Your Favourite Computer/Keyboard Shortcuts

AJF

So, exactly as the title mentions, what are some of your favourite or obscure keyboard shortcuts?

It could be something useful in a work environment or something completely random that you think is worth sharing. A few of mine are:

• Windows Key + 'V' = opens the Clipboard App and allows you to paste anything you've previously copied from your current log in session. Useful if you copy and paste a lot of stuff or accidentally copied something so Ctrl+V doesn't paste what you want it to.
  • Alt + '=' (excel) = use this in the cell below a column of values for an instant autosum function that will add them all together.
  • Windows + Shift + Left/Right Arrow key = If you work using dual monitors, this function will move whatever document/window you are looking at to the left/right monitor instantly, saving you have to drag it over
  • Alt + Enter (excel) = when entering text in a cell, this allows you to start a new line in the same cell without jumping to the next cell

So, fire away. Depending how popular I could add all the suggestions to the OP.

33 minutes ago, AJF said:

So, exactly as the title mentions, what are some of your favourite or obscure keyboard shortcuts?

It could be something useful in a work environment or something completely random that you think is worth sharing. A few of mine are:

• Windows + Shift + Left/Right Arrow key = If you work using dual monitors, this function will move whatever document/window you are looking at to the left/right monitor instantly, saving you have to drag it over

Also works if you have two windows open on the one screen, places one on the left half of the screen, one on the right.

ETA, just Win + Left/Right, you don't need shift.

Edited by Arch Stanton

39 minutes ago, AJF said:

7 minutes ago, Arch Stanton said:

Also works if you have two windows open on the one screen, places one on the left half of the screen, one on the right.

scanners-slow-motion.gif

7 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Isnt that a different thing though? With shift, it moves it to the other screen. Without it docks it to the side of the screen its on.

Thats one of my favourites, mainly because I only just found out about it. Also a big for of CTRL+WIN+ARROW to switch between desktops

9 hours ago, AJF said:

• Windows Key + 'V' = opens the Clipboard App and allows you to paste anything you've previously copied from your current log in session. Useful if you copy and paste a lot of stuff or accidentally copied something so Ctrl+V doesn't paste what you want it to.
  • Alt + '=' (excel) = use this in the cell below a column of values for an instant autosum function that will add them all together.
  • Alt + Enter (excel) = when entering text in a cell, this allows you to start a new line in the same cell without jumping to the next cell

So, fire away. Depending how popular I could add all the suggestions to the OP.

Started using Photoshop a lot recently for work and Ctrl+T has genuinely been a life saver.

Also notable mention to Alt+Windows Key+R which starts a screen record which has allowed me to keep a few Meme Videos and Football matches saved away.

Edited by ArabAuslander

23 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Started using Photoshop a lot recently for work and Ctrl+T has genuinely been a life saver.

Also notable mention to Alt+Windows Key+R which starts a screen record which has allowed me to keep a few Meme Videos and Football matches saved away.

I did not know that one.

Reminded me of another of my favourites, SHIFT+WIN+S which lets you take a screen clipping

ETA - although, that might actually be an Office/Onenote shortcut rather than windows

Edited by Mr X