The Snobbery Thread

ICTChris

In my experience inverted snobbery is more rampant in Scotland.

The number of tedious c***s who love to brag that "mummy and daddy" didn't help them go to university is unreal. As if families supporting each other is something to sneer at.

8 hours ago, gannonball said:

It’s absolutely rife on here tbh. 

Also 90 odd % of new builds are utter utter garbage with ridiculously inflated prices compared to better built older houses in the very near vicinity.

In the Edinburgh area there really aren’t a plethora of older houses to chose from hence why there is such a load of work going on just now. 

Loads of the hate towards new builds seems to be people saying why don’t you buy an older place and do it up? It’s not really an option for most people who don’t have the time for a project like that and are just looking for a place to live.

4 hours ago, Satoshi said:

The studies on the subject have shown that paying for experiences will make you much happier over the longer term than the temporary boost you get from that new Ikea table (are there fancier furnitue shops? I couldn't even name one...).

Yet you are the opposite end of the snobbery spectrum. A redundant comment after IKEA solely for our benefit and possibly just to show how above all that grubby common materialism you truly are. 

How do you know if someone doesn't have a TV? They tell you within 5 mins of meeting them*

(*admittedly having a TV now is a little less of a dramatic statement given the number of people who stream through laptop etc)

16 minutes ago, throbber said:

In the Edinburgh area there really aren’t a plethora of older houses to chose from hence why there is such a load of work going on just now. 

Loads of the hate towards new builds seems to be people saying why don’t you buy an older place and do it up? It’s not really an option for most people who don’t have the time for a project like that and are just looking for a place to live.

Yeah with the housing shortages and the Help to Buy scheme favouring new-builds (which has aided the artificial pricing) I understand why people go for them out of ease rather than choice too. There is defo more of an air of ‘keeping up with the Joneses’ amongst these estates though.

Talking about social housing yesterday, there needs to be a serious change of attitude towards building them. 

Theres a huge new housing estate being built in Bishopton, 4000 new houses being built. Less than 200 of them social housing.

Housing benefit hasn't risen in the 7 years I've now claimed it, yet the shortage of housing is putting rent through the roof. I make up the £285 a month shortfall but others won't be able too. I'm paying probably what it would cost to pay off a £200k mortgage on a house that was bought for £77k.

I think we're one the.few European countries with such a hard on for ownership, Germany I think it is, nearly everyone rents.

Mind you Persimmons owners are doing very well out of help to buy money, which a bit of filters its way back to the politicians through donations.

As far as neighbours go, its really just pure luck whether you get arseholes or not. We all know that arseholes live in 350k houses just as much as council houses.

Re the Link housing at Kinnaird I know a lassie who lived in them with her kids, really nice lassie. She got hounded out by an arsehole neighbour and now lives in what would traditionally be thought of as a shitey area but is much happier.

I think this thread may have gone down the road of arsehole, rather than snobby behaviour though. I mean theres absolutely nothing snobby about leasing a car.

Leasing a car then acting all Big Jock about it though.....

There is another option, and the one i always go for, which is to buy outright with a low interest rate unsecured loan. 

I own the car right away and can do as I please with it. Can’t understand why anyone would do otherwise, but different strokes for different folks I guess.
This is what I do. I get a much lower rate from my bank than any PCP rate and still own the car.

1 hour ago, Bairnardo said:

I think this thread may have gone down the road of arsehole, rather than snobby behaviour though. I mean theres absolutely nothing snobby about leasing a car.

Was the snobby behaviour not from those who bought a car and treat leasing as an inferior or 'daft' option?

This has been quite an eye-opening thread so far. Nothing demonstrates the tragic nature of UK middle class values quite like viewing ownership of one of the few massively depreciating assets out there as worthwhile 'because ah still own it tho'.

It makes the house price obsession look borderline sane by comparison. 

12 hours ago, Gaz said:

We're just along from you in The Inches. We'd heard about the snobbery before we moved but we needed somewhere close to where the kids went to school (not Kinnaird but another local school with autism provision).

We've made some adaptations to our house / garden for the benefit of the kids and had comments directly about how we've ruined the street and are nothing but scum.

You cannot be serious?

Adaptations for autistic youngsters = scum?

You cannot be serious?
Adaptations for autistic youngsters = scum?
The new build estate near us had a residents association petition to the council complaining about householders building these play fort/castle kits in their gardens. Basically it was "lowering the tone" despite them all being perfectly legal planning wise and there not being a single iota they can do.

