The Conor Pepper Derby - ICTFC ~vs~ Morton

Another comfortable win without getting out of first gear. Not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing. We've only really sworded one team in the league and that was Partick Thistle when we wrecked them in the second half. Other than that we have been okay but sit proudly at the top of the league. Have we got more to give or are we not set up right to take advantage of the players at our disposal?

Did okay until the opening goal without ever being seriously threatening. After that inexplicable catastrofuck of a goal, the heads went down and it was very comfortable for ICT in the end. We actually got into more dangerous spaces in the final third than usual but still did nothing with it. Oliver contriving to miss the rebound from a spilled shot in the second half sums up our campaign so far. As does Jack Hamilton being our most consistent and effective performer. 

My favourite moment of 'Gus McPherson uselessness' for this week was him deciding that what the team needed when 2-0 down with half an hour to go was to put Robbie fucking Muirhead on the pitch. 

There was a lovely bit of skill from young MacGregor to make his way into the box on the touchline. A hand was full of shirt and but for that there might have been a special outcome.

Other than a couple of horrific defensive lapses, there was no joy Morton.

As the players took to the field for the second half, I was rather taken with a young gentleman evoking Alan Partridge's "Dan" sketch as he tried and failed to attract the attention of, I think, the Morton goalkeeper.

13 hours ago, PB1994 said:

Did we win this one comfortably without getting out of first gear?

Cant be sure.

I can confirm that we did win this one comfortably without getting out of first gear.

31 minutes ago, RiG said:

I can confirm that we did win this one comfortably without getting out of first gear.

I would disagree, to say we never got out of first gear translates for me that we were poor all over the park, I can think of only two spells where we controlled the ball and passing was spot on, for the most of the game we were well off the game.

The reason, Morton were no mugs they ran the midfield for a lot of the game and their wing breakaways we found hard to close down.

If the ball had went in for them in the first half instead of hitting the post I am sure we would have probably had a draw.

Absolutely no way this was a comfortable win. 

Edited by SandyCromarty

There's good cause on two counts as to why the first goal should have been disallowed.

With the ball moving and at least four Morton players inside the area, I feel glad that the way games are refereed to favour keeping the play flowing is something that has been well implemented.

I feel like we're a little similar to Ross County of the 18/19 season who weren't great at all but they kept bagging wins whilst other sides around them tended to draw / drop points a little more regularly. If it ends the same way then I'll be pretty happy :) 

2 hours ago, RiG said:

I feel like we're a little similar to Ross County of the 18/19 season who weren't great at all but they kept bagging wins whilst other sides around them tended to draw / drop points a little more regularly. If it ends the same way then I'll be pretty happy :) 

I'll agree with you on this on the game yesterday, we were obviously missing Carson and Tom Walsh but thank goodness we had Mackay and Gardyne who salvaged the game, otherwise.................................................................................................

Cue Highland Capital to hit me with another red, obviously he disagrees with my opinion but fails to respond literally preferring to take the immature route of a red.

4 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

I'll agree with you on this on the game yesterday, we were obviously missing Carson and Tom Walsh but thank goodness we had Mackay and Gardyne who salvaged the game, otherwise.................................................................................................

Cue Highland Capital to hit me with another red, obviously he disagrees with my opinion but fails to respond literally preferring to take the immature route of a red.

We need Carson back soon. Allardice was fine yesterday but it's a square peg in a round hole. Arguably the same could be said about Carson of course but he seems to offer more than Allardice did. Doesn't looked good for Duffy if two CMs are preferred to him at RB though he did look decent at CB against Elgin.

14 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

We were never in any danger of losing or even drawing after we took the lead.  Was I watching the same game?

This. They had that one long shot and the header from the rebound after we went ahead and I can’t remember them having anything else that you would call a chance for them to score.

I thought we played pretty poorly yesterday but once we took the lead we were never in any danger of giving it away.

12 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

This. They had that one long shot and the header from the rebound after we went ahead and I can’t remember them having anything else that you would call a chance for them to score.

I thought we played pretty poorly yesterday but once we took the lead we were never in any danger of giving it away.

No team looks in danger of giving their lead away against a Gus McPherson side. 

48 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

We were never in any danger of losing or even drawing after we took the lead.  Was I watching the same game?

On any level other than banter, it's academical that your first gear bravado doesn't bear any scrutiny.

Despite the early balance of play, we could have been chasing one or two goals.

In the second half Morton may well have scored from another Ridgers spill.

13 minutes ago, sophia said:

On any level other than banter, it's academical that your first gear bravado doesn't bear any scrutiny.

Despite the early balance of play, we could have been chasing one or two goals.

In the second half Morton may well have scored from another Ridgers spill.

You’ve completely made up chances for Morton.