The Snobbery Thread

ICTChris

On 11/10/2021 at 13:23, MONKMAN said:

Too many people think they’re somehow middle class nowadays, as they’re mortgaged out their eyeballs on a new build estate and have a leased bmw in the drive.  One month without a wage and a lot of these people would be in the shit. 

^^^ Mortgaged out his eyeballs on a new build estate with a leased BMW next to her leased Fiat 500.

On 11/10/2021 at 10:50, ICTChris said:

Thought I'd start a thread about snobbery, something that I've found increasingly interesting in the last couple of years.  There's an image of Scotland that we are more equal and less stratified that other countries, specifically England, but I'm not sure it particuarly holds up.   

If you define snobbery in terms of social stratification then E'burgh is the most snobbish city in Britain. 

I can't think of another city where 25% of pupils go to fee paying schools, for example.  You also have a clique around the West End/New Town/Stockbridge which is dominated by old money - Fettes/Loretto/Gordonstoun - types with a double upper in town and a shooting estate in Angus/Perthshire/A'deenshire.

To the Old Money clique you have to add the legal types - partners in long-established law firms or QCs or judges ranging from PFs to the Court of Session wigs.

Then add in those making a huge living in E'burgh's financial services industry - many of whom are the scion of the Old Money brigade and/or who went to school with each other.

There is just nowhere in England which has a village for the privileged classes in the way that Edinburgh does.

13 hours ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

I recall simpler times when a snob was someone who got out of the bath to go to the toilet.

13 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Or took the dishes out of the sink before having a pish.

You only do either if you're having a shite...

Snobbery is all I've got. I look down on people for, literally, thousands of reasons. Generally for not thinking and doing what I think they should.

Clothes, music, lifestyle...everything. Everybody is wrong and I'm right and anyone who disagrees is an idiot, unworthy of my attention.

Eta, I think everyone really has a similar outlook.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

In my experience inverted snobbery is more rampant in Scotland.
The number of tedious c***s who love to brag that "mummy and daddy" didn't help them go to university is unreal. As if families supporting each other is something to sneer at.
"Didn't" help and "couldn't" help are different things though. You reckon these tedious c***s are more the former?
Can't say I've ever experienced bragging of the latter.

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Snobbery is all I've got. I look down on people for, literally, thousands of reasons. Generally for not thinking and doing what I think they should.

Clothes, music, lifestyle...everything. Everybody is wrong and I'm right and anyone who disagrees is an idiot, unworthy of my attention.

Eta, I think everyone really has a similar outlook.

I don’t. 

That’s the outlook of a pleb.

Folk with money who adopt the eating habits of subsitence farmers as some sort of badge of honour.

Cooking porridge with water and salt might be traditional but if you gave a 19th century crofter a bag of silver spoon he would be all over it.

Same with people boring you that tikka massage and chips isn't authentic. So f**k. You think an Indian villager wouldn't take a tandoori mixed grill over a bowl of lentils given the choice?

3 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Same with people boring you that tikka massage and chips isn't authentic. So f**k. You think an Indian villager wouldn't take a tandoori mixed grill over a bowl of lentils given the choice?

Think I’d prefer a Thai massage.

Folk with money who adopt the eating habits of subsitence farmers as some sort of badge of honour.
Cooking porridge with water and salt might be traditional but if you gave a 19th century crofter a bag of silver spoon he would be all over it.
Tikka massage? Sounds kinky.

Pre pandemic I got a sunflower lanyard for my daughter because she's half blind but moves about seemingly without issue, they were a good idea that nobody knew about so didn't really work. 5 minutes into mask wearing word got round that you could get a free lanyard from Tesco and it meant you didn't have to wear a mask in shops. 

Now my snobbery kicks in because all the folk kicking about with the lanyards are the three remaining teeth and a walking stick for the social brigade cutting about in the same clothes for a fortnight and I firmly believe the majority are at it, abusing a lovely idea. 

Just know that my snobbery is bitter. 

On a lighter note, when I met my wife she lived in a two bed mouldy flat, we have moved a couple of times and now own a 3 bed bungalow in a nice bit of town and see if anyone dares walk past the hoose or park outside she's up like a meerkat twitching those curtains like a good one. 

10 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I've always argued that any food snob who drones on about authentic Indian or Thai food should be forced to squat over an authentic Indian or Thai toilet afterwards.

Shared_Toilet-Squatty_Potty-Hampi-India-