The Burns battle - Ayr v Queens

Can I just ask, what is the point of Salkeld?

He had one game where he was great playing on the right wing and scored a goal against Dunfermline. However, what position was he even playing today? He just seems to float about and is often where the ball isn't! His first touch is awful, as evidenced when Wullie Gibson just passed him the ball on the edge of Queens box and Salkelds control was so poor he hit it backwards or sideways.

1 minute ago, 19QOS19 said:

The more you write the more it looks like you're defending their actions. Wishing someone would die is fair game because it's just fans trying to "get into a players head". But joking about domestic abuse isn't on? I assume if those were reversed you'd be condemning the Ayr guys for joking about domestic abuse and you'd be defending Gibson as him wishing the Ayr fans would die aren't real threats?

You keep going on about Gibson's behaviour as if I or anyone else on here is defending his appalling behaviour. I don't think any QoS fans have defended him.

The more you go about me going on about Gibson going on about Ayr fans going on about queens fans going on about Ayr fans makes me think that you are tying yourself in knots here. 

I don’t defend Ayr fans or see what they sang as acceptable. 
I also don’t think that Gibson was entirely genuine on his social media outpouring and is a bitter angry wee man. I don’t back the Ayr fans and I think Gibson is a w**k

19 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

That challenge by Debayo was genuinely the most ridiculous challenge I’ve seen a defender make since Scott McKenna went through the back of a Dunfermline player in his own box and gave away a penalty. I’d be absolutely livid if we gave away something like that.

This. I tried to say that in my previous post. I just cannot understand why he did it or how he possibly thought he could do it legally or needed to. It wasnt a last ditch challenge on a player likely to score. It was a completely unnecessary chop down of a player who looked unsure what to do with the ball.

I hear the stuff about Ayr getting better with the subs (undeniably they did) but fundamentally apart from hitting the bar with a header at a set piece they hadnt looked remotely like scoring until Debayo effectively gave them one. It was an inexplicable foul and for me cost us 3 points. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Can I just ask, what is the point of Salkeld?

He had one game where he was great playing on the right wing and scored a goal against Dunfermline. However, what position was he even playing today? He just seems to float about and is often where the ball isn't! His first touch is awful, as evidenced when Wullie Gibson just passed him the ball on the edge of Queens box and Salkelds control was so poor he hit it backwards or sideways.

He runs about, but somehow manages to be shite both defensively and offensively. His positioning defensively is dreadful, and os often seen trailing behind his opponent. 

A midfield four of O’Connor, Muirhead, Murdoch and Maxwell with Bradley in behind Adeloye will hopefully provide decent viewing. 

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Yeah that is an issue. I think Chalmers actually went in for a slide tackle today which is the first I’ve seen from him since he joined. Murdoch is the same in that he occasionally looks back to his best but was quite poor today I thought. I still like him in the team and I think he can be quite effective playing on the right but still quite narrow.

The absolute priority is a midfielder though but it’s unlikely we’ll get one in before January. A centre back and another striker wouldn’t go amiss either.

True, Chalmers did actually tackle someone. I was suitably stunned.

Murdoch wasn't great today but has been much better than last season. I really don't think he's far away from hitting that level consistently. He has to if we are to make it to January clear of the relegation spots.

We need to do a fair bit of business in January. I expect we'll have to move some on as well. I still wonder if sending Miller out on loan was the right call. He's not the answer either though!

This. I tried to say that in my previous post. I just cannot understand why he did it or how he possibly thought he could do it legally or needed to. It wasnt a last ditch challenge on a player likely to score. It was a completely unnecessary chop down of a player who looked unsure what to do with the ball.
I hear the stuff about Ayr getting better with the subs (undeniably they did) but fundamentally apart from hitting the bar with a header at a set piece they hadnt looked remotely like scoring until Debayo effectively gave them one. It was an inexplicable foul and for me cost us 3 points. 

