The Snobbery Thread

ICTChris

3 hours ago, pozbaird said:

I’ve played golf since age 13, and am now 60. I’ve therefore been in and around golf clubs for a long, long time. Don’t think I’ve ever encountered snobbery in that world.

And, ahem, moving right along. 😛

Chances are, coming from the Paisley/Johnstone area, you'll be aware of this true story.

A few years ago some of the members at Lochwinnoch Golf Club, decided to enter a team for the local pub darts league, to give them something to do in the winter evenings.

A team from the village came up to the golf club for the first game, and were dismayed to find a sign at the entrance stating :

No Jeans or Trainers here please.  

They were assured by the members they would be made welcome despite the fact they were all wearing jeans and trainers. They went in and played their match, but felt a little uncomfortable.

One week later, at a return match in the local village pub, the golf club members were confronted by a sign at the front door stating :

No Pringle Sweaters Here Please

6 hours ago, MONKMAN said:

Too many people think they’re somehow middle class nowadays, as they’re mortgaged out their eyeballs on a new build estate and have a leased bmw in the drive.  One month without a wage and a lot of these people would be in the shit.  

New builds seem to attract quite a lot of snobbery for some reason I find. 

Car financing is an oft misunderstood concept. 

Bear with me, I spend a lot of work time in a car so I don’t think it unfair that I want to sit somewhere nice. 

2008 I bought a Garnet Red Audi A5 - a thing of utter beauty if you like cars; if you treat them as white goods, move along, nothing to be learned here. 

It was only car I’ve ever bought brand new out the wrapper for ‘cash’.  

Sold it 4 years later at 100k miles to a car dealer friend I did work for at the time. He called me a madman to my face (perfectly fair) - I’d dropped £30k in depreciation when I could’ve leased it for the same period for less than £20k - and this was a guy in the selling trade.  

Unsurprisingly he chucked the trade a couple of years later - it’s a tough gig selling used cars for £15-£20k when anyone can walk into Arnold Clark and prove they’ve £300/month spare income and walk away with a brand new one. 

I then leased for the next couple because the rental charges made the decision a no-brainer. 

Current circumstances mean my last couple of cars have been used low mileage numbers bought outright. It’s just a case of doing the mental man maths to see what suits at the time. 

It’s not a snobbery issue. 

19 minutes ago, throbber said:

New builds seem to attract quite a lot of snobbery for some reason I find. 

Type of chaps who buy all their own furniture, as was said about Michael Heseltine. If you don't live in a 300 year old house with furniture passed down to you from William the Conqueror, you're common as shite in your new build with his and hers Audis.

Edited by welshbairn

7 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

The favourite round this way right now are the residents of the clutch of social housing properties that planners insist are built as part of any new build estate. This generally stems from the god awful way the builders shoehorn in say 20 flats or 1 bed terraces amongst a development of 4/5/6 bed detached villas.

Every single issue is blamed squarely on the "scum" in the social housing. Some of the Facebook posts are up there with the worst racism you would see. And woe betide any single mother who has the "fortune" to be allocated one of these properties. That ramps it up another 100%.

Saw that fairly recently in the area where I live which I guess you'd describe as "leafy" - there was a sort of triangle of grass abutting the railway maybe 200ft wide and 50ft deep where a developer had apparently fired in a speculative application to build on. I'd barely registered it was there, but everyone in the immediate area started receiving literature on a weekly basis about how they planned to ruin our "much-loved local green space"

TBH I doubt a builder could have fitted any more than four houses on the plot - I think it was more the fact that one of them might end up being social housing that shat up the curtain-twitchers, because they might end up living in the same postcode as somebody poor.

The level of organisation they deployed was almost military - within about a month the "concerned residents" had got the council to designate the plot as the saddest-looking wee park you've ever seen.

8 hours ago, Billy Jean King said:

The favourite round this way right now are the residents of the clutch of social housing properties that planners insist are built as part of any new build estate. This generally stems from the god awful way the builders shoehorn in say 20 flats or 1 bed terraces amongst a development of 4/5/6 bed detached villas.

Every single issue is blamed squarely on the "scum" in the social housing. Some of the Facebook posts are up there with the worst racism you would see. And woe betide any single mother who has the "fortune" to be allocated one of these properties. That ramps it up another 100%.

When I started reading this thread about 10 mins ago, this was my exact thought about where I live.

Good quality estate with a cracking school. And a good warning sign of which residents are OK, and which should be avoided like the plague, is listening to (or reading on the local  FB page) how they describe the small Link Housing cluster, which is right in the middle of where we live.

3 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

When I started reading this thread about 10 mins ago, this was my exact thought about where I live.

Good quality estate with a cracking school. And a good warning sign of which residents are OK, and which should be avoided like the plague, is listening to (or reading on the local  FB page) how they describe the small Link Housing cluster, which is right in the middle of where we live.

