The Burns battle - Ayr v Queens

22 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I remember him doing it once, not the second time! Hopefully as the season progresses he will primarily be a squad player. 

I’m not a fan of him, Bradley has done more in a third of the games that Salkeld had managed. He’s not a bad player but hasn’t shown in 3-4 seasons he’s any more than a below average championship player. 

In fairness to Salkeld I think it was a mistake from Duffy to have him on the left and Maxwell on the right as it suited neither in the 1st half today. No surprise we improved once Maxwell went over to the left.

Although Salkeld getting the ball on the edge of the box and running away from goal today probably sums him up quite well as a player.  

52 minutes ago, Greenacres said:

This is what happens when you have young defenders had a crazy tackle against Morton today was even worse no excuse for it time to leave him.out the team next week

Gie's peace. He's 25 tomorrow, not some daft teenager and he's our oldest centre back. It was an absolute brainfart of a stupid challenge from a player who had been our best defender on the day to that point.

Who are you leaving him out for? All the other defenders are younger and the only other centre back if you stick to a back three is Chima if he is fit (although East could also play there but is also younger). 

4 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Can I just ask, what is the point of Salkeld?

He had one game where he was great playing on the right wing and scored a goal against Dunfermline. However, what position was he even playing today? He just seems to float about and is often where the ball isn't! His first touch is awful, as evidenced when Wullie Gibson just passed him the ball on the edge of Queens box and Salkelds control was so poor he hit it backwards or sideways.

He's our best player. 

Not interested in other opinions, he makes the whole thing work. 

Spoiler

Yes, I am serious. 

9 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Is that what you were shouting at Wullie that got him so upset? I know I’d be fuming.

I stand by this 100% 

Eventually I'll sober up, but until then Salkeld is king. 

11 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

That challenge by Debayo was genuinely the most ridiculous challenge I’ve seen a defender make since Scott McKenna went through the back of a Dunfermline player in his own box and gave away a penalty. I’d be absolutely livid if we gave away something like that, in fact with McGinty in our team I’m surprised we haven’t yet.

That team that finished the game today with the exception of Moffat should be the team that starts at Arbroath. We were offering nothing until Chalmers came on and we moved Maxwell out onto the left. Chalmers brought a bit of calm into our play and allowed Reading to get a bit further forward. Bradley also made a difference and he massively brings the best out of Adeloye. The big guy was pretty frustrated until he came on but was like a whole new player afterwards.

I don’t think QOS were brilliant. I think we were incredibly pedestrian and allowed them to run all over the top of us. McAdams made a couple of good saves but it wasn’t as if they missed a whole load of good opportunities to score. Once we made our changes and got into the game there was only going to be one winner.

Agree re the challenge, I don’t think I’ve ever seen such a rash challenge for so little danger to our goal. 

We weren’t brilliant by any stretch but thought we were comfortably on top til the penalty. Cameron hit the bar and then McAdams made a very good save from a Willie Gibson shot straight after that was heading right in to the top corner. Ruben somehow blasted over from about 4/5 yards with nobody near him 🤦🏼‍♂️, and then we finally managed to get to goal. If we had been 2/3-0 up I don’t think there could have been any complaints. 

Disappointing to leave with nothing after the pattern of the first 70 minutes but that’s football.

If we can just leave Max  Johnston on the bench next week and stick Gibson back to rwb that would be a start. Next week already looks a must not lose game so we will no doubt be set up 5-4-1. 

Don't know why the manager is  trying to shoehorn the young Johnston boy into the side (he ain't that good) any other 17 year old would be getting limited mins... 🤦‍♂️ WG was player of year last season get him. Back to RWB allowing another player into midfield. 

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

50 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Don't know why the manager is  trying to shoehorn the young Johnston boy into the side (he ain't that good) any other 17 year old would be getting limited mins... 🤦‍♂️ WG was player of year last season get him. Back to RWB allowing another player into midfield. 

He just isn’t very good, not to say he won’t develop into a good player but I don’t think he is ready for this level of football every week. He does some good things but  he hasn’t done enough to warrant the amount of appearances he has had. Poor judgement from the board and manager taking him on loan as this was bound to happen with favouritism. 

Edited by Broony88

13 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Aye, I'm getting fed up of Salkeld tbqh.

I'd like to play a midfield four but our centre midfield is soft as shite, so do we actually need 3 players in there? I'd love to go 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 as you suggest. I expect we may end up with 4-5-1/4-3-3 which is how we finished the game today. With Maxwell and Bradley out wide or up top with Tomi and a midfield 3 of Murdoch, Muirhead & Chalmers?

I think you are possibly right - we do need to balance wanting to get Maxwell, Bradley and O’Connor on the pitch with making sure we aren’t over run in central midfield. Maxwell could potentially play as the most advanced central midfielder, and allow O’Connor and Bradley to play either side of Tomi in a three. It’ll be good to have some options once Daire is back. 

13 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Gie's peace. He's 25 tomorrow, not some daft teenager and he's our oldest centre back. It was an absolute brainfart of a stupid challenge from a player who had been our best defender on the day to that point.

Who are you leaving him out for? All the other defenders are younger and the only other centre back if you stick to a back three is Chima if he is fit (although East could also play there but is also younger). 

He might be almost 25 but has played under 50 games in his career so far.

Got lucky at Morton with a stupid tackle and again last week against Thistle made 2 poor mistakes lucky not to get sent off !

Really could have cost us the games at Morton and Thistle last week .

Said so yourself he cost us the points at Ayr that can't go on any longer. 

1 hour ago, Greenacres said:

He might be almost 25 but has played under 50 games in his career so far.

Got lucky at Morton with a stupid tackle and again last week against Thistle made 2 poor mistakes lucky not to get sent off !

Really could have cost us the games at Morton and Thistle last week .

Said so yourself he cost us the points at Ayr that can't go on any longer. 

You said it was because he was too young (which is nonsense). You have completely ignored the question of who you want brought in for him? Is it the teenage Udoka Chima, who has single figure career appearances? Or Euan East who has played 3 or 4 career games at the back? Both of whom are younger.

Did you even see the Ayr game? Debayo had a horrible rash challenge. It cost us the game. He was also our best defender on the day that apart. He had a poor game against Thistle but got away with it. Such is life with defenders and keepers. If we dumped them every time they made a horrible error Jim Thomson would never have got into double figures for games. Wullie Gibson is possibly our best player but he twice yesterday gave away possession with passes straight to Ayr players in danger areas. Do you want him dropped too? 

The vast majority of our players have under 50 appearances in their career by the way.

One assumes that when FT teams work during the week on defensive shape, set pieces, blocking etc etc you would think that penalty box defending should also feature high on the agenda. I have absolutely no idea what possesses a central defender at this level of football to commit that type of ridiculous challenge when there was no tangible goal threat. Debayo’s actions were tantamount to gift wrapping Ayr with a goal and neutralise all the hard work that Queens had put into the match that far.

That rash error of judgement was so severe and so costly AJ should seek some re-assurance from the player that he has actually learned his lesson.In my experience on field “hotheads” seldom eradicate that from their game and continue to be a liability. Any player committing that sort of lunge in the penalty box highlights a complete and utter lack of game awareness. On a scale of 1-10 that error ranks at least 11. I can only surmise what his fellow players thought of his actions.

15 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Watched the highlights there, Cameron going in to elbow McCallister after the full time whistle is fucking delicious.  Get it right up that sad tadger. 

McAllister getting it right up him is glorious. Not sure what clip is my favourite, that or Aero cupping his ears to the away support.