Insulate Britain

18 hours ago, Empty It said:
19 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:
No. You don't. No one does. Road tax doesn't exist. Roads are kept by the central government or local councils. Despite almost never using the roads at all I pay just as much for their upkeep as car owners. 

What is the yearly tax people pay on their cars/vans then?

Each year you pay Vehicle Excise Duty which is based on the CO2 emissions of your car. More polluting cars pay more.

Cars running on electricity is a great idea in terms of nothing coming out of an exhaust but the CO2 in the production is horrific. Not just the batteries but all the materials in the production, the factory, the shipping.  The weight of the vehicles and the impact on the longevity of the roads. Folk should just buy less stuff in general. 

Hydrogen fuel cells and synthetic fuels are also in their infancy. We’re probably at a VHS/Betamax point. 

On 18/11/2021 at 15:22, Empty It said:
On 18/11/2021 at 14:48, AsimButtHitsASix said:
No. You don't. No one does. Road tax doesn't exist. Roads are kept by the central government or local councils. Despite almost never using the roads at all I pay just as much for their upkeep as car owners. 

What is the yearly tax people pay on their cars/vans then?

Always hilarious when someone comes out with the old “road tax doesn’t exist” schtick thinking they’ve ‘got someone’. Vehicle Excise Duty exists and does the same job.

13 hours ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Always hilarious when someone comes out with the old “road tax doesn’t exist” schtick thinking they’ve ‘got someone’. Vehicle Excise Duty exists and does the same job.

It doesn't pay for the road network, it is just a bog-standard tax on owning a vehicle that has gone into the general pot of government money since before WW2. 

Private car ownership of all types should be steadily phased out in urban/semiurban areas. 

16 minutes ago, virginton said:

It doesn't pay for the road network, it is just a bog-standard tax on owning a vehicle that has gone into the general pot of government money since before WW2. 

Private car ownership of all types should be steadily phased out in urban/semiurban areas. 

Yes, and that general pot is used for maintenance of the road network along with the various other taxes that go into it.

1 hour ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

Yes, and that general pot is used for maintenance of the road network along with the various other taxes that go into it.

Road maintenance is not correlated to the amount of vehicle excise duty raised though, so you have as much 'right' to use roads or demand better maintenance of them as someone who pays VAT - which is to say, everyone. 

If road users were ever made to pay for all the costs of their behaviour then there would be a complete social meltdown in this country. 

The "bUt I pAy rOaD tAx" drivel always gets an airing when morbidly obese drivers try to claim it as some sort of primacy on road usage over cyclists. It's a bollocks argument because road maintenance is funded by general taxation and council tax. Everyone contributes towards road maintenance regardless of car ownership.

1 minute ago, Wee Bully said:

As does income tax, VAT, NI, etc etc. Whats your point?

VED is not hypothecated. 

My point is that ABHAS doesn’t have the ‘got ya’ he thinks he does. Road users (along with all taxpayers) pay for the maintenance of the road network and therefore do have every right to complain about the upkeep or lack-thereof. 

3 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

My point is that ABHAS doesn’t have the ‘got ya’ he thinks he does. Road users (along with all taxpayers) pay for the maintenance of the road network and therefore do have every right to complain about the upkeep or lack-thereof. 

If I’m agreeing with virginton, it really should make you think about your position here. 

26 minutes ago, Wee Bully said:

If I’m agreeing with virginton, it really should make you think about your position here. 

I’m not sure what you think my position is. I haven’t commented on anything regarding IB here, my point is purely that ABHAS isn’t correct when he intimates that road users don’t pay any tax that contributes to road maintenance.

On 18/11/2021 at 13:48, AsimButtHitsASix said:

1 hour ago, Wee Bully said:

As does income tax, VAT, NI, etc etc. Whats your point?

VED is not hypothecated. 

59 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

27 minutes ago, Honest_Man#1 said:

I’m not sure what you think my position is. I haven’t commented on anything regarding IB here, my point is purely that ABHAS isn’t correct when he intimates that road users don’t pay any tax that contributes to road maintenance.

Glad you've climbed down a bit from your silly knee-jerk "but my wee carrrrr" reaction to a factually accurate point, but you're still not arguing against a point anyone has made here. Of course private car drivers (not the only road users as you well know despite your as usual hilariously selective framing) pay tax that contribute to road maintenance. So does everyone else who pays tax though, so your multi-post wailing is still completely irrelevant.