Insulate Britain

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I may be wrong here, but was there not some sort of government scheme up here a year or two back that let you insulate your home at a heavily discounted price/free? I assume there was criteria to meet for it but still, at least some efforts have been made. 

Yes, they made an arse of it then scrapped it. 

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/mar/27/uk-government-scraps-green-homes-grant-after-six-months

3 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Yet several of the hypocrite protesters, including Insulate Britain's official spokesperson, are yet to insulate their own homes. 

I'm passionately in favour of saving the planet.

Unless it costs me money.

ETA: We tried to cavity wall insulation when we moved into the house 11 years ago. Only to find that the house is too old and there is no cavity to insulate! Also I've heard that the insulation can cause problems with damp if not done properly.

Insulated the loft since that was all we could do. At our own cost obviously. Same with putting a newer more efficient boiler. Never seem to be entitled to any 'green grants' from the Scottish government.

Edited by Suspect Device

Just now, The Moonster said:

I may be wrong here, but was there not some sort of government scheme up here a year or two back that let you insulate your home at a heavily discounted price/free? I assume there was criteria to meet for it but still, at least some efforts have been made. 

The problem is that our housing stock is way too old and these old properties are so energy inefficient that it's prohibitively expensive to insulate them properly. My sister used the scheme you mentioned for her tenement flat but it's still not even going to achieve an EPC rating above an E.

5 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Hmm, no. I think they want the government to fund/provide incentives for well insulated homes, rather than subsidising (or not) the heating of energy inefficient properties not actually have Dominic Raab in a boiler suit squirting foam into your wall cavity.

Just now, williemillersmoustache said:

This was going to be my reply to your reply but I see you’ve beaten me to it. 

The dickheads sitting on the roads will surely know the government have made a James Hunt of such a scheme before and can’t be relied on, so get up off the fucking roads because it’s pointless. 

12 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

Didn't realise they'd messed it up, my mate had a business that carried it out and I thought they were going pretty well, but I never paid much attention. 

3 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

This was going to be my reply to your reply but I see you’ve beaten me to it. 

The dickheads sitting on the roads will surely know the government have made a James Hunt of such a scheme before and can’t be relied on, so get up off the fucking roads because it’s pointless. 

Is that all you expect of your elected officials?

Modern political activism is a strange thing.  So much of it seems to be about 'raising awareness', which is a fundamentally top-down, elitist view.  It divides people between the few who are aware and the lumpen mass of the unaware.  The unaware must be roused from their slumbers and the way the aware do this is by direct action, shutting down London city centre by Extinction Rebellion for example.  Prior to the videos seen in the last few days, there had been footage of angry commuters dragging XR protesters off the roof of a train in Dagenham a couple of years ago, the protester being a posh-crusty type.  Often the causes that the aware in these situations look to publicise are vague and wide ranging - climate change, anti-racism.

The difference about insulate Britain is that their goal is not wide ranging, it is very specific.  It's strange that they have this sensible goal that pretty much everyone would agree with but are pursuing it in a way that is almost guaranteed to make everyone hate them.  The idea that you have to jolt people into awareness rather than persuade them is powerful.  Rather than try and campaign and work together, everyone needs a good kick, they need to be inconvenienced and in some cases hurt to make the point.

In addition, there's also an element of cosplaying, Larping, whatever neologism you want to use for it, about the protests.  The images of sitdown protests recall the civil rights movement in the USA, a lot of these activists either conciously or not will see a parallel with their own protests.  If you look at the age of a lot of people on these protests they aren't young people (what young person is going to take direct action for loft insulation), there's an element of people of a certain age trying to recapture an imagined past in these protests.  

5 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Modern political activism is a strange thing.  So much of it seems to be about 'raising awareness', which is a fundamentally top-down, elitist view.  It divides people between the few who are aware and the lumpen mass of the unaware.  The unaware must be roused from their slumbers and the way the aware do this is by direct action, shutting down London city centre by Extinction Rebellion for example.  Prior to the videos seen in the last few days, there had been footage of angry commuters dragging XR protesters off the roof of a train in Dagenham a couple of years ago, the protester being a posh-crusty type.  Often the causes that the aware in these situations look to publicise are vague and wide ranging - climate change, anti-racism.

