COP26 Glasgow 31st OCT to 12th NOV

wastecoatwilly

1 hour ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I think you'll find I'm used to gobby teenagers mouthing off.

If I got annoyed about that I wouldn't be in a job.

Thunberg does not write her speeches alone - she has admitted that herself:

“And yes, I write my own speeches. But since I know that what I say is going to reach many, many people I often ask for input. I also have a few scientists that I frequently ask for help on how to express certain complicated matters. I want everything to be absolutely correct so that I don’t spread incorrect facts, or things that can be misunderstood.”

So there we are. What was your point again?

7 hours ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

I think you'll find I'm used to gobby teenagers mouthing off.

If I got annoyed about that I wouldn't be in a job.

Thunberg does not write her speeches alone - she has admitted that herself:

“And yes, I write my own speeches. But since I know that what I say is going to reach many, many people I often ask for input. I also have a few scientists that I frequently ask for help on how to express certain complicated matters. I want everything to be absolutely correct so that I don’t spread incorrect facts, or things that can be misunderstood.”

you were implying her "soundbites" were supplied from her mother and to corroborate that find a quote where she openly admits to seeking input on facts and data from scientists in the field to ensure accuracy. Case firmly closed. 😂

6 hours ago, RH33 said:

Flightrader over glasgow was.busy tonight, Nairobi, Bangladesh and several private jets.

I clocked the Omani air force, Mauritania and Kyrgyzstan all on it yesterday. Made me wish I still lived under the flight path tbh.

27 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

I clocked the Omani air force, Mauritania and Kyrgyzstan all on it yesterday. Made me wish I still lived under the flight path tbh.

I know, I'm just out of sight of it now. Wondering when green peace will hit Clyde as that might be a bit of a fun stand off.

My word.
Would there be many politicians that write their own big speeches without collegiate input?
This is not an exam you are marking, so the rules on that as opposed to an activist getting her message across are a bit different.
But I think you know that and there is something else you probably do need to clarify to effectively share the point you would wish to share.

My biggest issue is that she seems to have been turned into some environmental messiah with all the answers.

I believe that people in the age of 16 have as much intellectual capacity as those who are legally adults to understand the issues related to climate change and potential measures that could be taken to mitigate it. However, if 16-year-olds (now 18 year old) desire to seriously contribute to important political debates, they should, as anyone else, do it without engaging in demagoguery and scaremongering.

By the way that's true not just for Greta Thunberg but some of the adult politicians who have entered the debate.

33 minutes ago, alta-pete said:

Just checking again this morning and there’s currently a Qatari private jet making a 1/2hour flight from Inverness to Glasgow. 🤪

Missed that one, bloody kids.

7 hours ago, Arabdownunder said:

Pretty sure if she'd said that her speeches are entirely self-penned she'd be attacked for saying things without seeking expert advice.  Gammons gonna gammon.

I'm not sure a major politician in the UK has ever delivered an entirely self penned speech. 

My work overlooks George Sq so looking forward to a grandstand view if it all goes off. They have learned from Rangers title 'celebrations' and already removed the benches. 

At the moment there just a small gathering of Iranian protesters with flags. Costa are doing takeaway only and have security on door but Wetherspoons have their tables set up as per normal. Takes more than a potential mass riot to keep folk away from their cheap pints and food. 

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

Just checking again this morning and there’s currently a Qatari private jet making a 1/2hour flight from Inverness to Glasgow. 🤪

Theres a national police air service plane up now. 

7 minutes ago, PWL said:

My work overlooks George Sq so looking forward to a grandstand view if it all goes off. They have learned from Rangers title 'celebrations' and already removed the benches. 

At the moment there just a small gathering of Iranian protesters with flags. Costa are doing takeaway only and have security on door but Wetherspoons have their tables set up as per normal. Takes more than a potential mass riot to keep folk away from their cheap pints and food. 

Are you flogging seats with a view?

9 minutes ago, PWL said:

Wetherspoons have their tables set up as per normal. Takes more than a potential mass riot to keep folk away from their cheap pints and food. 

Just wait until the chip counters realise there are only 15 chips on their plate... 

2 hours ago, Sherrif John Bunnell said:

I like the idea that Greta somehow managed to take a sneaky flight from Sweden to London without anyone noticing. Despite it being a fairly short and easy train journey.

image.thumb.png.58435cab92f02f072dbafab5b9ff3860.png

21 hours. Not too bad and a lot quicker than I thought it would be.

Edit: If it was me, I'd take the plane but I don't need to virtue signal my green credentials. Especially after a career in the oil and gas industry, it would look a bit daft.

Edited by Suspect Device