General SWPL discussion - season 21/22

Thereisalight..

I know womens football isnt the most popular to watch (or have posts about!) but I've really enjoyed the season so far. Theres a highlights show on a Monday night of the SWPL action and it seems a league of 3 tiers. Glasgow City,  Rangers and Celtic are hammering teams, then theres the likes of Spartans and Hibs who've been good sides in recent seasons, followed by absolute dross like Partick, Hamilton, Motherwell, Aberdeen, Hearts who are getting humped by the top sides ever time they play them. 

A big game next weekend- Glasgow City v Rangers. Just wondered if anyone else has been following the league this season and who your title faves are?

Edited by Thereisalight..

8 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I know womens football isnt the most popular to watch (or have posts about!) but I've really enjoyed the season so far. Theres a highlights show on a Monday night of the SWPL action and it seems a league of 3 tiers. Glasgow City,  Rangers and Celtic are hammering teams, then theres the likes of Spartans and Hibs who've been good sides in recent seasons, followed by absolute dross like Partick, Hamilton, Motherwell, Aberdeen, Hearts who are getting humped by the top sides ever time they play them. 

A big game next weekend- Glasgow City v Rangers. Just wondered if anyone else has been following the league this season and who your title faves are?

You've not been watching that closely. One of those "absolute dross" sides beats Hibs yesterday and currently sit in 6th position. You'll enjoy the highlights of that one at 7 tonight. 

54 minutes ago, John MacLean said:

You've not been watching that closely. One of those "absolute dross" sides beats Hibs yesterday and currently sit in 6th position. You'll enjoy the highlights of that one at 7 tonight. 

Good on them. I said the "dross" teams get hammered every time they play the top sides which is true seeing as Partick were humped 6-0 and 7-1 by the Old Firm sides in the last 8 days alone. Tbh any of the semi decent/crap sides can beat one another on their day as yesterday showed. The top 3 are miles ahead of the rest and the results they have against the lesser sides are embarrassing (yes I know the top 3 have pro set ups and a ton more money than the rest)  

25 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Good on them. I said the "dross" teams get hammered every time they play the top sides which is true seeing as Partick were humped 6-0 and 7-1 by the Old Firm sides in the last 8 days alone. Tbh any of the semi decent/crap sides can beat one another on their day as yesterday showed. The top 3 are miles ahead of the rest and the results they have against the lesser sides are embarrassing (yes I know the top 3 have pro set ups and a ton more money than the rest)  

There is a massive disparity between the 'big three' in the women's game in Scotland and the rest. Much, much bigger than what exists in the men's game. 

It's full time professional athletes competing against girls who are essentially playing the game for the love of it. 

Thistle played Glasgow City (running them close), Celtic and Rangers inside the space of a week. An incredibly demanding schedule of fixtures. The fitness and quality of Celtic and Rangers really showed in the closing stages of those games. It's disappointing to lose any game of football, doubly so when you lose heavily but embarrassed by our players' efforts? Never. And don't forget that Thistle were catapulted into the top flight at the last minute when already well down the road of preparing for another SWPL2 season. 

It's good to know that you are enjoying the SWPL1 this season but to characterise those sides that are likely to finish in the bottom half of the league as "absolute dross" is really unfair. Unfair on the girls themselves who show a remarkable level of dedication and unfair on the clubs themselves that work so hard on trying to raise standards on and off the pitch season on season. 

The Thistle women's team has been in existence for just 7 and a bit years. The progress in that time has been startling. Before yesterday we had only once played Hibs, a Scottish Cup tie 2018 that Hibs won 7-0. 

1 hour ago, John MacLean said:

There is a massive disparity between the 'big three' in the women's game in Scotland and the rest. Much, much bigger than what exists in the men's game. 

It's full time professional athletes competing against girls who are essentially playing the game for the love of it. 

