The Snobbery Thread

ICTChris

Too many people think they’re somehow middle class nowadays, as they’re mortgaged out their eyeballs on a new build estate and have a leased bmw in the drive.  One month without a wage and a lot of these people would be in the shit.  

Too many people think they’re somehow middle class nowadays, as they’re mortgaged out their eyeballs on a new build estate and have a leased bmw in the drive.  One month without a wage and a lot of these people would be in the shit.  

That's my favourite, you've not made it until you've got a 95% mortgage on a new build with your new leased car on the driveway with everything from the TV to your bed on finance and these are the folk looking down on people for not living beyond their means.

2 minutes ago, Empty It said:
9 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

That's my favourite, you've not made it until you've got a 95% mortgage on a new build with your new leased car on the driveway with everything from the TV to your bed on finance and these are the folk looking down on people for not living beyond their means.

Aye, but look at the picture on thst 4k oled screen man!!

You missed the hot tub !

I've met real aristos in my time and never had any snobbery off them. You're not particularly important to them but they're polite enough not to show that. 

The worst snobbery comes from the "considerable richer than you" types. The sort of person who would turn up in "The Broons" only for them to see their father going tattie howking with Grandpaw or something. 

There is also reverse snobbery of course. But that's for a different thread. 

Having a mortgage and a leased car are perfectly normal things.  They must be as I have both.

I think that the conspicious consumption thing drives a lot of snobbery, from the blunt sort of "people on benefits with flat screen TVs" to more subtle views of social markers, tastelessness etc.

I am lucky enough to be in a reasonably well paid job but I do find some of the stuff colleagues spend their money on to be completely insane.  One of my colleagues has six TVs in his house (living room, kitchen, his room, two kids rooms and bathroom).  Am I being a snob when I think that's over the top?  

10 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

I am lucky enough to be in a reasonably well paid job but I do find some of the stuff colleagues spend their money on to be completely insane.  One of my colleagues has six TVs in his house (living room, kitchen, his room, two kids rooms and bathroom).  Am I being a snob when I think that's over the top?  

How is Stuart Dickson these days? 

Having a mortgage and a leased car are perfectly normal things.  They must be as I have both.
I think that the conspicious consumption thing drives a lot of snobbery, from the blunt sort of "people on benefits with flat screen TVs" to more subtle views of social markers, tastelessness etc.
Tbf watching tv whilst on the toilet must be quality.

I grew up around a lot of academic snobbery and their was no way i wasn't going to uni and I wasn't allowed even apply to likes Caley/Abertay/Paisley.

I've family members who are self made milloonaires, ones a total c**t as is the wife and ones a lovely bloke.

I rent, I'm dependant on benefits and I'm a single maw so direct all daily mail outrage this way!

I grew up around a lot of academic snobbery and their was no way i wasn't going to uni and I wasn't allowed even apply to likes Caley/Abertay/Paisley.

I've family members who are self made milloonaires, ones a total c**t as is the wife and ones a lovely bloke.

I rent, I'm dependant on benefits and I'm a single maw so direct all daily mail outrage this way!
Depends how large your TV is [emoji23]

1 hour ago, Billy Jean King said:

The favourite round this way right now are the residents of the clutch of social housing properties that planners insist are built as part of any new build estate. This generally stems from the god awful way the builders shoehorn in say 20 flats or 1 bed terraces amongst a development of 4/5/6 bed detached villas.

Every single issue is blamed squarely on the "scum" in the social housing. Some of the Facebook posts are up there with the worst racism you would see. And woe betide any single mother who has the "fortune" to be allocated one of these properties. That ramps it up another 100%.

I totally agree with this, as Rosette No. 2 and her husband and Mini-rosette copped for one of these before they managed to get on the property ladder. In fairness, one of her next-door neighbours was an absolute arsehóle - public drug use and drinking, inappropriate noise levels, etc., and the other three houses at that end of the development got pelters by association. (He recently got banged up for a few years on an AR charge, so there's that.)