General SWPL discussion - season 21/22

Thereisalight..

44 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:

Rangers 3-0 up on Celtic with a couple of minutes to go. League surely out of Celtic's reach now.

Had a ticket to go, but not feeling great today, so watching on Alba instead. Hopefully get to an SWPL game next Sunday.

I only saw the 2nd half but that was a very professional display by us and 3-0 was about right.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched Rangers Women today rather than the Dundee cup  game.  Slow start but 0-4 was a decent reflection of the game with Accies' keeper making some decent saves.

2-1 to Glasgow City vs Celtic just confirmed it's a 2 horse race.  

• 2 weeks later...

SWPL1 going up to twelve teams from.next season. Play each other twice then spilt and play each other twice again for 32 games. No relegation this year and two coming up from SWPL2.

SWPL2 will be 8 teams, playing each other four times. Championship North and South winners coming up with the runners up playing off to see who joins them.

Going forward bottom of SWPL1 will go down automatically with SWPL2 winners going up. Second bottom will play off against second top of SWPL2. Bottom of SWPL2 go down with the Championship winner coming up. Unclear if that's still going to be regionalised or if they're going all in.

• 4 weeks later...

Took my 7 year old daughter to the Rangers game yesterday. Her first time at Ibrox. A good occasion for her, which she enjoyed, and far less intimidating than going to one of the men's games.

It was great to see the Union Bears there too.

On 02/03/2022 at 22:24, Craig the Hunter said:

Glasgow City 10-1 Aberdeen Women.

Aberdeen took the lead early on and then proceeded to get absolutely pumped. A rough trip back up the road awaits them tonight.

20220302_194802.jpg

The keeper Aberdeen took in on loan is suspect at cross/high balls, Gilmour was the one to watch a couple of years back and Blanchard was decent aswell so don’t now what’s going on there.

I went along to the game today. A decent 0-0. Thought City were the better team 1st half but Rangers were the better team in the 2nd. As a neutral it's great to see the dominance of Glasgow City come to an end, makes for a far more entertaining league 

I'm informed by Google it's ten years since I stood in Hazlehead Park taking photos of a womens game, with one of the teams featuring an Amy Winhouse hair-a-like and a rottweiler in the dugout, the other with Finding Nemo socks and actual ability. 

AM-JKLUhx2iQ3w4HC0aXjqJr7u6blcq6hjjUySGP

The above challenge not even getting the assailant a talking to, IIRC.

Changed days. All seems very polished now, whereas back then the womens game was on a par with mens welfare/amateur. 

14 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I went along to the game today. A decent 0-0. Thought City were the better team 1st half but Rangers were the better team in the 2nd. As a neutral it's great to see the dominance of Glasgow City come to an end, makes for a far more entertaining league 

1st half Rangers played like a team scared to lose, and City as a team needing that win... I think not getting a 1st half goal took the edge off City, and to be honest Rangers played well second half, and deserved their point.

I have only been watching women's football for the past 3 or 4 years, but with Rangers and Celtic going pro, with more investment, I can't see City competing much past 3 or 4 more seasons. I think it will depend on how much the other SPFL teams invest in their squads in a growth area of the game. It may seem sad if city end up falling away, but I think it will just show the strength of the game.

20220508_181443.jpg

Edited by lau03143
Include photograph

47 minutes ago, lau03143 said:

1st half Rangers played like a team scared to lose, and City as a team needing that win... I think not getting a 1st half goal took the edge off City, and to be honest Rangers played well second half, and deserved their point.

I have only been watching women's football for the past 3 or 4 years, but with Rangers and Celtic going pro, with more investment, I can't see City competing much past 3 or 4 more seasons. I think it will depend on how much the other SPFL teams invest in their squads in a growth area of the game. It may seem sad if city end up falling away, but I think it will just show the strength of the game.

20220508_181443.jpg

Spot on with the assessment of the game. Think the introduction of Kayla McCoy at HT made a difference for Rangers. 

I think City will always be challengers. Theyve worked too hard for 15 years to let that slide. 

It would be good to see a more competitive league as right now its "the top 3" giving the other teams a hiding. Even Hibs have fell away and are a shadow of the team they were. Either way I look forward to the new season already and wish Rangers and City all the best for Europe. Hope they both go far