General SWPL discussion - season 21/22

Thereisalight..

• 4 weeks later...

Great entertainment at Alliance Park today. 

Although I was disappointed that Thistle didn't get all three points both teams showcased a lot of what is good about the women's game in Scotland. Cara McBrearty's opener is worth watching the highlights for alone. 

SWPL1 isn't just about the big three. It's games like today that the BBC should be showing live. Especially now as it is becoming increasingly difficult to see anyone other than Rangers winning the league. There is going to be one hell of a scrap at the bottom though with no shortage of quality on show. 

Rangers Women 2-1 Hibernian Women. 

Probably the biggest game in Scotland today and it didn't disappoint. Hibs deservedly led at the break but Rangers were much improved after half time and probably did enough to earn the three points even if the penalty from which the equalised was extremely soft (a true Chris Gentles special).

20220123_161049.jpg

Thistle 0. Celtic 7

Sore one for Thistle this afternoon. 

We actually spent more time in the opposition half in the first 15 minutes or so than we tend to do in these games. 

The heads dropped though with a couple of quick Celtic goals and with some self inflicted wounds a real capitulation looked on the cards at half time. 

A wee regroup and change in shape at half time and what we saw second half was much more like the Thistle we know. I thought the girls showed a lot of bravery not to simply capitulate and actually compete. 

On an otherwise disappointing day they were some positives. 

Morgan Anderson made her debut. She is the first come player to come through our development pathway from Drumchapel United. She did really well on her debut against top quality players. We'll be seeing more of her. 

We also had our biggest attendance. Obviously Celtic contributed to that but to me it looked as if they were more Thistle fans there too. 

We continue to grow as a Club. We'll put today behind us and move on. 

Edited by John MacLean

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Rangers Women 3-1 Glasgow City

A dominant display from Rangers despite having goalkeeper Jenna Fife sent off after 68 minutes. The win takes them two points clear with a game in hand.

20220206_141457.jpg

Tut tut Jenna..!

Went to Spartans v Celtic. I'd seen Celtic before this season and they played good stuff but today they didn't seem to catch fire as I thought they would. Spartans made a couple of chances and if they'd converted one it might have made for a more interesting game.

Spartans' Ronaigh Douglas got a nasty injury so hopefully she'll not be out for long. A wholehearted player and a nice lass too.

Massive, massive win for Thistle at Hamilton today. 

Although the goal came late(ish) it was no less than what we deserved. We were better side almost from start to finish. 

Although we've had a few hefty defeats I've thoroughly enjoyed this season. It's an incredibly honest group of players we've got with a great work ethic. It's a pleasure to play a small part in it all. 

It's getting awfully congested from 5th downwards. We've Spartans at Petershill coming up in a week or so. Another massive game. 

5 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Youd say its Rangers title to lose now. Saying that theyve still to play City once in the league and Celtic twice (iirc) so anything can happen. Interesting game on Thur between City and Celtic

They're definitely in the driving seat, but a lot of football still to be played.

I'll be at both Rangers v Hamilton and Glasgow City v Celtic this midweek, will be good to see all of the top 3 in action. And just bought a ticket to the Women's Old Firm in the cup on Sunday. Looking forward to a good week of women's football. 

4 hours ago, Craig the Hunter said:

They're definitely in the driving seat, but a lot of football still to be played.

I'll be at both Rangers v Hamilton and Glasgow City v Celtic this midweek, will be good to see all of the top 3 in action. And just bought a ticket to the Women's Old Firm in the cup on Sunday. Looking forward to a good week of women's football. 

Cracking! Hope you enjoy. I was hoping to get along to one of the games but I'm at the Ayrshire derby midweek then work on Thur. If Sunday is an early ko I might be able to get along 

Edited to say, I see the City v Celtic game is on Alba on Thur! Also didnt realise the OF game was at Airdrie so I think I'll give it a bye, is it on TV?

Edited by Thereisalight..

8 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Cracking! Hope you enjoy. I was hoping to get along to one of the games but I'm at the Ayrshire derby midweek then work on Thur. If Sunday is an early ko I might be able to get along 

Edited to say, I see the City v Celtic game is on Alba on Thur! Also didnt realise the OF game was at Airdrie so I think I'll give it a bye, is it on TV?

I've not seen anything about it being on TV, but BBC Scotland sometimes pick up games last minute for streaming, so it's possible. 

Rangers Women 4-0 Hamilton Academical Women. 

Not a great game, Rangers didn't get out of second gear because they didn't have to. As comfortable as it comes. Most notable moment of the night was Kirsty Howat returning after a year out injured, and scoring on her return.

20220209_204438.jpg

19 hours ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Rangers Women 4-0 Hamilton Academical Women. 

Not a great game, Rangers didn't get out of second gear because they didn't have to. As comfortable as it comes. Most notable moment of the night was Kirsty Howat returning after a year out injured, and scoring on her return.

20220209_204438.jpg

Heard Hay was on great form last night. Really thought she'd have broken into the Scotland squad by now

Just catching up on these matches on RTV.  Looks like we performed well vs G City - and their beating of Celtic makes it a 2-horse race.

I hadn't know the backstory of Glasgow City but also watched a couple of interviews with Laura Montgomery.  She has done brilliantly - and is a great visionary.

• 2 weeks later...