New Year

Girth

I always like to go somewhere for New Year. I know it's a bit shit and overpriced but I hate staying at home and hated being in London at New Year. 

Where's the best place you've been for New Year? Any recommendations?

Edited by Girth

I arrived in Lisbon a while back on New Year's Day, and the whole town was a mess, garbage everywhere and folk lying on the pavements, so it looked like they had had a good bash. Reykjavik's supposed to be good too, but I haven't been. Spent one Hogmanay in a Spanish railway waiting room, when the clock struck I tried to pass round some whisky but there weren't any takers, miserable bunch.

49 minutes ago, hk blues said:

Bangkok for the Millennium 

Philippines was a riot when I lived there. Absolutetly everyone were setting of highly suspect fireworks without a care in the world. Fireworks bouncing off of houses, cars, trikes and buses. Small fires breaking out and everyone pissed up on Emperador and Red Horse.

It was some experience.

Any celebration In Hong Kong that involved fireworks was a laugh with everyone 'wooooh' at the same time, for every firework as if it was the first they had seen.

Budapest was always a good night, but because of the crowd at the time.

Here, it's pretty boring and in Vietnam, China and Indonesia pretty low key as it's not an important/key time.

1 minute ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Philippines was a riot when I lived there. Absolutetly everyone were setting of highly suspect fireworks without a care in the world. Fireworks bouncing off of houses, cars, trikes and buses. Small fires breaking out and everyone pissed up on Emperador and Red Horse.

It was some experience.

Any celebration In Hong Kong that involved fireworks was a laugh with everyone 'wooooh' at the same time, for every firework as if it was the first they had seen.

Budapest was always a good night, but because of the crowd at the time.

Here, it's pretty boring and in Vietnam, China and Indonesia pretty low key as it's not an important/key time.

They do love a party here!

I decided to let off a few here our 1st Hogmany - managed to ruin our new garden furniture when the firework shot up in the air and promptly returned to earth on our chair cushion!  Oh how the wife laughed (Actually, she probably did as, as you know, they laugh at everything here).

Our 1st New Year (Lunar) in Hong Kong we went to the display on the Kowloon waterfront.  Unknown to us, there would be 500,000 folk by the end of the night and we lived way over on Hong Kong Island.  And it was cold!  After about 5 minutes the novelty had worn off and I wanted to go to a pub.  We never made the same mistake again and watched the display on the TV in the pub thereafter.  

Done the same in Hong Kong 2009. Watched from Kowloon and was staying around Northpoint. The queue for the ferries going back was crazy.

First year in Singapore ventured down to the bay for a 10 minute fire display. Absolutely heaving. Was not fun heading home. Like you, never again.

How long will it take East Asian countries to shake off the Covid insanity and truly get back to normal so the above events can be enjoyed again? I just can't see it being viable there for another several years at least.

16 hours ago, Elixir said:

How long will it take East Asian countries to shake off the Covid insanity and truly get back to normal so the above events can be enjoyed again? I just can't see it being viable there for another several years at least.

Assuming the vaccination programmes continue to ramp up and the population decide to take them then I would expect these places will catch up with the more advanced (vaccine wise) countries by end 2022. The challenge will be convincing enough folk to take the vaccines - there is still a fair bit of resistance around me but it's slowly waining. So, I'd imagine sometime 2023 or early 2024 things MAY be getting back to normal if nothing throws a spanner in the works.