the latter even shows football but at least it has decent beer. All will be busy on a Friday with Tories/tourists.

Depending what you’re looking for/what area:

Pear Tree/Three sisters. Will be full of loud wee dafties/student but both with massive screens and will be lively.

The Globe. Big screens and is usually lively but a weirder crowd. 

Haymarket Bar/Platform 5. Both will be busy enough and plenty screens.

The Beehive is usually v popular but doesn’t sell Tennents so I avoid. 

Cask and Barrel (Broughton Street). Belting boozer but likely an older crowd.

17 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I'd expect a slightly bigger squad purely because there's a risk of picking up some suspensions for the Denmark game and he also might want to leave a couple out for Denmark to avoid a suspension risk. It could easily be a bigger squad without actually bringing in new faces though, given some of the guys that missed out on this one.

• McTominay, Hendry, O'Donnell, Patterson, Gilmour, McGinn, Adams and Nisbet are the players on a yellow card by my estimation.
  • McLaughlin, Kelly, McKenna, O'Donnell, McLean, Ferguson, Armstrong and Turnbull were the players not playing any minutes with 16/24 getting game time.

On 13/10/2021 at 00:44, bleedingums said:

With both Dykes and Christie suspended, is it finally the time to have a look at Gauld? He’s been making some big Impressions.

Time is right for him to be involved with the squad at least. 

Has the media asked Clarke about him? What more can the lad do. Pull on the green or blue of Glasgow? play in England?

13 minutes ago, Dennis_WYNESS said:

Has the media asked Clarke about him? 

Yes.

Ryan Gauld: Scotland head coach Steve Clarke says difficult to fit Farense player in. Scotland head coach Steve Clarke says Farense's Ryan Gauld is unfortunate to have missed out on the Euros squad, but that his competition for a place was just too stiff.

https://www.facebook.com/bbcsportscotland/videos/822846971950317/

Since then, not heard any more.

Edited by 2426255