Thistle played Glasgow City (running them close), Celtic and Rangers inside the space of a week. An incredibly demanding schedule of fixtures. The fitness and quality of Celtic and Rangers really showed in the closing stages of those games. It's disappointing to lose any game of football, doubly so when you lose heavily but embarrassed by our players' efforts? Never. And don't forget that Thistle were catapulted into the top flight at the last minute when already well down the road of preparing for another SWPL2 season. 

It's good to know that you are enjoying the SWPL1 this season but to characterise those sides that are likely to finish in the bottom half of the league as "absolute dross" is really unfair. Unfair on the girls themselves who show a remarkable level of dedication and unfair on the clubs themselves that work so hard on trying to raise standards on and off the pitch season on season. 

The Thistle women's team has been in existence for just 7 and a bit years. The progress in that time has been startling. Before yesterday we had only once played Hibs, a Scottish Cup tie 2018 that Hibs won 7-0. 

I have great admiration for the girls who are working other jobs then going to training basically for the love of the game. I respect them and wish them nothing but the best. I’m aware of Thistles plight and the fact they weren’t prepared to be playing at this level and only got the call because of Forfar Farmington folding. I watched the game v Rangers the other night and they had a few stand out players, the young girl McDonald (?) had a good showing, the girl that scored took her goal well, but some of the defending was beyond embarrassing even if it had been at school level (the pen incident being one of them). I took a gander at the Aberdeen game from yesterday and again there is no excuses for that kind of defending or the fact they stood off Rangers so much. Rangers themselves got humped in preseason v Chelsea which was understandable, and Man Utd. Which just shows that even the top 3 in Scotland are a long way off of being good teams (Celtic out of the champions league as well as City being beat by Servette). Again no disrespect was meant to the girls 

On 11/10/2021 at 01:27, Thereisalight.. said:

I've watched a few of our games and am currently watching this on Alba.

Very even game so far - apart from an Alfie-like miss by Jane Ross - and 10x better than the hour of Dundee vs A'deen that I watched last night!

24 minutes ago, ScotsFootieFan said:

Was a good game to watch. That's two draws for City verus the Old Firm clubs. It's these games that are going to decide the title. All very even at the moment.

Yeah - a decent 90 mins.  We outskilled the Glasgow City lassies and they were a bit more steeetwise than us.  You'd still make them title favourites as they have a bit more nous than the rest.

Note to @Thereisalight.. Why not edit the title and make it a general SWPL thread?

6 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I've watched a few of our games and am currently watching this on Alba.

Very even game so far - apart from an Alfie-like miss by Jane Ross - and 10x better than the hour of Dundee vs A'deen that I watched last night!

3 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Yeah - a decent 90 mins.  We outskilled the Glasgow City lassies and they were a bit more steeetwise than us.  You'd still make them title favourites as they have a bit more nous than the rest.

Note to @Thereisalight.. Why not edit the title and make it a general SWPL thread?

I thought a draw was a fair result, perhaps rangers just edged it, but two very evenly matched teams especially defensively. First half was a bit scrappy, 2nd half there was a bit more quality. 

Had celtic not drawn today that would be all 3 teams on the same points. As a side note , twice this season Celtic have got a winner/equaliser in stoppage time. Very reminiscent of their mens team! 

Yeah I can edit the title and make it a general thread for all discussion related to the league. Good suggestion 

• Thereisalight.. changed the title to General SWPL discussion - season 21/22
11 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Yeah I can edit the title and make it a general thread for all discussion related to the league. Good suggestion 

Good man.

I've a full-fat Rangers TV subscription and they stream the home games so I usually watch them.  Big step up from last season all round.

Here's the league table:

swpltable.thumb.jpeg.e3796d5b9617cd85a19b7bf1e319c501.jpeg

44 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Good man.

I've a full-fat Rangers TV subscription and they stream the home games so I usually watch them.  Big step up from last season all round.

