Pollok and Irvine Vics booted out

2 hours ago, Shanner said:

that's probably more of a symptom of the devaluation of the tournament than anything else. 

If it had been a points deduction for a league game under the same circumstances they'd currently be doing their dinger I suspect. 

Nope-in any game where players and staff get involved in a rammy like that you are going to get hammered.It doesn’t matter who did what and to whom first etc etc -both sides were culpable.
The one factor which I think could however have made a material difference on the day was having proper assistant referees who would absolutely have stepped in throughout the game to keep benches and players in check.Unfortunately Irvine didn’t want to incur the cost of these so we were left with club committee line judges!Farcical for the National trophy I think and surely a rethink required on that by the SJFA?

The decision has been made however and is correct.And both sides have been fined.

7 hours ago, Burnieman said:

Seems harsh and hardly a move which will encourage clubs in tier 5 and below to take part in future competitions.

I guess Vics can simply resign their membership and tell them to poke their fine.

That's not how a senior club should go about business.

Edited by jimbaxters

9 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Maybe the previous similar cases weren't harsh enough, and perhaps new people at the SJFA have learned the lessons of the past?

They didn't have too many options - and let's be honest neither side deserved to go through if you've seen the videos.

The result standing at 2-1 and fining Pollok doesn't really seem enough punishment for them.

Replaying the game for something that happened with two minutes to go would mean finding a suitable ground (Meadow Park?) and playing midweek before the next round.

Lets be honest, you haven't seen the full video have you?

7 hours ago, lokforever said:

Lets be honest, you haven't seen the full video have you?

Given it's not been released to the public, no. Though I think there was enough to go on from the highlights and Twitter videos...

14 hours ago, Lokloyal said:

The one factor which I think could however have made a material difference on the day was having proper assistant referees who would absolutely have stepped in throughout the game to keep benches and players in check.Unfortunately Irvine didn’t want to incur the cost of these so we were left with club committee line judges!Farcical for the National trophy I think and surely a rethink required on that by the SJFA?

Not really sure what the nearside AR would've been able to do in this case where the benches are on the pitch and everyone is fighting. Could maybe spot some red card offences to help get the game restarted for two minutes though another 4 reds for one team and it would be abandoned anyway!

Edited by Ginaro

Shame to see both clubs kicked out, maybe a financial penalty of the entire gate for the replay going to an anti violence or male mental health charity would have been a much better outcome. 
Or shared between Arthurlie and the Meadow, that'll teach them....

2 hours ago, Burnieman said:

A senior club shouldn't be playing in a Junior competition.

Im not really sure i’d agree, im as pro-pyramid as most but whats the harm so long as it doesnt interfere with other games? Its clearly not taking assistant referees out of the senior game so i mean batter in surely? The more games my teams rivals play the better imo.

34 minutes ago, lokforever said:

The game can continue no matter how many are sent off the only rule is you must have 7 players to start the game afaik

Correct, the "match must be abandoned when you've less than 7 players" thing is a myth. It is entirely at the referee's discretion. I think I recall a Pollok game which was played to a finish when one of the teams was reduced to 6 players with only a minute or so to be played. I also remember the Hearts chairman making a total fool of himself at Ibrox by getting the non-existant rule completely wrong, coming down from the stand and appearing on the track trying to call the game off when they still had 7 players on the pitch.

12 minutes ago, glensmad said:

Correct, the "match must be abandoned when you've less than 7 players" thing is a myth. It is entirely at the referee's discretion. I think I recall a Pollok game which was played to a finish when one of the teams was reduced to 6 players with only a minute or so to be played. I also remember the Hearts chairman making a total fool of himself at Ibrox by getting the non-existant rule completely wrong, coming down from the stand and appearing on the track trying to call the game off when they still had 7 players on the pitch.

Genuine question. Have rules changed since this then?

46 minutes ago, lokforever said:

The game can continue no matter how many are sent off the only rule is you must have 7 players to start the game afaik

Law 3.1 "A match may not start or continue if either team has fewer than seven players." (ok so I should've said if another 4 players were sent off) 

https://www.theifab.com/laws/latest/the-players/#number-of-players

24 minutes ago, glensmad said:

From the link to the IFAB rules, it looks like I am mistaken and the wording of the law has indeed changed.

The 2015/16 LOTG said "Although a match may not START if either team consists of fewer than seven players, the minimum number of players in a team required for a match to CONTINUE is left to the discretion of member associations. However, it is the opinion of the International F.A. Board that a match should not continue if there are fewer than seven players in either team."

A year later with the big laws update the recommendation from IFAB became law. 

Im not really sure i’d agree, im as pro-pyramid as most but whats the harm so long as it doesnt interfere with other games? Its clearly not taking assistant referees out of the senior game so i mean batter in surely? The more games my teams rivals play the better imo.
Are matches in other competitions not being rearranged to accommodate junior cup matches? I may be wrong but I'd imagine the Strathclyde Demolition Cup wouldn't exist if it weren't for the junior cup being an alternative competition?

10 minutes ago, energyzone said:
1 hour ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Are matches in other competitions not being rearranged to accommodate junior cup matches? I may be wrong but I'd imagine the Strathclyde Demolition Cup wouldn't exist if it weren't for the junior cup being an alternative competition?

Strathclyde Cup would still exist, it's the equivalent of the EoS Alex Jack Cup and SoS Alba Cup. The difference would be that the games would be played on Scottish Cup dates more likely than not. As that's what the EoS and SoS do to prevent teams being idle for the first couple of rounds when the majority would be involved.