The Burns battle - Ayr v Queens

31 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

On a happier note, it was really nice to see Adeloye engage with all our young supporters and spend a good 15 minutes chatting with them and giving the selfies etc.

He really does seem like a genuine and top bloke as well as being a good footballer.

He would have probably been better doing this the whole match because he didn't do much on the park while he was on.

Thought today showed how far we've came to stop the rot. Last season we would have folded like a deckchair in the same position. 

Defensively we had some holy shit moments today but overall it was great to see us keep battling on and trying to score more. The flaws in this squad are obvious, but you can't deny some of the players have heart and will run through walls. 

We are still desperately needing a second striker as Tomi can't do it all himself. The less said about Afolabi the better, I have zero idea what he contributes other than having a defender tracking him to create space for others. Would like to see Bradley and O'Connor on the pitch at the same time at some point as well. 

Today was probably a good yard stick for the rest of our season. Very much expect QotS, Morton and Ayr to be fighting over similar positions come the end of the season. On today's showing I'm confident of solid dramaless mid table finish.

I don’t believe Gibson thinks Ayr fans hope that he dies in his sleep, he knows it was to get at him, he lost and made a total fanny of himself and gret on social media 

Is that relevant though? There's banter at football and then there's crossing the line. It appears both Gibson and some Ayr fans have done the latter today. You can't defend one action and have a go at the other.

It's pathetic behaviour from all those involved tbh.

Just now, 19QOS19 said:

Is that relevant though? There's banter at football and then there's crossing the line. It appears both Gibson and some Ayr fans have done the latter today. You can't defend one action and have a go at the other.

It seems like a pathetic behaviour from all those involved tbh.

I’m not defending either, I’m also not taking a faux moral high ground after the fact. 

8 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

It's pathetic behaviour from all those involved tbh.

Both parties are imbiciles. Fans of any club saying things like that to any player is abhorrent. As is Gibson being a p***k to stewards just doing their job. Not to mention simulating having a w**k. I didnt see the latter but it sounds like it happened along with wishing domestic abuse on someone 

So back to the game rather than whatever this Gibson thing is about (I dont have Twitter).

Gutted we found a way to lose that. Thought we were comfortably the better side for 70 mins then largely were architects of our own downfall. Ruben missed a sitter and another good chance, Cameron hit the bar, before the strangely quiet Connelly hit his 6th in 7. 

But after finally making the breakthrough it all fell apart. I think Ayr struck the bar even before the equaliser did they (or was that before our goal?). Then Josh Debayo, who had a great game at the back up to then, had a complete aberration. I have absolutely no idea why he decided out of nothing to smash through the Ayr player in the box. Clear penalty on a player who wasnt about to shoot and wasnt even facing goal! Absolutely mental challenge. Muirhead may be a headcase but a penalty when he is on the pitch is pretty much as good as a goal. 

And we never found a foothold in the game again. Ayr were the better side for the last 15 mins and there was an inevitability about a winner arriving, needless to say from Maxwell. 

Connelly wasnt remotely as influential as he has been in the last month or so but if he didnt have a knock, taking him off just after he scored was a surprise. 

Really disappointing and just so needless. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I’m not defending either, I’m also not taking a faux moral high ground after the fact. 

I don't think you're defending them but I do think your point about Gibson not thinking they really want him to die reads as - 'They were only kidding around'.

Hard to believe we didnt take something from that game. First half was probably about as well as we've played in terms of passing and possession but what chances we did create werent taken. 

Ayr fans will point to Duffys subs as the turning point but for me it was Queens switch to a back four and Nditi moving into the midfield. Im struggling to think of a time doing this has worked. Debayo has his qualities but he doesnt look comfortable in a back 4 and he looks like a player who always has THAT mistake in him. If we dont take Nditi out of defence, Debayo isnt even at that side of the pitch to make any challenge.

Theres no doubt, though, that Ayrs subs strengthened them while Queens weakened the team, along with the formation switch. Connelly was talking to the physio on the sideline before he came off and went straight to him after, so presumably he had an injury.

We really need to work on our delivery into the box. We never really looked dangerous from any crosses, either from open play or set pieces, apart from Cameron hitting the bar from a nice move. If we can give him better service he'll score goals.

Theres been a marked improvement in defending balls into the box but we look really vulnerable if the ball is cleared and then played back in.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't think you're defending them but I do think your point about Gibson not thinking they really want him to die reads as - 'They were only kidding around'.

How many serious mortal threats are normally made to the tune of I wanna go home? 

Got to laugh at the Queens fans taking the moral high ground here and on Twitter. A female steward got spat in the face by one of the Queens young team. The police were passing me as I walked out the stadium and stewards had him pinned to a wall

I don't think there's any moral high ground being taken. Not on here at least. Folk have condemned both parties actions.
How many serious mortal threats are normally made to the tune of I wanna go home? 
Again, is that relevant? I don't understand why folk would even stoop to such weird levels. Just call him a w****r like any normal football fan would if he upset them so much.

2 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

I don't think there's any moral high ground being taken. Not on here at least. Folk have condemned both parties actions.
Again, is that relevant? I don't understand why folk would even stoop to such weird levels. Just call him a w****r like any normal football fan would if he upset them so much.

It’s relevant because calling them a w****r, a beast etc is an obvious attempt to get in a players head. 

Gibson is about 40 and still bites to it when most players would ignore it. 

to then take to social media and make some teary post about concern for children after a bizarre rant at the segregation fence, wanking and making jokes about domestic abuse after a mid table early season championship game in front of 1500 people is nothing short of tragic.

if that had been an Ayr player tonight, I’d be keeping awfully quiet. 