Here's the league table:

swpltable.thumb.jpeg.e3796d5b9617cd85a19b7bf1e319c501.jpeg

Think the happier team from the draw between Glasgow City and rangers will be celtic! Ive watched a few of the rangers womens games this season and they have been impressive. Last week v Aberdeen was an utterly dominant performance. Full of pass and move type play, that's why today suprised me with big hoofs up the field that went straight to City players. Perplexing they changed style when it's worked so well for them so far 

Can the rangers womens games be purchased separately? Wouldnt mind paying a few quid to watch the games as I'm a big fan of the SNWT and theres about 8 players playing for rangers so I'd like to see how they're getting on

16 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Think the happier team from the draw between Glasgow City and rangers will be celtic! Ive watched a few of the rangers womens games this season and they have been impressive. Last week v Aberdeen was an utterly dominant performance. Full of pass and move type play, that's why today suprised me with big hoofs up the field that went straight to City players. Perplexing they changed style when it's worked so well for them so far 

We've had it pretty easy - apart from the Hibs game - and I don't think the lassies expected GC  to be so sharp about their work.  Plus, for some reason, Zoe Ness - who is a good ball-winner - was left on the bench.  So a combination of poor selection and bit of naivety?  That's what I mean when I said GC were more streetwise.

21 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Can the rangers womens games be purchased separately? Wouldnt mind paying a few quid to watch the games as I'm a big fan of the SNWT and theres about 8 players playing for rangers so I'd like to see how they're getting on

I am pretty sure they were advertising women's games at £3.49 - but don't hold me to that.  Our next game is the SWPL Cup vs Celtic in a fortnight  so I'll let you know.

23 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

We've had it pretty easy - apart from the Hibs game - and I don't think the lassies expected GC  to be so sharp about their work.  Plus, for some reason, Zoe Ness - who is a good ball-winner - was left on the bench.  So a combination of poor selection and bit of naivety?  That's what I mean when I said GC were more streetwise.

I am pretty sure they were advertising women's games at £3.49 - but don't hold me to that.  Our next game is the SWPL Cup vs Celtic in a fortnight  so I'll let you know.

It's like they learned  nothing from the games with city and celtic last season. Yes I know one game was 0-5, but they treated City like they were Barcelona. Yeah I was suprised Ness didnt get on. Any news on when Howatt and Kerr will be back? Saw them in the stands when the TV panned to them. Definitely could do with those two back. 

Cheers. Where is the final being played? Might go along to it 

3 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It's like they learned  nothing from the games with city and celtic last season. Yes I know one game was 0-5, but they treated City like they were Barcelona. Yeah I was suprised Ness didnt get on. Any news on when Howatt and Kerr will be back? Saw them in the stands when the TV panned to them. Definitely could do with those two back. 

Cheers. Where is the final being played? Might go along to it 

Ah no - it's the 1/4 final and I assume Auchenhowie.  Should have made that clearer.  There's no venue, ticketing or PPV info up on RTV.

On 18/10/2021 at 01:05, The_Kincardine said:

Ah no - it's the 1/4 final and I assume Auchenhowie.  Should have made that clearer.  There's no venue, ticketing or PPV info up on RTV.

I've been trying to find info on that one as well as I'm thinking of going there but I also couldn't find any information on tickets etc. Would it normally be pay on the day, even against Celtic?

10 minutes ago, Marten said:

I've been trying to find info on that one as well as I'm thinking of going there but I also couldn't find any information on tickets etc. Would it normally be pay on the day, even against Celtic?

Normally for Auchenhowie it's entry by e-ticket with no PATG option.  So you can 'pay on the day' as long as the transaction is downloaded to your phone.  

IF it is at the training centre then I suspect all tickets will be sold already.  However, I have the 'Rangers Burdz' et al on my Twitter feed so will update you when I know better.

9 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Normally for Auchenhowie it's entry by e-ticket with no PATG option.  So you can 'pay on the day' as long as the transaction is downloaded to your phone.  

IF it is at the training centre then I suspect all tickets will be sold already.  However, I have the 'Rangers Burdz' et al on my Twitter feed so will update you when I know better.

Thanks! 👍