Insulate Britain

3 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

You forgot ‘and feeling entitled to be paid even when you didn’t show up for work’.

I think that all employees should be entitled to be paid if they don’t show up for work for reasons outwith their control, such as sickness or transport problems (protests, strikes, extreme weather etc). 

Do you not? 

8 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

I think that all employees should be entitled to be paid if they don’t show up for work for reasons outwith their control, such as sickness or transport problems (protests, strikes, extreme weather etc). 

Do you not? 

Yes, I’m up for that, but I don’t have a business, so I would say that. 

27 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Do you not? 

How does this work if you are self employed?

5 hours ago, strichener said:

All costs that are known about when you take an employee on and the majority of which are actually paid by the government.

The idea that you hold companies financially responsible for protesters stopping employer's getting to work is just ludicrous.

It is an employee's responsibility to get to work, just as it's an employer's responsibility to provide work.  

Your being purposely stupid after your initial post that workers should get paid for not being able to go to work and then putting that burden onto the businesses.  Over 90% of businesses in Scotland are classed as SME with less than 50 employees, why should they shoulder the wages of someone that can't get to work due to road closures?  Where do you draw the line on what is acceptable reasons not to turn up for work.

As I said, genuine workers rights are fine, this suggestion is naive and I would guess posted by people working for large companies or the public sector. 

Anyone that has run a small business that relies on workers directly for income (trades, consultancy etc.) would soon be laying people off.

Also, ironically many have posted in here that the Government are responsible for this.  Rather stupid to then say but financially business needs to be paying for it. 

What about if you work for a small business and then (say for example to drop your van off at the end of your shift) you can’t get back to the depot. Does that make it the employers responsibility to pay you overtime until you can get through the protesters to return your van? 

18 minutes ago, Peter Grant said:

Insulation without adequate ventilation means mould, dampness, and inevitably a decorator to sort out the resultant mouldy hell. 

Yeh, but ‘Insulate Britain and Properly Ventilate it too’ was a bit of a mouthful.

48 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

How does this work if you are self employed?

Well as we're always hearing from the self employed in their breaks from finding new and innovative ways to evade tax there are both risks and benefits to it and, just as they should save to cover the lack of sick pay, they should do likewise for other unforeseen circumstances. 

3 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Well as we're always hearing from the self employed in their breaks from finding new and innovative ways to evade tax there are both risks and benefits to it and, just as they should save to cover the lack of sick pay, they should do likewise for other unforeseen circumstances. 

You make it seem so simple, why didn't I think of that?

3 minutes ago, Zen Archer (Raconteur) said:

You make it seem so simple, why didn't I think of that?

If you're self employed and you're unable to save sufficiently to cover eventualities whereby you would experience a loss of income (which let's remind ourselves in the case being discussed is being stuck in traffic for up to 3 hours due to a protest!) then whatever you're doing as a self employed person is not financially viable and you should look at other, more secure employment options or reconsider your financial priorities. 

3 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

To be fair he seems to have gone up pretty quickly. He could've been brushed away about 10 minutes after that.

Short, sharp protest, point made, we can all get about our business, win, win.

Exactly. A wee drop of sawdust over the stain and everything's fine again.  Protest gets publicity, cause gets support, traffic barely impeded, job done. 

4 hours ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Why shouldn't an employed person save " for unforseen circumstances".

If you are in paid employment and not turning up for work causes you financial hardship then you shouldnt be doing that job or you should reconsider your financial priorities.

Not sure why you are discriminating against the self-employed, I am sure you would quite happily pay the plumber to not come to your house to fit your heating if he encountered a road closure on the way.  tis only right..or is it only when it's someone else's money?

Edited by strichener

11 minutes ago, strichener said:

Why shouldn't an employed person save " for unforseen circumstances".

If you are in paid employment and not turning up for work causes you financial hardship then you shouldnt be doing that job or you should reconsider your financial priorities.

Not sure why you are discriminating against the self-employed, I am sure you would quite happily pay the plumber to not come to your house to fit your heating if he encountered a road closure on the way.  tis only right..or is it only when it's someone else's money?

I would tell the plumber that I completely understood the issue, would advise him to not attempt to assault a protestor, and would of course rearrange a time for them to perform the work for which they would be fully paid. You'll remember that this was another option I posited for all workers because you're engaging a thought out position in good faith, rather than allowing your pedantic contrarianism to swing you about like a snake charmer's cobra 

25 minutes ago, Glennie said:

here we go normal punters are radical

middle-class crusties sitting on roads glueing their faces to things are normal

"Normal punters" hitting peaceful protesters with their cars sounds pretty radical to me tbh.

Edited by Mr. Brightside