Hamilton Accies vs Thistle Friday night football - 15th October 2021

Another Friday night game for Thistle. We need to shake off the poor performance in the Challenge Cup and try get some momentum in the league. 
Both sides with a good result in the league last week, so should make for an interesting match.

Definitely an interesting game. Thistle sitting on 4 wins and 4 losses having lost to all the teams currently above them and beaten all the teams except us below them, can't really get much more middle of the road.

I got carried away last time after Taylor came in and won a league match and then and Challenge Cup match, thinking we had turned a corner only to come crashing back to earth with two really poor results.

I think it'll be a really close game, which is what I'm used to against Thistle with a lot of last minute winners/equalisers in previous fixtures. But I just have a feeling our lack of quality and experience will shine through sadly.

Friday night, live on tv and away from home so it has all the ingredients for a Thistle horror show, but I’m looking forward to it.

Hamilton is an underrated away day. Couple of decent pubs nearby, easy to get to and we usually bring a decent support. 

Here we go, 28* in a row...
*league games without a win on TV if we don't win vs Hamilton.
(yes, we've beat St Mirren and Connah's Quay in the cups since then)
image.png.1246faf1e0c9d374caac65b96e45e373.png
Well if a club is looking to end a sequence of results Accies are usually the team to play...

The first one you can understand as it was a post split game with both teams fighting to stay up.

The other two were presumably quota fillers as we only had celtic at home once that season and no rangers in the league at that point, and St Mirren made some kind of sense due to the geographical proximity though neither side regards it as a derby. 

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:

I decided to have a look to see when we last won a live televised game. April 2018 against Ross County - 14 without a win.

Throw in the stat that 6 of the last 8 meetings at NDP have been a draw and we don't even need to bother playing this one imo 

On 11/10/2021 at 19:35, Fuctifano said:

Throw in the stat that 6 of the last 8 meetings at NDP have been a draw and we don't even need to bother playing this one imo 

A draw isn't terrible, agree this now and spend all night in the pub instead. 

I actually really enjoy Hamilton away, barring the result most of the time. Glad to have this fixture back. 

Ah, memories.

The good:

Beating hamilton after lambie passed away

Doolan's 4 goals

The bad:

Templeton scoring in the last minute to beat us, think it was after losing to two late late goals against Dundee the week before to put us right in the shit, that double header was what arguably what killed us in the top flight that season

The hideous:

Conrad Balatoni falling on his arse from a long punt for Jason Scotlands winner, that was late too iirc

Edited by Thistle_do_nicely

1 hour ago, RRFC2711 said:

Didn’t we also pump you in a televised game in the diddy cup semi final?

You beat us 2-1, but the list above is only counting league games. We’ve won other televised non-league matches in that timeframe.

5 hours ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Ah, memories.

The good:

Beating hamilton after lambie passed away

Doolan's 4 goals

The bad:

Templeton scoring in the last minute to beat us, think it was after losing to two late late goals against Dundee the week before to put us right in the shit, that double header was what arguably what killed us in the top flight that season

The hideous:

Conrad Balatoni falling on his arse from a long punt for Jason Scotlands winner, that was late too iirc

I think I’ve seen pretty much every type of game at New Douglas Park.

A couple of late winners - Juan Ramon in 2004 in front of a massive jags support. Our first game at the stadium I’m sure. Graham Gibson scored a winner right at the end during the grim Dick Campbell era.

3-3 game in the Premiership was mental. 2-0 down, getting absolutely battered, went 3-2 up and a screamer got Hamilton a point. 

0-0 game in our relegation season was the maybe the worst game of football I’ve ever seen and the 2-1 loss later in the season totally killed us in the end. 

Another NDP memory was a 0-0 when Hamilton won the league under Billy Reid. They battered us for 90 mins but Johnny Tuffey single-handedly kept them out in one of the best goalkeeping performances I’ve ever seen.

13 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

3-3 game in the Premiership was mental. 2-0 down, getting absolutely battered, went 3-2 up and a screamer got Hamilton a point. 

Walked out of the ground feeling like a loss that one. Absolute misery to jubilation and then misery again. 

I wonder if Taylor will drop Virtanen deeper with Hughes in his spot or do a straight Hughes for Mimnaugh swap. I'd guess the former but he does like more of a ball-player there (although Hughes hasn't been like that in a while).