Live TV coverage.

Another big game for us today.

For those unable to make the match, obviously again there was no live coverage apart from through subscription service.

1/2 an hour after the final whistle at Hampden, STV🤣 show 3 hours of live coverage of a meaningless game involving meaningless countries.... beamed live to every TV set in the nation...prime time in a Saturday evening.

Our state broadcaster, the BBC, that we all (ahem) pay our TV licence too, thereafter again  produce a shockingly amateurish highlight show shown hours after our game finishes and too late for many youngsters.

"STV" highlights are on even later. Our games highlights are mixed in with the all the "home" nation matches with pundit Johnny Collins thrown in to appease.

We hear English broadcasters talking about TV sporting crown jewels that must remain on TV free for all. There is a reason for that. They recognise the cultural importance of these events and the inspiration they provide to the aspiring young. 

Scotland international games are our crown jewels and they have been stolen. 

No other country would put up with this p@sh. How has the situation come about? Who is at fault? What can be done?

Edited by git-intae-thum

Fitba on telly costs money because it's a product.  If you don't have Sky, buy a ticket for the match, listen to the radio, go to the pub or just make do with the highlights.  It's hardly like Scotland games have a massive history of being shown live on free-to-view telly.  

Do you have any evidence for "no other country would put up with this"?  Does every other country show all their International fitba for free?  I lived in Norway for a bit and they did, but they have all the money in the world, so it's probably not the best sample.  

That being said I do agree that the ITV buying the England matches and us getting them on STV is slightly shit, but the option of not watching them is fairly simple.   

ETA also, implying that you don't pay your TV licence, while seemingly hoovering up  BBC's output, and ripping your knickers that they can't afford to pay for live fitba, seems a bit rich IYAM!  

Edited by resk

7 minutes ago, resk said:

Fitba on telly costs money because it's a product.  If you don't have Sky, buy a ticket for the match, listen to the radio, go to the pub or just make do with the highlights.  It's hardly like Scotland games have a massive history of being shown live on free-to-view telly.  

Do you have any evidence for "no other country would put up with this"?  Does every other country show all their International fitba for free?  I lived in Norway for a bit and they did, but they have all the money in the world, so it's probably not the best sample.  

That being said I do agree that the ITV buying the England matches and us getting them on STV is slightly shit, but the option of not watching them is fairly simple.   

ETA also, implying that you don't pay your TV licence, while seemingly hoovering up  BBC's output, and ripping your knickers that they can't afford to pay for live fitba, seems a bit rich IYAM!  

This is nonsense.

If you go back to the 80's and early 90's all our national games qualifiers and major championships, were frequently shown on terrestrial TV. Our national team gained far greater exposure to a wider audience. In consequence the national team was probably never more popular.

I would suggest that there are very few, if any, European nations in our position. Indeed potentially there may soon be none going on this article.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15483946.new-campaign-screen-scotlands-top-international-football-matches-free-tv/

If this is truly going to remain our national sport we need to protect it from shysters who just see it as a money spinner.

33 minutes ago, resk said:

It most have cost ITV (including STV) a fortune to outbid Sky, BT Sport etc to get the England games. 

It would no doubt have been a fraction of the cost for them to get the Scotland games. C@nts

3 minutes ago, git-intae-thum said:

This is nonsense.

If you go back to the 80's and early 90's all our national games qualifiers and major championships, were frequently shown on terrestrial TV. Our national team gained far greater exposure to a wider audience. In consequence the national team was probably never more popular.

I would suggest that there are very few, if any, European nations in our position. Indeed potentially there may soon be none going on this article.

https://www.heraldscotland.com/news/15483946.new-campaign-screen-scotlands-top-international-football-matches-free-tv/

If this is truly going to remain our national sport we need to protect it from shysters who just see it as a money spinner.

Thanks for the link to the article.  Are you inferring from it that all other countries get to see their international matches for free?  I don't read it like that.  France, Denmark and Germany are named as countries that show their International matches for free.  Add England and Norway, and that's five countries.  Getting there!  There are a lot more than five countries in the world though. 

"I could watch Scotland games for free in the 80s and early 90s!" does not establish a custom of international fitba being free to watch on the telly IMO, given that international fitba is 150 years old and "the 80s and early 90s" is fifteen years.

You want something for free that costs money.  Get over it.   

14 minutes ago, resk said:

Thanks for the link to the article.  Are you inferring from it that all other countries get to see their international matches for free?  I don't read it like that.  France, Denmark and Germany are named as countries that show their International matches for free.  Add England and Norway, and that's five countries.  Getting there!  There are a lot more than five countries in the world though. 

"I could watch Scotland games for free in the 80s and early 90s!" does not establish a custom of international fitba being free to watch on the telly IMO, given that international fitba is 150 years old and "the 80s and early 90s" is fifteen years.

You want something for free that costs money.  Get over it.   

Deary me......It's not a case of wanting something for nothing. What small minded drivel.

Broadcasters and football associations in the aforementioned nations have recognised the importance of retaining international football as a sport accessible to all.

If football is supposedly our national sport should we not aspire to the same?

Of our national broadcasters....one didn't bother bidding for TV rights..... the other actually contributed to the purchase of another nations .....and then has the audacity to broadcast them on our national TV sometimes even when our own games are being played. Let that sink in. 

How is that helping Scottish football?