Kinnaird?

2 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

^Hedgecutter alias found^

Yeah, exactly.

We're just along from you in The Inches. We'd heard about the snobbery before we moved but we needed somewhere close to where the kids went to school (not Kinnaird but another local school with autism provision).

We've made some adaptations to our house / garden for the benefit of the kids and had comments directly about how we've ruined the street and are nothing but scum.

1 minute ago, Gaz said:

We're just along from you in The Inches. We'd heard about the snobbery before we moved but we needed somewhere close to where the kids went to school (not Kinnaird but another local school with autism provision).

We've made some adaptations to our house / garden for the benefit of the kids and had comments directly about how we've ruined the street and are nothing but scum.

We've lived in 3 houses in the Inches before we bought this one in Kinnaird, and the residents are indistinguishable in both areas. 

Either decent, sound people, or absolute c*nts who have a big hit for themselves on account of their postcode, and what they think it does for their social standing. Hyacinth Bouquet types abound.

2 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

We've lived in 3 houses in the Inches before we bought this one in Kinnaird, and the residents are indistinguishable in both areas. 

Either decent, sound people, or absolute c*nts who have a big hit for themselves on account of their postcode, and what they think it does for their social standing. Hyacinth Bouquet types abound.

Agree 100%.

As it happens our kids' schooling circumstances have changed and Larbert is a PITA for my work so we're looking to move within the next year and will actively be avoiding new build housing estates as much as possible.

2 minutes ago, Gaz said:

Agree 100%.

As it happens our kids' schooling circumstances have changed and Larbert is a PITA for my work so we're looking to move within the next year and will actively be avoiding new build housing estates as much as possible.

You've got to protect your family as much as possible, but that's part of the issue IMO, sneering c***s look down on a certain demographics= those demographics don't fell welcome = sneering c***s get their way.   

Again I want to place the blame on sneering c***s, I just wish the Balance could be shifted so the sneering c***s become the unwelcome.

11 minutes ago, gannonball said:

It’s absolutely rife on here tbh. 

Also 90 odd % of new builds are utter utter garbage with ridiculously inflated prices compared to better built older houses in the very near vicinity.

What I find strange, and I'm not sure terribly legal in Scots law but perhaps someone can enlighten me, is the restrictions builders put on houses in these new build estates. If I've bought my house I'll paint in whatever colour I want and Cala or whoever can gettae.

12 minutes ago, tamthebam said:

What I find strange, and I'm not sure terribly legal in Scots law but perhaps someone can enlighten me, is the restrictions builders put on houses in these new build estates. If I've bought my house I'll paint in whatever colour I want and Cala or whoever can gettae.

Is it not the Council who have rules on that re planning permission? To stop some c**t in Tobermory doing their house pebbledash beige for instance?

Tobermory_800x800.jpg?v=1571438587

I went to a primary school which was quite evenly split between rich and poor children.

I got bullied by someone because my dad was a joiner and my mum worked in a nursing home. I still don’t understand why I’d getting bullied for that.

The most damaging form of snobbery is undoubtedly NIMBYISM. For a perfect example - consider the case of Angela and Ian in Kent in this article: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-58747051

The UK, and specifically SE England, has a chronic housing shortage and this leads to a generational wealth gap and is a handbrake on growth. Across the political spectrum everyone agrees this is an issue and even the Adam Smith institute (which would be hated by its namesake) supports the reform of archaic and outdated planning laws. And hopefully the complete binning of the green belt. Sadly, the Conservative government came out explicitly against this policy during their conference. This isn't a right vs. left issue, it's entrenched interests keeping their foot on the neck of anyone not lucky enough to buy in Kent in the 1990s. 

Re. leasing cars, in some instances this is certainly the right thing - cars are generally terrible assets. I did like the an analogy that for any car dealership, the car itself is almost superfluous, it's a vehicle (no pun intended) for financing options. If you pay in cash or with an unsecured loan (as mentioned earlier) their revenue from the sale will go through the floor (the poor used car salesman I know).

I'm a minamilist and have no real interests in possesions, I haven't even been aware of people lording it over me with their fancy cars or TVs but if they are - it's pretty amusing. I have noticed when in the company of people who believe they are rich - they love talking about their possesions, whether their house / holiday home / car etc. It's pretty crap and uninteresting chat IMO.

The studies on the subject have shown that paying for experiences will make you much happier over the longer term than the temporary boost you get from that new Ikea table (are there fancier furnitue shops? I couldn't even name one...). There is a huge amount of wasteful consumption in the Western World (often fuelled by finance), I think many people would be happier with less. It would be dire for those who put their savings into equities though....

I've always thought someone with a fancy car probably isn't very good with money.

Edited by Satoshi