The Snobbery Thread

ICTChris

23 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

A few years ago I visited Berlin for the first time. On the EasyJet flight over there were a party of Scottish guys heading there on a stag do. The groom was dressed as the Freddie Starr version of Hitler, with the wellies etc. On a flight to Berlin, these kunts thought that was funny, and a good idea.

I couldn’t wait to get off the plane and get as far away from them as possible. I don’t like being around ignorant, obnoxious, drunk, objectionable kunts.

If that makes me a snob, so be it. 

Not sure why you think this might be snobbish? Unless you've assumed that they're all riff-raff from the schemes and that's why they're twats, in which case it's very snobbish. But disliking twattery isn't directly a form of snobbery. 

A few years ago I visited Berlin for the first time. On the EasyJet flight over there were a party of Scottish guys heading there on a stag do. The groom was dressed as the Freddie Starr version of Hitler, with the wellies etc. On a flight to Berlin, these kunts thought that was funny, and a good idea.
I couldn’t wait to get off the plane and get as far away from them as possible. I don’t like being around ignorant, obnoxious, drunk, objectionable kunts.
Had a similar experience on a flight to Tenerife - a pair of twins celebrating their birthday. They thought they were hysterically funny by repeatedly pressing for cabin staff to get them drinks then singing loudly.

The last laugh though was at the other end when we landed and they attempted to remove the hat from one of the gun-toting local polis - went down like a lead balloon and they were last seen being marched away in cuffs.

[emoji1787][emoji1787][emoji1787]

45 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I’ve played golf since age 13, and am now 60. I’ve therefore been in and around golf clubs for a long, long time. Don’t think I’ve ever encountered snobbery in that world.

And, ahem, moving right along. 😛

The silly dress and shoes rules are deliberately designed to keep the oiks out, so you'd be unlikely to encounter it.

45 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I haven't seen any seethe on this, it just depends on what you're after. If you want a brand new car every 3 years, lease, if you just want something to get from A to B, buy a 3 year old car with low mileage and run it till it's just about ready for scrap and trade it in for another.

Buying a new car then trading it in every 3/4 years for another new car amounts to the same thing assuming you'll be getting a PCP like most people.  You still pay for it every month and never actually own anything because it's always owned by the finance company.   Never bothered to actually work out if leasing or getting a PCP is cheaper but don't finance guys always say if it depreciates then lease it, if it appreciates then buy it?

1 hour ago, TheScarf said:

How is leasing a car any different from sticking a deposit down and then paying it up for the next 4 years?  You're still paying £200 plus a month for a brand new car.

I know the end result is different, again, either way you do it you still have to pay it for years.  I agree with the above, the seethe leasing a car on here creates is weird. Am I correct in saying - Leasing a car for £300 a month for 3 years = bad,  Paying £1000 of a deposit then paying £250 a month for 3 years = good?

If you're talking about new cars if you did elect to pay the full value over 3/4 years when buying you'd be paying out more than a lease I guess.  this is why most new cars are bought on PCP and you have a balloon payment at the end of the agreement if you want to keep it.

28 minutes ago, Ross. said:

My point above covers it for me. I just think there’s a huge amount of waste in always paying for something you will never own. Each to their own I guess.

I lease mine as I can get a brand new car cheaper than I could if I bought it outright.  I also have a package where any costs associated with servicing, maintenance, breakdown etc are covered.  I never have to pay any cash on my car other than my monthly fee.  When I took it out we were in a reduced income period so it was good not to have the possibility of any big bills coming my way.

I think there have been previous threads where people have had semi-heads gone moments (half heads gone?  Necks gone?  Chins gone?) about car leasing.  On a broader societal basis, I think that some of the markers of wealth used to be stuff like cars - when I was at school in the 80s and 90s to be blunt about it the poorer kids parents had older, second hand cars often with a bit of wear and tear and the rich kids parents drove BMWs.  Now the BMW is available to the poorer kids parents meaning that having one isn't really a marker of wealth anymore.  

39 minutes ago, Ross. said:

I don’t understand why anyone would do it, but I think that’s more personal choice than snobbery. I bought a second hand Polo for about 10 grand a couple of years ago. When I drive into work I sit it between my bosses car and another colleagues car. One is a huge BMW of some kind, the other an Audi. My boss was paying 1500 a month to lease his car, I assume the other one won’t be far off that if not more. They pay as much on a 6 monthly basis as I paid outright. Even taking into consideration the extra costs I will accrue in servicing it and the like, I just think it’s absolutely fucking mental and a monumental waste of money.

