St Johnstone vs Livingston 16/10/21

On 17/10/2021 at 20:15, PauloPerth said:

I didn’t think it was that bad a choice of pass from Craig.  From the third minute upto that moment, I thought we’d been passing the ball around well, and for the most part building through midfield instead of humping it long as we have been guilty of a few times this season.  

Craig going back to Clark seemed fine to keep us in possession, but obviously McCart losing track of it under his feet put an end to that spell of play!

We still struggle to break teams down, both strikers want to come short and get involved in the build up, but rarely do we get a through ball or penetrating pass which gets us in. Maybe needed to mix it up a bit to attack with more urgency a few times.  We often would slow play with possession across midfield, and let Livi get everyone behind the ball and tough to break down.

With the Craig - Clarke decisions in that instance, they're quite possibly under instruction from their manager to keep their passing short out of defence. It wasn't actually a particularly poor performance by St J and it was a bit of a freak scoreline given the balance of play over the entire match.

Your point about May and Kane; they're both very hard-working, support strikers more than the selfish, poacher type. Then Wotherspoon at attacking mid drops deep to create rather than bursts into the forward line looking to score. 

St J on Saturday had done to them what we (Livi) more or less had done to us recently by St Mirren and Motherwell. Away from home, much of the league goes defence-first mentality and looks to nick goals from opposition defensive errors, set pieces or the occasional counter attack. But then in home matches, you have to play quite differently and be more possession heavy, being the team to take control of the play. It's very hard in this league to get the balance right regarding playing style.

8 hours ago, FreedomFarter said:

St J on Saturday had done to them what we (Livi) more or less had done to us recently by St Mirren and Motherwell. Away from home, much of the league goes defence-first mentality and looks to nick goals from opposition defensive errors, set pieces or the occasional counter attack. But then in home matches, you have to play quite differently and be more possession heavy, being the team to take control of the play. It's very hard in this league to get the balance right regarding playing style.

Yeah we had that a lot last season at home. Looked a different side attacking wise than away.

Something we've not really sorted and one that's need it. Think playing Wotherspoon and Crawford in midfield at the same time is an attempt to help us create more, but obviously Saturday saw Crawford injured and it forced us to play just a clearly jet lagged Wotherspoon. Fairly sure Vertainen is expected to offer us different to Kane/May in attack in these games, but the managers reluctant to use him for whatever reason.

Not sure either set of fans should read a huge amount into the game, but I know the reaction that'll get from Livi fans. Early goals always make games hard to judge, then the two farces make it easy for them. Still got to hold on etc., and I think Livi done well to remain solid and compact, with pressing at the right time and bravery on the ball when it's won, but it's naive to expect the performance from both sides to now be their standards, due to the circumstances of the game.

5 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yeah we had that a lot last season at home. Looked a different side attacking wise than away.

Something we've not really sorted and one that's need it. Think playing Wotherspoon and Crawford in midfield at the same time is an attempt to help us create more, but obviously Saturday saw Crawford injured and it forced us to play just a clearly jet lagged Wotherspoon. Fairly sure Vertainen is expected to offer us different to Kane/May in attack in these games, but the managers reluctant to use him for whatever reason.

Not sure either set of fans should read a huge amount into the game, but I know the reaction that'll get from Livi fans. Early goals always make games hard to judge, then the two farces make it easy for them. Still got to hold on etc., and I think Livi done well to remain solid and compact, with pressing at the right time and bravery on the ball when it's won, but it's naive to expect the performance from both sides to now be their standards, due to the circumstances of the game.

The fact we had players around your box chasing down the ball and someone to take advantage of your mistakes made a huge difference though, we hadn't set ourselves out to play like that away from home this season, and have been howling away from home, not scoring a single goal. It was a freak result against a normally solid St Johnstone defence, and will have no bearing on future results between us, but hopefully it saw a change in how Martindale will play  us away from home, at least against bottom 8 teams. 

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

26 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

The fact we had players around your box chasing down the ball and someone to take advantage of your mistakes made a huge difference though, we hadn't set ourselves out to play like that away from home this season, and have been howling away from home, not scoring a single goal. It was a freak result against a normally solid St Johnstone defence, and will have no bearing on future results between us, but hopefully it saw a change in how Martindale will play  us away from home, at least against bottom 8 teams. 

Yeah I tried not to be one of those "you only won because we were shit" types because I hate them, but I'd just be wary about getting too excited about it due to the early goal which changes a lot in terms of how the game goes.

I don't think any Livi fans are getting too excited, however given the turgid, passive displays this season it's nice to see us back to the high pressing game that's served us well. Going from long balls to a lone midfielder up front to this boded well.

image.png.0f627bb7a07e37c94625a869c8600b5b.png

It may have been an off day for St Johnstone, but if we press and attack all teams like that we'll be able to start looking up the table

I think what Livi fans will take from this is that Martindale can learn and change things for the better. He’s growing as a manager and actually getting better. He’s arrested the slump a bit here and is finding a settled first XI. It’s now time for a bit of consistency. A win against Ross County would be huge 

6 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

I think what Livi fans will take from this is that Martindale can learn and change things for the better. He’s growing as a manager and actually getting better. He’s arrested the slump a bit here and is finding a settled first XI. It’s now time for a bit of consistency. A win against Ross County would be huge 

Yeah as much as he may have faults, he's shown some signs recently that he occasionally know what he's doing.

1 hour ago, The Wrong Car said:

Yeah as much as he may have faults, he's shown some signs recently that he occasionally know what he's doing.

Certainly does in home games against Celtic, just needs to remember that what works against one team doesn't necessarily work against the following 3 teams we play.