Another cracker was the same estate had a planning condition that there were to be shops and a beefeater type pub development built by consortium of the builders. About 2 years after the last house was built the planning applications were lodged and by god it sent the residents into meltdown. It's still never been built and the row rumbles on to this day. Didn't help that the local press took their side describing the shop development as a "parade" (it was 2 shop units and 1 with a takeaway food license) and the pub as a "budget hotel complex"

Talking about social housing yesterday, there needs to be a serious change of attitude towards building them. 
Theres a huge new housing estate being built in Bishopton, 4000 new houses being built. Less than 200 of them social housing.
Housing benefit hasn't risen in the 7 years I've now claimed it, yet the shortage of housing is putting rent through the roof. I make up the £285 a month shortfall but others won't be able too. I'm paying probably what it would cost to pay off a £200k mortgage on a house that was bought for £77k.
I think we're one the.few European countries with such a hard on for ownership, Germany I think it is, nearly everyone rents.
Mind you Persimmons owners are doing very well out of help to buy money, which a bit of filters its way back to the politicians through donations.

I think if I didn't have kids I wouldn't have bothered with a mortgage. It's just a guarantee to leave something behind for them* as I plan on 'living' when I'm older and spending what money I have. They can split the house and that's their lot.

Having said that. The private rental market is ridiculous just now. We're paying £100 more for a 4 bed decent sized gardens than my sister in law rents for a 2 bed small garden. I wouldn't say it's snobbery but I do feel sorry for people renting privately who are paying so much.

Social housing is a different issue of course.

* Unless it's taken off me for my care home treatment in which case I've wasted my time!

Was the snobby behaviour not from those who bought a car and treat leasing as an inferior or 'daft' option?
This has been quite an eye-opening thread so far. Nothing demonstrates the tragic nature of UK middle class values quite like viewing ownership of one of the few massively depreciating assets out there as worthwhile 'because ah still own it tho'.
It makes the house price obsession look borderline sane by comparison. 

That's not what I read.

Those that posted it said they did because it was cheaper getting a loan and owning outright than a PCP deal.

A loan from my bank is about a third of the interest than PCP deals - the fact that I own the car once the loan is paid is a bonus not the main reason for choosing that option.

2 hours ago, gannonball said:

Yeah with the housing shortages and the Help to Buy scheme favouring new-builds (which has aided the artificial pricing) I understand why people go for them out of ease rather than choice too. There is defo more of an air of ‘keeping up with the Joneses’ amongst these estates though.

Don’t get me wrong housing is a massive scam and that’s even before the bankers take their cut with the mortgages. I just feel that sneering at the people buying new builds is a bit harsh as it’s the best available option for so many people.

I think if I didn't have kids I wouldn't have bothered with a mortgage. It's just a guarantee to leave something behind for them* as I plan on 'living' when I'm older and spending what money I have. They can split the house and that's their lot.

Having said that. The private rental market is ridiculous just now. We're paying £100 more for a 4 bed decent sized gardens than my sister in law rents for a 2 bed small garden. I wouldn't say it's snobbery but I do feel sorry for people renting privately who are paying so much.

Social housing is a different issue of course.

* Unless it's taken off me for my care home treatment in which case I've wasted my time!
It's just ludicrous in a lot of places where mortgage payments are a significantly lower than rents.

The big issue for many though is they can't get a mortgage in the first place or the mortgage they are offered is not big enough for the house they want - hence we've seen the growth in 35 year mortgages - that really is mental.

2 hours ago, Bairnardo said:

Acting all Big Jock about your car is quite liable to qualify as arsehole behaviour regardless of which methods of finance you used 

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

2 hours ago, RH33 said:

Thought that too, but we're in the bottom half now, probably because our house prices are inflated. Germany is low but still about 50/50.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/246355/home-ownership-rate-in-europe/

11 hours ago, mizfit said:

I went to a primary school which was quite evenly split between rich and poor children.

I got bullied by someone because my dad was a joiner and my mum worked in a nursing home. I still don’t understand why I’d getting bullied for that.

My Primary School was in a relatively rough area so having 2 parents and both of them working would put someone in the elite group!

11 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Thought that too, but we're in the bottom half now, probably because our house prices are inflated. Germany is low but still about 50/50.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/246355/home-ownership-rate-in-europe/

Saw an interesting thing on the TV a while back about housing in Vienna.  There's no stigma there between owning/renting and the whole system for renting social housing seems quite equitable and affordable.

This article sums it up.

https://www.newstatesman.com/spotlight/2019/09/housing-basic-human-right-vienna-model-social-housing

31 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's just a guarantee to leave something behind for them

Surely, all being well, they will be on their own 2 feet by the time you snuff it and there's not much point leaving it for your grandkids as their life will be dominated by the world burning up.

My advice would be sell and keep enough to in rent to see you through your final years and spend the rest of the cash doing what you want.