Pollok and Irvine Vics booted out

11 hours ago, Ginaro said:

Given it's not been released to the public, no. Though I think there was enough to go on from the highlights and Twitter videos...

Not really sure what the nearside AR would've been able to do in this case where the benches are on the pitch and everyone is fighting. Could maybe spot some red card offences to help get the game restarted for two minutes though another 4 reds for one team and it would be abandoned anyway!

The presence of proper assistants would have kept in check the Irvine bench who spent most of the game encroaching on the pitch at every decision and I am sure would have been some kind of deterrent when the players and Irvine bench started squaring up after the second red card tackle on McKenzie.

Edited by Lokloyal

1 minute ago, Burnieman said:

They failed, barely even notice this cup is still being played. Only the odd stramash brings it to the attention of the wider footballing public.

So it has that in common with every cup in Scottish football other than the main two then.

17 minutes ago, Shanner said:

So it has that in common with every cup in Scottish football other than the main two then.

Not really, the Junior Cup of the past was always news in the Scottish football world as you well know.

Edited by Burnieman

Seems harsh and hardly a move which will encourage clubs in tier 5 and below to take part in future competitions.
I guess Vics can simply resign their membership and tell them to poke their fine.
If a similar incident happened in a competition under the auspices of the SFA disciplinary procedures rather than the SJFA, the fines would in all likelihood have been much higher.

1 hour ago, peasy23 said:
On 06/10/2021 at 23:21, Burnieman said:
Seems harsh and hardly a move which will encourage clubs in tier 5 and below to take part in future competitions.
I guess Vics can simply resign their membership and tell them to poke their fine.

If a similar incident happened in a competition under the auspices of the SFA disciplinary procedures rather than the SJFA, the fines would in all likelihood have been much higher.

Maybe, maybe not.  Both clubs would have been cited by the SFA Compliance Officer depending on what was contained in the refs report and any previous incidents taken into account.  What probably would not have happened is expulsion.

My point is, if the SJFA are serious about trying to attract clubs from tier 5 downwards to take part in this competition in future, decisions like this won't encourage anyone.  A competition that doesn't pay any prize money outwith the penultimate rounds, or travelling expenses isn't very attractive as it is, add to that the risk of punitive fines - and expulsions - on top just adds to the unattractiveness.

14 minutes ago, Burnieman said:

A competition that doesn't pay any prize money outwith the penultimate rounds, or travelling expenses isn't very attractive as it is, 

Compared to the South Region Challenge Cup I'd say the Junior Cup is better if you're unfortunate to be drawn away. Half share of gate or a guaranteed amount based on miles. If over a certain amount of miles the SJFA add another 50% to this amount.

How much money is there in the SRCC outwith the penultimate rounds (or even including the penultimate rounds for that matter).

image.png.090b22d1ef695f588f64442418428966.png

image.png.375bec7748a0eb544e6333a21d8198e9.png

34 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

Compared to the South Region Challenge Cup I'd say the Junior Cup is better if you're unfortunate to be drawn away. Half share of gate or a guaranteed amount based on miles. If over a certain amount of miles the SJFA add another 50% to this amount.

Don't the away team get half of the gate after referee fees plus the travel guarantee in the SJC?

46 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

How much money is there in the SRCC outwith the penultimate rounds (or even including the penultimate rounds for that matter).

image.png.090b22d1ef695f588f64442418428966.png

image.png.375bec7748a0eb544e6333a21d8198e9.png

I'm not comparing it to any particular competition, I'm looking at it how clubs would view it to decide if it's worth entering.

17 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Don't the away team get half of the gate after referee fees plus the travel guarantee in the SJC?

No, it's one or the other which was always the issue when heading up north.  The guarantee (paid for by the host club) would almost always be bigger than half the gate (after refs expenses), but nowhere near enough to cover the cost of a bus.  So the home club would lose money, as would the away club, but the SJFA still got a percentage of the gate.

Edited by Burnieman

18 minutes ago, theesel1994 said:

Compared to the South Region Challenge Cup I'd say the Junior Cup is better if you're unfortunate to be drawn away.

Swings and roundabouts I suppose, if you're a small club unfortunate to be drawn at home to a club travelling 100+ miles then you're not going to make any money unless you have 50-60+ paying fans. Whitehills hosted Arthurlie so they had to find £325 for the away team + referee, that's 55 people if they all paid £6.

Neither cup has the best way of doing things, hopefully a single non-league trophy will combine the best bits to make sure both big/small and home/away clubs are catered for. 

42 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Swings and roundabouts I suppose, if you're a small club unfortunate to be drawn at home to a club travelling 100+ miles then you're not going to make any money unless you have 50-60+ paying fans. Whitehills hosted Arthurlie so they had to find £325 for the away team + referee, that's 55 people if they all paid £6.

Neither cup has the best way of doing things, hopefully a single non-league trophy will combine the best bits to make sure both big/small and home/away clubs are catered for. 

If you can't attract 50-60 paying fans for a cup-tie (national, and prestigious(?)), maybe your future is not in semi-professional football.

16 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

If you can't attract 50-60 paying fans for a cup-tie (national, and prestigious(?)), maybe your future is not in semi-professional football.

The gathering headcounts experiment started late into the Junior season in 2019-20 and had a lot of TBC. There was one tie in the SJC noted as getting less than 50-60 people in attendance.

Gartcairn v. Ellon Utd in the 4th Round with 49. Don't think many are doubting their future in semi-professional football or the many other clubs that have operated semi-professionally for decades with low crowds.

• 1 month later...

As there's no Pollok thread this one will have to do. I'm guessing that if they get licensed and are playing in the Scottish Cup it might influence their decision on whether to renew SJFA membership or not

https://www.pollokfc.com/2021/12/06/scottish-junior-fa-membership-statement/

Scottish Junior FA Membership: statement

Following on from the unacceptable scenes at the match versus Irvine Victoria on the 25th September and the Club’s expulsion from the Scottish Junior Cup and associated fine, Pollok FC have considered what, if any, action the Club should take.

The Club have accepted the decision of the SJFA Management Committee but fundamentally disagree with the resulting sanction. It is clear that members of the Management Committee have had to expend a considerable amount of time reviewing the evidence and arriving at their decision and the Club regret that they have had to do so and are grateful for their consideration.

Nonetheless, to be leading a match with two minutes to play, to have the match abandoned and to then be expelled from the competition, with the financial and reputational damage associated with such a decision, given in equal measure to both clubs, when the catalyst for what happened was not of the making of anyone related to Pollok FC is not something we can agree with.

We have been proud members of what has been a remarkable institution for over 100 years. Our membership of the SJFA for the current season was paid for and confirmed many months ago. We will consider whether to apply for membership in the future at the appropriate time. Suffice to say, the mere fact that we have to consider our future membership is regrettable.

5 hours ago, Ginaro said:

As there's no Pollok thread this one will have to do. I'm guessing that if they get licensed and are playing in the Scottish Cup it might influence their decision on whether to renew SJFA membership or not

https://www.pollokfc.com/2021/12/06/scottish-junior-fa-membership-statement/

Toys out the pram, everyone saw how they conducted themselves in the videos so not sure what they were expecting. 

The incident was sparked off by the Irvine coach running on to the pitch throwing punches but our players then got involved all over the pitch so really both sides to blame and I don’t think there was any real point in issuing this statement frankly