That challenge by Debayo was genuinely the most ridiculous challenge I’ve seen a defender make since Scott McKenna went through the back of a Dunfermline player in his own box and gave away a penalty. I’d be absolutely livid if we gave away something like that, in fact with McGinty in our team I’m surprised we haven’t yet.

That team that finished the game today with the exception of Moffat should be the team that starts at Arbroath. We were offering nothing until Chalmers came on and we moved Maxwell out onto the left. Chalmers brought a bit of calm into our play and allowed Reading to get a bit further forward. Bradley also made a difference and he massively brings the best out of Adeloye. The big guy was pretty frustrated until he came on but was like a whole new player afterwards.

I don’t think QOS were brilliant. I think we were incredibly pedestrian and allowed them to run all over the top of us. McAdams made a couple of good saves but it wasn’t as if they missed a whole load of good opportunities to score. Once we made our changes and got into the game there was only going to be one winner.

Gibson is such a radge you could yell WULLIE at him all game and he'd probably still lose the plot. Wild there are people who's first port of call is that sort of worst c**t stuff. It gets tiring how football grounds continue to be places where people get away with this sort of shit.

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

That challenge by Debayo was genuinely the most ridiculous challenge I’ve seen a defender make since Scott McKenna went through the back of a Dunfermline player in his own box and gave away a penalty. I’d be absolutely livid if we gave away something like that, in fact with McGinty in our team I’m surprised we haven’t yet.

That team that finished the game today with the exception of Moffat should be the team that starts at Arbroath. We were offering nothing until Chalmers came on and we moved Maxwell out onto the left. Chalmers brought a bit of calm into our play and allowed Reading to get a bit further forward. Bradley also made a difference and he massively brings the best out of Adeloye. The big guy was pretty frustrated until he came on but was like a whole new player afterwards.

I don’t think QOS were brilliant. I think we were incredibly pedestrian and allowed them to run all over the top of us. McAdams made a couple of good saves but it wasn’t as if they missed a whole load of good opportunities to score. Once we made our changes and got into the game there was only going to be one winner.

I agree with the bulk of this but relying on Chalmers to consistently put in a performance is a worry for me. He showed exactly the opposite last season. He plays good in spells as a cameo but is so inconsistent. We need a fucking central midfielder! In the interim I guess trying him out isn't a bad thing. Maybe? He doesn't have enough about him for me though and is too pedestrian at times.

The problem comes when O'Connor is back does that mean Maxwell is dropped?

Bradley is the key for me, he seems to be on the same wavelength as Tomi and needs to start alongside/just behind him from now on. 

Also McAdams should retain the No 1 jersey. He is such a good shot stopper.

It’s relevant because calling them a w****r, a beast etc is an obvious attempt to get in a players head. 
Gibson is about 40 and still bites to it when most players would ignore it. 

to then take to social media and make some teary post about concern for children after a bizarre rant at the segregation fence, wanking and making jokes about domestic abuse after a mid table early season championship game in front of 1500 people is nothing short of tragic.
if that had been an Ayr player tonight, I’d be keeping awfully quiet. 

The more you write the more it looks like you're defending their actions. Wishing someone would die is fair game because it's just fans trying to "get into a players head". But joking about domestic abuse isn't on? I assume if those were reversed you'd be condemning the Ayr guys for joking about domestic abuse and you'd be defending Gibson as him wishing the Ayr fans would die aren't real threats?

You keep going on about Gibson's behaviour as if I or anyone else on here is defending his appalling behaviour. I don't think any QoS fans have defended him.

27 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Connelly wasnt remotely as influential as he has been in the last month or so but if he didnt have a knock, taking him off just after he scored was a surprise.

He reminded me a bit of Aidan Nesbit, loads of energy and very direct. Good when you are on top in a game but incredibly frustrating when you aren’t. The amount of times he went for the spectacular and failed when the ordinary was the better option won Ayr the game. He certainly has the ability to spark panic in a defence, like Maxwell to a degree. If he was 50% better at making the right choice he could be a major asset higher up. 

2 hours ago, itzdrk said:

I understand what your are saying here, I'll lay out my position.  

Wullie reacted to nothing until full time on the terrace when he engaged with a bit of patter with me, I thought he was trying to say this was my part in it. 

It turns out this happened behind the SRE and it is absolutely unacceptable.  

I get your point about me being quick to point out one way, I've been as quick as I can the opposite I'd say. 

Fair enough and thanks for the clarification.

I just had a memory (not saying it was you) of similar stuff being stated as "fact" and then retracted after a previous visit to Ayr.

For clarity I'm not defending Gibson here. He really should know not to get involved and from what I've heard his actions today easily cross the line of being unacceptable.

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

I agree with the bulk of this but relying on Chalmers to consistently put in a performance is a worry for me. He showed exactly the opposite last season. He plays good in spells as a cameo but is so inconsistent. We need a fucking central midfielder! In the interim I guess trying him out isn't a bad thing. Maybe? He doesn't have enough about him for me though and is too pedestrian at times.
The problem comes when O'Connor is back does that mean Maxwell is dropped?
Bradley is the key for me, he seems to be on the same wavelength as Tomi and needs to start alongside/just behind him from now on. 
Also McAdams should retain the No 1 jersey. He is such a good shot stopper.

Yeah that is an issue. I think Chalmers actually went in for a slide tackle today which is the first I’ve seen from him since he joined. Murdoch is the same in that he occasionally looks back to his best but was quite poor today I thought. I still like him in the team and I think he can be quite effective playing on the right but still quite narrow.

The absolute priority is a midfielder though but it’s unlikely we’ll get one in before January. A centre back and another striker wouldn’t go amiss either.