The difference about insulate Britain is that their goal is not wide ranging, it is very specific.  It's strange that they have this sensible goal that pretty much everyone would agree with but are pursuing it in a way that is almost guaranteed to make everyone hate them.  The idea that you have to jolt people into awareness rather than persuade them is powerful.  Rather than try and campaign and work together, everyone needs a good kick, they need to be inconvenienced and in some cases hurt to make the point.

In addition, there's also an element of cosplaying, Larping, whatever neologism you want to use for it, about the protests.  The images of sitdown protests recall the civil rights movement in the USA, a lot of these activists either conciously or not will see a parallel with their own protests.  If you look at the age of a lot of people on these protests they aren't young people (what young person is going to take direct action for loft insulation), there's an element of people of a certain age trying to recapture an imagined past in these protests.  

It works though.

I'd never heard of these guys before today and still wouldn't have if they had gone about things nicely. 

No such thing as bad publicity? 

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

It works though.

I'd never heard of these guys before today and still wouldn't have if they had gone about things nicely. 

No such thing as bad publicity? 

said Prince Andrew as he took his seat opposite Emily Matlis...."and action"

Guest Bob Mahelp
9 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Pretty much this. I see their 'leader' has said that they would gladly stop an ambulance with a dying patient in it. 

That's the thing about protest. It only works when you can get the majority onboard. As you pointed out, most people would agree with the aim behind this protest, but if they start to look like extremists then support will drop away very, very quickly. 

They're also giving the government an open door to bring in sweeping legislation which will not only quickly put an end to 'Insulate Britain', but will be used in the future to squash all kinds of valid anti-government protest. 

This is a strange hill for these people to die on, to be honest. 

IB's spokesperson Liam Norton having an absolute 'mare on Jeremy Vine (I know, I know) this morning.

Essentially trying to justify the risk of killing people unable to travel on ambulances if it might save 10 million who are projected to die in ~10 years time, then suddenly avoiding the conversation as soon as they asked if he'd feel the same if it was his own mum in the ambulance.  A seething mess from start to finish, incapable of holding any form of discussion.

If the rest of them are anything like him, then there's clearly nothing that anyone else can say to make them change their methods.

Edited by Hedgecutter

I'm switching sides on this, mon Insulate Britain! Not usually one for conspiracy theories but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the ambulance was empty.

Johnson on LBC..

“There are some people who call those people legitimate protesters – they are not,” the Prime Minister said. “I think they are irresponsible crusties who are basically trying to stop people going about their day’s work and doing considerable damage to the economy.

“That’s why we have taken the powers and why Priti Patel is doing the right thing to bring in powers so they can get six months or an unlimited fine – or we have section 60 powers to stop and search the whole area.”

Edited by welshbairn

25 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Essentially trying to justify the risk of killing people unable to travel on ambulances if it might save 10 million who are projected to die in ~10 years time

Well, you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs, can you comrade?

I'm switching sides on this, mon Insulate Britain!
Johnson on LBC..
“There are some people who call those people legitimate protesters – they are not,” the Prime Minister said. “I think they are irresponsible crusties who are basically trying to stop people going about their day’s work and doing considerable damage to the economy.
“That’s why we have taken the powers and why Priti Patel is doing the right thing to bring in powers so they can get six months or an unlimited fine – or we have section 60 powers to stop and search the whole area.”

Plants to force this authoritarian stuff through imo opinion.

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

Well, you can't make an omelette without breaking a few eggs, can you comrade?

The 'trolley problem' can be argued all year long, but suddenly dodging it mid-argument when it involves something that would inconvenience him isn't a good look.  As said earlier, it's important enough when it's free, not so much when it's not.

Guest Bob Mahelp
18 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I'm switching sides on this, mon Insulate Britain! Not usually one for conspiracy theories but it wouldn't surprise me at all if the ambulance was empty.

Johnson on LBC..

All the government have to do is designate IB as a terrorist organisation, and that's it done. 

To be fair, this nonsense started under Tony Blair, who used anti-terrorist legislation to stop a pensioner heckling him at party conference.