The Burns battle - Ayr v Queens

Just watched the highlights there. I actually think Ruben's improved a lot since he joined with respect to footwork and ball handling, and the miss wasn't as bad as made out - it comes to him very quickly at an awkward height and he's already set his stride. Definitely room for more improvement with finishing though. The penalty looks bad but I can understand why Debayo's slid in there - the highlights show he checks his shoulder half a second before and at that time the Ayr player is unmarked running centrally into the box. Debayo's rushed over to close the space and when the ball is played short it's there to be taken.  

1 hour ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

The penalty looks bad but I can understand why Debayo's slid in there - the highlights show he checks his shoulder half a second before and at that time the Ayr player is unmarked running centrally into the box. Debayo's rushed over to close the space and when the ball is played short it's there to be taken.  

I can't understand how he could think of putting in a challenge and win the ball fairly coming in from that angle and at that pace without giving away a penalty. It was an absolutely idiotic challenge although I can appreciate players may not think rationally in the heat of a game. 

2 hours ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I can't understand how he could think of putting in a challenge and win the ball fairly coming in from that angle and at that pace without giving away a penalty. It was an absolutely idiotic challenge although I can appreciate players may not think rationally in the heat of a game. 

It's an awkward one for a defender because (a) the Ayr no. 9 plays the ball shorter and further inside than intended (it appears to come off his ankle rather than in-step), (b) the other Ayr player checks his run, (c) this allows Gibson to get back and cover, and (d) the Ayr player then shapes to shoot before taking a touch. That's a lot to factor in a split second when you're also sprinting to get across, so I can't really fault Debayo for the error. Just one of them things in my opinion. 

Edited by Priti priti priti Patel

18 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

It's an awkward one for a defender because (a) the Ayr no. 9 plays the ball shorter and further inside than intended (it appears to come off his ankle rather than in-step), (b) the other Ayr player checks his run, (c) this allows Gibson to get back and cover, and (d) the Ayr player then shapes to shoot before taking a touch. That's a lot to factor in a split second when you're also sprinting to get across, so I can't really fault Debayo for the error. Just one of them things in my opinion. 

Whilst there's merit in all of these points, it's still an awful challenge and, as I noted earlier, he goes with the wrong leg too so he's effectively going in with his back to the opponent and is probably why he doesn't 'spot' the ball as well at point of contact and effectively misses it entirely.

It is never a good idea to make a sliding challenge in the box unless somebody is about to score. But to do it at pace like that is inexcusable. I’m not even a fan of sliding challenges anywhere on the pitch as they are very difficult to get right and they usually result in either a foul or the defender taking themselves out of the game. Should only be reserved for desperate situations, imo.
There is no way of dressing that tackle up to make it anything other than ridiculous. The only way I can think it of to make it more ridiculous would be if he had taken the penalty himself and rattled it into the top corner.

16 minutes ago, Flash said:

Should only be reserved for desperate situations, imo.

I am just saying my reading of it is that, until a split second before when the attacker checked his run and the no. 9 fluffed the pass, it was a desperate situation, as you had an attacker running unmarked into the box slightly left of centre of goal. I have a suspicion Debayo was actually expecting to have to block a shot rather than tackle. The position of the ball, attacker and covering defender have all then changed in an instant as he's sprinting across and Debayo has failed to properly react, which imo is unfortunate but understandable. 

1 hour ago, UpInTheAyr said:

Is he not a local lad with an Ayr supporting Dad? Vaguely remember something about that when he signed.

Def enjoyed his goal Saturday anyway.

Yeah, his dad is a big Ayr fan, no idea if James is though. He was with out academy before his family moved to the Falkirk area. 

10 minutes ago, Priti priti priti Patel said:

I am just saying my reading of it is that, until a split second before when the attacker checked his run and the no. 9 fluffed the pass, it was a desperate situation, as you had an attacker running unmarked into the box slightly left of centre of goal. I have a suspicion Debayo was actually expecting to have to block a shot rather than tackle. The position of the ball, attacker and covering defender have all then changed in an instant as he's sprinting across and Debayo has failed to properly react, which imo is unfortunate but understandable. 

I can maybe understand him running over to cover but he could have dealt with the situation by staying on his feet. I don’t think a player should ever make a sliding challenge in the box when running like that in anything other than a situation like if somebody is round the keeper and about to score. You should never dive in at pace in the box in routine situations like that one.
Probably not something we’ll agree on, though.

4 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Add James Maxwell to the list of Ayr loans that I’m absolutely in love with that will break my heart when they leave at the end of the season.

This is actually a longer list than I thought it was. 2 of them are goalies as well. 🤣