Being part of a UK market doesn’t help Scottish football

We always play second fiddle to our neighbours

The BBC give English football a UK wide platform for its game, whereas Scottish football is only available via the opt out channels and radio

Look at the coverage for the Euros also, English dominated even on days they’re not playing 

Edit: Even the Scottish cup final doesn’t get a UK wide platform from the BBC, yet they’ll happily give that expose for some diddy English village team playing in a FA cup first round game 

Edited by Clown Job

Scotland games have been on BBC, ITV and Channel 5 in the past. It would be good to have them on Freeview again.

Currently I pay for the odd Scotland game on NowTV so it’s not like I’m missing much. When Scotland games went to Sky I got out of the habit of watching them. Now I just glory hunt the big games.

7 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Edit: Even the Scottish cup final doesn’t get a UK wide platform from the BBC, yet they’ll happily give that expose for some diddy English village team playing in a FA cup first round game 

they only give the diddy english village teams a turn because its all in the same FA Cup package, they recently had the chance to give some lower league outfit ''tv money'' but opted for an all premier league game, if anyone is having a go at why scotland isnt live on cooncil telly ask the SFA, its them who take the money for the broadcasts.

*and ''we'' don't get a uk wide platform because no c**t is interested in it other than the folk who live here, the biggest myth in scottish football is the english stop what they're doing to watch sevco play sellick, they don't give a rat's arse about it.

1st round TV fees for the English FA Cup is £67,000 per club.

BBC wanted to show the recent Irvine Meadow V Auchinleck Talbot 1st round Scottish Cup tie. They were offering £1,500 per club. The teams told them to get stuffed.

Even accounting for the fact that England is about 11 times biggar than Scotland Scottish licence fee payers are subsidising English TV coverage and are being absolutely short changed themselves

Edited by Wile E Coyote

2 hours ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

I would suggest you should be thankful if you don't get Scotland game's on your tellybox. It would likely be Ian Crocker commentating on it. Five minutes of that c**t and you'd be pining for the fucking Chase again.

Ian Crocker works for Sky Sports. If a game was on free-to-air TV he wouldn't be commentating on it.

1 hour ago, Meldrew said:

they only give the diddy english village teams a turn because its all in the same FA Cup package, they recently had the chance to give some lower league outfit ''tv money'' but opted for an all premier league game, if anyone is having a go at why scotland isnt live on cooncil telly ask the SFA, its them who take the money for the broadcasts.

*and ''we'' don't get a uk wide platform because no c**t is interested in it other than the folk who live here, the biggest myth in scottish football is the english stop what they're doing to watch sevco play sellick, they don't give a rat's arse about it.

I don’t genuinely care if people in England want to watch Scottish football, that’s not the point 

The fact the BBC give English football a platform to advertise its games across the UK, whereas it doesn’t do the same for anyone else.

Our own game gets treated as a sideshow in Scotland by all the broadcasters. 

Edited by Clown Job

10 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I don’t genuinely care if people in England went to watch Scottish football, that’s not the point 

The fact the BBC give English football a platform to advertise its games across the UK, whereas it doesn’t do the same for anyone else.

Our own game gets treated as a sideshow in Scotland by all the broadcasters. 

isnt that what BBC Scotland is for ? 

And STV probably don't have the money

Edited by Meldrew

Always thought that when the 'big' games arrive, then all parties should do their best to stick them on terrestrial tv - this is where the £ comes into it, as Wily E.Coyote said when offering a pittance for a half decent Scottish cup game. I saw the 2nd half and then later on Sportscene, too late for me usually. Sky - we hate it, we love it. Money talks sadly.

Boyd and McCoist have been great additions to Sky's Scotland team this season. The former is insufferable when Rangers are involved but I just find him really funny when he does Scotland games - it's clear that he's putting on an over the top performance and having a laugh. If only they could bin Crocker.

50 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

isnt that what BBC Scotland is for ? 

And STV probably don't have the money

BBC Scotland is just a branch office of the BBC

We don’t have our own public service broadcaster in Scotland, we have a UK one and they decided English sports should take priority over our own.

I’m not really sure what your argument is here to be honest,

My point is that is being part of a UK market is a real disadvantage for Scottish fans both in cost and number of games shown

The reason a Sky Sports subscription is so expensive isn’t because they’re putting they cash into promoting the Scottish game or on production values. 

We are at best the sideshow, used as a filler before the main event in England

STV shouldn’t be in a position that a platform such as Sky can outbid it for the rights to Scotland games. 

The BBC, you pay the same license fee, and they decide that English sport should be a priority with UK wide coverage and promotion.

40 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

BBC Scotland is just a branch office of the BBC

We don’t have our own public service broadcaster in Scotland, we have a UK one and they decided English sports should take priority over our own.

I’m not really sure what your argument is here to be honest,

My point is that is being part of a UK market is a real disadvantage for Scottish fans both in cost and number of games shown

The reason a Sky Sports subscription is so expensive isn’t because they’re putting they cash into promoting the Scottish game or on production values. 

We are at best the sideshow, used as a filler before the main event in England

STV shouldn’t be in a position that a platform such as Sky can outbid it for the rights to Scotland games. 

The BBC, you pay the same license fee, and they decide that English sport should be a priority with UK wide coverage and promotion.

i really don't have an argument, i'm happy with the way things are. but i'm curious to know why you think STV could or should be in a position to out bid Sky.

5 minutes ago, Meldrew said:

i really don't have an argument, i'm happy with the way things are. but i'm curious to know why you think STV could or should be in a position to out bid Sky.

ITV manage it with England games. How do they outbid Sky?