COP26 Glasgow 31st OCT to 12th NOV

wastecoatwilly

5 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I don’t know how she got to London Euston but I’ll wager it was via Heathrow, then a transfer then the train.

Excellent! How much? No idea, but given she insists on traveling by boat across the Atlantic, I'm betting she didn't fly into Heathrow.

Edited by welshbairn

8 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I’ve already been challenged and my confidence isn’t what it was.Maybe you can you tell me how she made it to London? 

You are aware that they built a big f**k off tunnel from England to France, right?  Bloody ages ago too.  It can take trains and everything.  

9 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I’ve already been challenged and my confidence isn’t what it was.Maybe you can you tell me how she made it to London? 

It was by train but she had been there for a week before coming to Glasgow.

Keeps her travel plans quiet due to the zoomer brigade though but she doesn't do planes 

37 minutes ago, resk said:

You are aware that they built a big f**k off tunnel from England to France, right?  Bloody ages ago too.  It can take trains and everything.  

36 minutes ago, doulikefish said:

It was by train but she had been there for a week before coming to Glasgow.

Keeps her travel plans quiet due to the zoomer brigade though but she doesn't do planes 

That’s perfectly fair. But do you have any corroboration of this? 

21 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

I assume you mean evidence of how Greta got to London, not evidence of the existence of Eurostar trains... 

No, I don't.  She's a private individual, and their travel itineraries aren't normally matters of public record.  Do you have evidence that she flew to Heathrow?  

We're both just guessing, but given that she very publicly rejected flying from Europe to the USA a while back, and that the "non-flying" journey between mainland Europe and London is a lot simpler than sailing across the Atlantic, I think my guess that she took the Eurostar is much more likely than your guess that she flew to Heathrow.   

Edited by resk

Your guess / my guess. Nothing conclusive then. 

The basis of my original point wasn’t so much specific to Greta, more about a strata of the population that seem to operate on the basis of ’do as I say, not as I do’. 

The (so far) lack of evidence to say that she came here trans-Europe via train/boat/bicycle  (which’d be all over the media if she had) is good enough for me to suggest she’s developing into another self assured hypocrite. Soz. 

There are a stunning number of older men who seem obsessed about a wee 18 year old Swedish lassie, to the point of absolute rage. That this includes the likes of Putin and Bolsonaro is outstanding enough but her total rinsing of Trump was god-tier level trolling. Glorious. 

FDBfqyRWQAA-ae2?format=jpg&name=900x900
That took longer than I thought tbh

Do you have reason to think it's true though, or is it just a gobby teenager mouthing off that annoys you? 
I think you'll find I'm used to gobby teenagers mouthing off.

If I got annoyed about that I wouldn't be in a job.

Thunberg does not write her speeches alone - she has admitted that herself:

“And yes, I write my own speeches. But since I know that what I say is going to reach many, many people I often ask for input. I also have a few scientists that I frequently ask for help on how to express certain complicated matters. I want everything to be absolutely correct so that I don’t spread incorrect facts, or things that can be misunderstood.”

She came to Glasgow via train from Euston. Looks very environmentally friendly, better photo-op than arriving at Glasgow airport by plane.  
I don’t know how she got to London Euston but I’ll wager it was via Heathrow, then a transfer then the train.

She’d have generated less carbon by arriving direct.  
Your guess / my guess. Nothing conclusive then. 
The basis of my original point wasn’t so much specific to Greta, more about a strata of the population that seem to operate on the basis of ’do as I say, not as I do’. 

The (so far) lack of evidence to say that she came here trans-Europe via train/boat/bicycle  (which’d be all over the media if she had) is good enough for me to suggest she’s developing into another self assured hypocrite. Soz. 
The fucking state of that [emoji23]

11 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

The fucking state of that emoji23.png

It is really quite remarkable.

Even on a rational level, in this age of instant communications does a single person on this planet believe she would risk stepping on a London bound plane?

23 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I think you'll find I'm used to gobby teenagers mouthing off.

If I got annoyed about that I wouldn't be in a job.

Thunberg does not write her speeches alone - she has admitted that herself:

“And yes, I write my own speeches. But since I know that what I say is going to reach many, many people I often ask for input. I also have a few scientists that I frequently ask for help on how to express certain complicated matters. I want everything to be absolutely correct so that I don’t spread incorrect facts, or things that can be misunderstood.”

My word.

Would there be many politicians that write their own big speeches without collegiate input?

This is not an exam you are marking, so the rules on that as opposed to an activist getting her message across are a bit different.

But I think you know that and there is something else you probably do need to clarify to effectively share the point you would wish to share.

Simple Google search gives a link to Daily Mail - not going to post a link, you can look if you want - gives following quote.

The 18-year-old, who left Stockholm on Wednesday and arrived in London by train on Thursday, joined a Youth Strike to Defund Climate Chaos (YSDCC) protest against the funding of fossil fuels outside the Standard Chartered Bank in London.

10 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Ok, disprove me then? 

If you make a claim it is up to you to provide evidence in support and it is considered very bad form and poor internetting etiquette or internetiquetteᵀᴹ to demamd others seek out contradictory evidence to disprove an unevidenced claim that you have made. 

Very disappointing of you and may God have mercy upon your soul.