COP26 Glasgow 31st OCT to 12th NOV

wastecoatwilly

31 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

My neighbour was saying his brothers mate has Air BnB’d his flat down Lancefield Quay, for 16 nights during the summit. He’s making over £20k. 

The taxman is going to have a field day. I wouldn’t be surprised if Hector is going door to door for the next month to see who’s home.

43 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

My neighbour was saying his brothers mate has Air BnB’d his flat down Lancefield Quay, for 16 nights during the summit. He’s making over £20k. 

I don’t know about any of this event, who else is going to this apart from officials who I presume are being put up in hotels? Why are Joe blogs renting their own gaffs out? Who else is involved?

3 hours ago, Karpaty Lviv said:

I don’t know about any of this event, who else is going to this apart from officials who I presume are being put up in hotels? Why are Joe blogs renting their own gaffs out? Who else is involved?

This is part of my confusion. The numbers involved just don't add up to the expected chaos.   25k delegates estimate 100k protesters.  Which surely will be spread over the period?  Even if its towards the higher end. Is it much different to a big game at hampden and maybe a gig? 

The city didn't shut down at the commonwealths,  or european finals at hampden,  or trnsmt.  Glasgow holds events all the time and copes comfortably.  Where's the extra strain coming from? 

14 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

I am still confused to why the Clydeside expressway (one of Glasgow's busiest roads) is being shut more than a week before the thing starts. 

2 or 3 days at a push surely. 

Make the attendees use public transport. Lead by example. There should be no road closures. Bunch of khunts. 

1 hour ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

I am still confused to why the Clydeside expressway (one of Glasgow's busiest roads) is being shut more than a week before the thing starts. 

Can only be security. No idea why anyone thinks this is a good thing to host - the best you can hope to achieve is "unscathed".

Can't remember where but I read somewhere online that they did a pre-COP26 Zoom meeting when it was originally meant to have been held and it was a mess. Some countries kept loosing their internet connection and missed out on half of what was being said. They said they wouldn't take part if it wasn't an in person thing.

16 hours ago, parsforlife said:

This is part of my confusion. The numbers involved just don't add up to the expected chaos.   25k delegates estimate 100k protesters.  Which surely will be spread over the period?  Even if its towards the higher end. Is it much different to a big game at hampden and maybe a gig? 

The city didn't shut down at the commonwealths,  or european finals at hampden,  or trnsmt.  Glasgow holds events all the time and copes comfortably.  Where's the extra strain coming from? 

The area the conference is taking part in becomes a territorial extension of the UN at that time, they have decided what area will be closed etc. Also events at Hampden dont have the ‘significance’ or almost every significant (and insignificant) world leader attending plus other vvips. That plus the anticipated impact of protesters etc means that its going to be carnage. The strain behind this is unimaginable. 

1 hour ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

No. The entire area has to be controlled for a full search and seal of everything including drains/pipes, road infrastructure, rail lines etc, the fact this has been reduced to only a week before is pretty good going as the area to be searched and sealed is absolutely massive. Its also to do with the date the UN has demanded for the venue to be handed over to them to prepare/build the venue and make all this stuff happen. 

Stayed over at the Grand Central last night with her ladyship. A load of Eastern European sodjers (in uniform) checking in at teatime and, looking at the size of their bags, I expect they’re going to be camped there for the duration. 

Chuckled to myself at checkout this morning when some bint was complaining about the all night noise on her floor; I expect it was said sodjers letting off a bit of steam before it got serious today. Also, helicopters all over the city centre this morning. Very environmentally friendly. 

9 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

I smell shite

I don't know the sums involved, 20k sounds exaggerated,  but I know a couple of folk who are moving out and renting for this. One I know is renting to someone with a business in the area who wants to move in to avoid commuting for the duration. I'm pretty sure he's not getting 20k as he can't hold his watter and would have love letting that detail slip.

1 hour ago, thisal said:

I don't know the sums involved, 20k sounds exaggerated,  but I know a couple of folk who are moving out and renting for this. One I know is renting to someone with a business in the area who wants to move in to avoid commuting for the duration. I'm pretty sure he's not getting 20k as he can't hold his watter and would have love letting that detail slip.

Friend of mine who works for a letting agency told me that one of their tenants, who was renting a city centre flat, had handed their notice in and had been due to move out last week. They were back in touch a few weeks ago asking to extend the tenancy till mid-November, which has been granted albeit with some suspicion as to what might be really going on.

I confess to a little unease for the wellbeing of the climate change protestors if they take it upon themselves to block any of the few city centre roads that are to remain open. 

"if the stupit basturt didny want half his face ripped aff, he shouldny hae glued it tae the road in front o ma bus when ah'm trying tae get tae the bingo".