COP26 Glasgow 31st OCT to 12th NOV

wastecoatwilly

Take a look at the National Grid over the last month and fossil fuels have produced over 50% of electricity generation.
Wind is minimal.
Scotland produces more electricity than it uses, hence it "exports" so much. It was over 90% renewable. Even,if as you suggest the "wind doesn't blow"( 6 days in a year according to the link I posted), hydro,tidal,wave and solar pick up the slack.
The national grid is UK wide, how the rUK decide to produce electricity is their concern.

8 hours ago, jakedee said:

Scotland produces more electricity than it uses, hence it "exports" so much. It was over 90% renewable. Even,if as you suggest the "wind doesn't blow"( 6 days in a year according to the link I posted), hydro,tidal,wave and solar pick up the slack.
The national grid is UK wide, how the rUK decide to produce electricity is their concern.

As a unionist, the UK is my country.

What Scotland produces alone is just part of the National Grid.

Just like the subsidy Scotland receives from London and the SE it’s called ‘pulling and sharing’

As a unionist, the UK is my country.
What Scotland produces alone is just part of the National Grid.
Just like the subsidy Scotland receives from London and the SE it’s called ‘pulling and sharing’
[emoji2357]
31890ce30f119402a38f16e4e71e230e.jpg

Okay, so how significant do those charges translate into electricity consumer prices between the regions of the UK?

It shows that, not only is electricity per KW/hr more expensive to purchase, if you are unfortunate enough to live in the North of Scotland (where cheaper mains gas is not always an option).It also costs generating companies more to put that electricity into the grid.
bc41a0d6958e4f849afe043479894083.jpg

There's been numerous environmentalists in the media over the last few weeks pointing out that the issue with renewables in the UK is not the capacity for generation but the capacity for storage.  We simply don't have enough to take advantage of the windy days, notwithstanding tidal and wave power seems to be hugely underexploited.

I would be keen in the first instance to move towards renewables with back up from new nuclear, which could then be phased out in 30 years.

2 hours ago, jakedee said:

It shows that, not only is electricity per KW/hr more expensive to purchase, if you are unfortunate enough to live in the North of Scotland (where cheaper mains gas is not always an option).It also costs generating companies more to put that electricity into the grid.
bc41a0d6958e4f849afe043479894083.jpg

I think you’re saying that it isn’t all that significant to the end user so, as we all live in the same country, who cares?

Maybe to a separatist, but not to a unionist.

5 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

There's been numerous environmentalists in the media over the last few weeks pointing out that the issue with renewables in the UK is not the capacity for generation but the capacity for storage.  We simply don't have enough to take advantage of the windy days, notwithstanding tidal and wave power seems to be hugely underexploited.

I would be keen in the first instance to move towards renewables with back up from new nuclear, which could then be phased out in 30 years.

I think you are correct.

In the meantime we need to rely on fossil fuels and nuclear until the storage question has been fully addressed..

6 minutes ago, Aladdin said:

Whilst that is undoubtably true, one of the easiest ways we can take the strain off of the grid is to utilise district / communal heating supplies.

Every household heating their own water tank and radiators is madness, when such a simple and environmentally friendly solution is possible.

6 minutes ago, Abdul_Latif said:

Whilst that is undoubtably true, one of the easiest ways we can take the strain off of the grid is to utilise district / communal heating supplies.

Every household heating their own water tank and radiators is madness, when such a simple and environmentally friendly solution is possible.

I listened to a fascinating thing about local or community DC generating grids which could power "above the table" low power devices like phones TVs laptops and stuff while the national AC grid would power your "below the table" high power devices like washing machines and ovens. Sounded like a good idea to me. 

9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Is there going to be loads of rioting and violence at this? 

Undoubtably. George Square for the big Hippy/Insulate Britain/Antifa vs Usual Glasgow itching for a fight mob, could be a genuine no go at times if the police can’t keep a lid on it.

6 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Insulate Britain and Extinction Rebellion aren't going do any rioting.

Likely not but, as always seems to happen at these events, you get the more extreme anti-capitalist, anti-globalist left wingers/anarchists who attach themselves to the protests.

And Glasgow does seem to have its contingent of union jack worshipping, statue saving borderline facists who wont pass up an opportunity to scrap with anyone who appears to be slightly to the left of Nigel Farage.

When they had G7 a few years ago the rabble was described as "anti globalisation protestors" despite there being no such thing. 

Whoever kicks off, real protestor or agent provocateur, they'll have a Gammon pleasing description ready to go.  "Anti-civilisation activists" i reckon.