I get why people who spend a lot of time in their cars want it to be a comfortable place to be, much like a house. I have the same attitude as you though, but when I got a free upgrade to an Audi when I hired a car recently it was great fun playing with the gadgets. Boot open, boot close, boot open, boot close, boot open, boot close. 

Yep, I'm not talking about the ins and outs of the deals themselves - mileage, age of the car etc, I mean literally paying for it.  You're paying £250+ a month on HP, PCP or leasing.  You're still driving a new car at the end of the day.  Quite why leasing gets a bad rep on here is strange.

I guess it's because unlike HP and PCP you'll never own the car?  People can clearly afford to lease otherwise they'd be told to fuck off by the dealership surely? It's hardly paying for something you can't afford is it?

17 minutes ago, Left Back said:

Buying a new car then trading it in every 3/4 years for another new car amounts to the same thing assuming you'll be getting a PCP like most people.  You still pay for it every month and never actually own anything because it's always owned by the finance company.   Never bothered to actually work out if leasing or getting a PCP is cheaper but don't finance guys always say if it depreciates then lease it, if it appreciates then buy it?

Don't really understand the differential benefits or otherwise to PCP, leasing etc, but I think most cars drop in value by about half in three years, so if you're not that fussed about driving a new car it makes sense to me to buy then.

1 hour ago, WhiteRoseKillie said:

Only if you can't think of a way to use that income rather than buying bigger/better/newer/dearer versions of stuff you already have, simply because you can, rather than because you need to. When I had a bit more disposable income, once the Rosettes started flying the nest, I spent a bit on reviving my old hobby of plastic modelling, which eats up a fair old bit of cash* with very little social kudos, but it keeps me happy - and makes me no better or worse than the next man.

*More than Mrs WRK believes, but that's a different story..

1/ Now that I'm retired I've revived my old hobby of programme collecting with what little money I've left over from my pension. (Unfortunately I sold my original collection in 1996, so I've had to start from scratch.)

2/ You can't spend that much on it surely? You're not talking £100s of pounds a month :o?

19 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Yep, I'm not talking about the ins and outs of the deals themselves - mileage, age of the car etc, I mean literally paying for it.  You're paying £250+ a month on HP, PCP or leasing.  You're still driving a new car at the end of the day.  Quite why leasing gets a bad rep on here is strange.

I guess it's because unlike HP and PCP you'll never own the car?  People can clearly afford to lease otherwise they'd be told to f**k off by the dealership surely? It's hardly paying for something you can't afford is it?

There is another option, and the one i always go for, which is to buy outright with a low interest rate unsecured loan. 

I own the car right away and can do as I please with it. Can’t understand why anyone would do otherwise, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

4 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

There is another option, and the one i always go for, which is to buy outright with a low interest rate unsecured loan. 

I own the car right away and can do as I please with it. Can’t understand why anyone would do otherwise, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

That's the option I go for usually.  My bank do great interest rates and I'd rather get a loan from them and get the car outright.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

I’ve played golf since age 13, and am now 60. I’ve therefore been in and around golf clubs for a long, long time. Don’t think I’ve ever encountered snobbery in that world.

And, ahem, moving right along. 😛

Pozbaird in his prime

Edited by greendot

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Tbf private schooled rugby lads are by some distance the worst offenders when it comes to this type of fuckery. 

Edited by Fratelli

22 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

That's the option I go for usually.  My bank do great interest rates and I'd rather get a loan from them and get the car outright.

Most people wouldn't be able to afford a new car that way, hence the popularity of PCP deals where a large chunk of the borrowing isn't due until the end of the agreement.  You're only paying for a percentage of the car during the agreement lifetime.

The dealers want you to take PCP as most people can't afford the final balloon payment and therefore take out another PCP deal every few years.  It effectively locks in a recurring revenue stream for them.

The last time I bought a second hand car I did exactly what you did as I could get better terms from my bank.

2 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Was this guy in the group?

9751992-3x4-700x933.thumb.jpg.9b3100c664cebb9ac1622b7781e7b26e.jpg

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

Not sure why you think this might be snobbish? Unless you've assumed that they're all riff-raff from the schemes and that's why they're twats, in which case it's very snobbish. But disliking twattery isn't directly a form of snobbery. 

Whew. I can confirm I merely dislike twattery then, and am not, deliberately anyway, a snob. Maybe they were like me, born in Paisley and raised in Johnstone. I can report I had no real interest in their place of birth or residence. I just wished they weren’t on the same plane as me.