Murdoch missed a sitter in the first half and we managed to get into the Queens box a few times but didn’t quite get a chance away.

I didn’t think there was a whole lot created by QOS either though. It was a pretty scrappy game from our POV until Chalmers came on as until that point we seemed quite happy to let Gibson and Cochrane dictate proceedings.

The more you go about me going on about Gibson going on about Ayr fans going on about queens fans going on about Ayr fans makes me think that you are tying yourself in knots here. 

I don’t defend Ayr fans or see what they sang as acceptable. 
I also don’t think that Gibson was entirely genuine on his social media outpouring and is a bitter angry wee man. I don’t back the Ayr fans and I think Gibson is a w**k

If you had led with the second paragraph when you first replied to me we wouldn't have needed the last 5 or so posts.

5 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'd like to see Ayr's "goal" that was disallowed for offside again. It was admittedly hard to tell from where I was, but it didn't seem offside.

I can see that QoS fans would be disappointed not to come away with a point, based on the fact that Ayr were never in it for 70 minutes.

I think we learned today that Salkeld is another dud who can go on the Hopkin scrapheap along with McGinty.

3 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

He runs about, but somehow manages to be shite both defensively and offensively. His positioning defensively is dreadful, and os often seen trailing behind his opponent. 

A midfield four of O’Connor, Muirhead, Murdoch and Maxwell with Bradley in behind Adeloye will hopefully provide decent viewing. 

Aye, I'm getting fed up of Salkeld tbqh.

I'd like to play a midfield four but our centre midfield is soft as shite, so do we actually need 3 players in there? I'd love to go 4-4-2/4-4-1-1 as you suggest. I expect we may end up with 4-5-1/4-3-3 which is how we finished the game today. With Maxwell and Bradley out wide or up top with Tomi and a midfield 3 of Murdoch, Muirhead & Chalmers?

24 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This is what happens when you have young defenders had a crazy tackle against Morton today was even worse no excuse for it time to leave him.out the team next week

Edited by Greenacres

Salkeld should be an athlete as he’s not a footballer. He can run all day but has the first touch of a trampoline, can’t tackle and if he ever does get the ball under control inevitably dithers on it and loses possession.

Edited by munro7

13 minutes ago, rgreig said:

I'd like to see Ayr's "goal" that was disallowed for offside again. It was admittedly hard to tell from where I was, but it didn't seem offside.

I've stuck the disallowed goal in the highlights but (as usual) it doesn't show anything definitive - it does look close. Perhaps the QOS highlights will have a better view as they are from the hospitality/NT side.

29 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Fair enough and thanks for the clarification.

I just had a memory (not saying it was you) of similar stuff being stated as "fact" and then retracted after a previous visit to Ayr.

For clarity I'm not defending Gibson here. He really should know not to get involved and from what I've heard his actions today easily cross the line of being unacceptable.

I feel I'm either too drunk or the situation in text form is just generally unhelpful.  

Where is the steaming da who said he'd rip my throat that's what I want to know. 

17 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Salkeld has plenty of energy, can take the ball for a walk and stretch a defence, creating more space in the forward areas for other players. He tracks back and helps out in midfield.

he has zero output in terms of final balls or shots on goal though. 

I think this is generous tbh, bar the Dunfermline game we have rarely seen him dribbling with the ball and getting us up the park. 

5 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I think this is generous tbh, bar the Dunfermline game we have rarely seen him dribbling with the ball and getting us up the park. 

He did it today a couple of times in the first half. There is very little output to what he does so it goes unnoticed or can be frustrating. I can see what he adds to The team in theory but not always in practice which explains why Morton fans were glad to get rid of him. 

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

He did it today a couple of times in the first half. There is very little output to what he does so it goes unnoticed or can be frustrating. I can see what he adds to The team in theory but not always in practice which explains why Morton fans were glad to get rid of him. 

I remember him doing it once, not the second time! Hopefully as the season progresses he will primarily be a squad player.