The Conor Pepper Derby - ICTFC ~vs~ Morton

32 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

You most definitely have.

I'm terribly sorry, let us forget about the ball striking the post and the last ditch block to prevent a certain goal in the first half.

In the second half, the Morton forward placed his attempt wide when many thought that he had scored.

Yes let us forget about these facts and agree that ICT didn't have to deign to dip their clutch to employ a higher gear.

Glad we can agree.

3 minutes ago, sophia said:

I'm terribly sorry, let us forget about the ball striking the post and the last ditch block to prevent a certain goal in the first half.

In the second half, the Morton forward placed his attempt wide when many thought that he had scored.

Yes let us forget about these facts and agree that ICT didn't have to deign to dip their clutch to employ a higher gear.

Glad we can agree.

You said we could’ve been 2 down before we scored. What chances were these?

4 hours ago, TheScarf said:

We were never in any danger of losing or even drawing after we took the lead.  Was I watching the same game?

I can't believe some of the takes I'm reading.  Caley Thistle were good without being great.  Morton were terrible.  Anyone who came away from that game thinking we were lucky to get the three points must've been taking a drug stronger than heroin! 

5 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

I can't believe some of the takes I'm reading.  Caley Thistle were good without being great.  Morton were terrible.  Anyone who came away from that game thinking we were lucky to get the three points must've been taking a drug stronger than heroin! 

You've got all day to do so, take longer if you like as you may need to but it would be ever so kind of you to direct the public to those that shared the view that Inverness "were lucky".

8 hours ago, sophia said:

Glad we can agree.

Yes, at 0-0 we did have a sliced attempt at a cross which hit the post, then a slack pass on the edge of your box gave us a chance where Reilly should have scored but Devine blocked it.

However, neither of those actually constituted Morton creating a chance through their own ability as opposed to completely mishitting a ball then getting a lucky break of one, and the fact is that we didn't take either of those chances while within two minutes of Reilly's chance ICT were ahead with an embarrassingly easy goal. Meaning ICT were able to remain in first gear and comfortably see the game out knowing Morton were toothless and entirely incapable of creating anything.

This was further proven by the second half when the Morton defence embarrassed themselves again for the second goal and the only chance came from a speculative long range effort that Ridgers should have done much better with, only for the sitter from the rebound to miss the target anyway. That's further proof of Morton being terrible and ICT being in absolutely no danger of failing to win the game, not evidence that this was actually a close game where the result was in any doubt.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Yes, at 0-0 we did have a sliced attempt at a cross which hit the post, then a slack pass on the edge of your box gave us a chance where Reilly should have scored but Devine blocked it.

However, neither of those actually constituted Morton creating a chance through their own ability as opposed to completely mishitting a ball then getting a lucky break of one, 

I've no idea what this mewling is supposed to achieve, considering the absolute nick of a goal that actually opened the scoring. It doesn't matter how and why a chance to score is presented to a team. Morton did have a couple of good chances to score at 0-0. As a point of fact, that is simply correct.

It is also a point of fact that we didn't take them, which was entirely predictable given the toothless nature of our forward line. Then we got rightly punished for our own sheer incompetence with the opening goal, that gave ICT a comfortable position to control the game from and deservedly win.

Those are not mutually exclusive statements. 

Edited by vikingTON

Fans agreeing or disagreeing on a game is as old as the game, that is football and it's all the better for it, 

It's my opinion that we are stuttering recently, two goals from a virtually Highland League team last week and our midfield unable to make headway this week is how I saw it, if other fans opinion differs then so be it.

I will not throw 'attaboys' at a game I considered poor.

Bear in mind that our first goal came from Ridgers reading and not from open play.

Edited by SandyCromarty

47 minutes ago, virginton said:

I've no idea what this mewling is supposed to achieve, considering the absolute nick of a goal that actually opened the scoring. It doesn't matter how and why a chance to score is presented to a team. Morton did have a couple of good chances to score at 0-0. As a point of fact, that is simply correct.

It is also a point of fact that we didn't take them, which was entirely predictable given the toothless nature of our forward line. Then we got rightly punished for our own sheer incompetence with the opening goal, that gave ICT a comfortable position to control the game from and deservedly win.

Those are not mutually exclusive statements. 

Nothing I've said contradicts that. The point being that our chances coming that way and our predictable failure to score them would mean that ICT were aware we were unlikely to break them down through our own efforts, and could therefore stay in first gear on their way to an entirely comfortable win. Which is what happened.

We missed 2 absolute sitters and gave away 2 very preventable goals in a game in which lacked creative attacking play from both teams. On another day...we would've probably done the same kind of thing. We're not good at scoring goals, and we're not very good at preventing them either. ICT took the chances presented to them very well. You can see why they're where they are in the league and why we're where we are.

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Nothing I've said contradicts that. The point being that our chances coming that way and our predictable failure to score them would mean that ICT were aware we were unlikely to break them down through our own efforts, and could therefore stay in first gear on their way to an entirely comfortable win. Which is what happened.

Well no, I really don't think Inverness were sitting in the dressing room at half time saying 'well it was only sliced crosses and slack passes that caused those chances, so let's get the cigars out lads'. It's completely irrelevant how those earlier chances were caused. They just went out and were duly gifted a second goal regardless.

22 minutes ago, virginton said:

Well no, I really don't think Inverness were sitting in the dressing room at half time saying 'well it was only sliced crosses and slack passes that caused those chances, so let's get the cigars out lads'. It's completely irrelevant how those earlier chances were caused. They just went out and were duly gifted a second goal regardless.

Nah. They saw a bench that contained Gus McPherson making the decisions and Robbie Muirhead wearing a pair of football boots and got the cigars out at kick off