St Johnstone vs Livingston 16/10/21

For me, Clarke even being mentioned there is unfair as his pass was completely fine. He even hit it behind McCart, away from the pressing Livi players, and weighting it to run through onto McCart's stronger left side (had McCart not stepped across and backheeled it). McCart's error alone.

What a difference when Anderson has support in our attack, and wasn't isolated getting long balls shelled up to him all game. Pitts was back in a more familiar role too, the feck was Martindale doing with him earlier in the season playing him as cover for our FB's on the wing. Our home form hasn't been as bad as results showed, but our away form was dreadful, mainly due to how we set up in attack, that was MUCH, MUCH better from us yesterday, pressing hard and supporting Anderson leading the line.

Starting to believe Martindale now that we wont be relegated.

I think yesterday was the first time that a striker had support (from Bailey, Pittman and Montano) since the first half of the Motherwell game and it showed

Glad to see Martindale kept 4 at the back when defending a lead (even if Longridge and Montano did slot into LCB and LWB at times) Having an outball, rather than Sean Kelly's 60th minute sub appearance, on the pitch seemed to stop us getting penned in. I don't think Montano was particularly good to be fair, however he does give the team a nicer balance. Omeonga, Pittman and Holt also seemed more like the harrying Byrne-Jacobs-Pittman midfield of old

8 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

I don't think Montano was particularly good to be fair, however he does give the team a nicer balance. 

This. Need to see more form him to convince me he is better in that position than Kabia and particularly Forrest who was excellent when he came on.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

6 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

This. Need to see more form him to convince me he is better in that position than Kabia and particularly Forrest who was excellent when he came on.

The main advantage seems to be his height. There's been numerous games when Stryjek has punted it long to midfield and attackers consisting of  Pittman, Sibbald, Omeonga, Holt, Anderson, Bailey, Forrest, Shinnie or Kabia. Montano seemed to be our main target, especially when Rooney went off, and covered Penrice well however he didn't do much in an attacking sense. 

I've seen Montano 3 times this season and every time he looks utterly honking.

On the other hand, I don't want to be a negaitve Nancy about yesterday. Great result, Pittman looked back to his old self, Anderson and Bailey had their best games in a Livi shirt and despite all of Saints posession then we looked solid throughout.

Omeonga's looking like a great signing as the weeks go by. And Holt is looking like the leader of this team in the absence of Bartley.

A win next week in Dingwall would be massive

3 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

covered Penrice well

My guess is Martindale most liked this defensive aspect to Montaño. With Forrest and Bailey, he seems to be hesitant to play both together (although he has at times). Seems he prefers just one of them then a less adventurous choice on the other side. Bailey and Forrest do actually both defend well but they do so higher up the pitch. Forrest especially is a brilliant presser. But that is different to the dropping back and doubling up with the full back like Montaño was doing yesterday.

Yeah early days though, Montano looked very decent in flashes earlier in cup game group stages, and hasn't had much game time to gel with the team since. In fact the whole squad has had such a stuttery season with one thing or the other hampering us having a bit of consistency with a starting XI playing together every week.

Is this the first game we've had without a player going off injured? Although i think Penrice was carrying a groin strain and that's why he was subbed, but it was refreshing to see us not having 2 and 3 players getting injured by tackles, forcing the substitutions, or spewing up during the game. 

Hopefully this is the start of us seeing what we can do with a fully fit match day squad, and get a bit of consistency going to build on good results.

For me, Clarke even being mentioned there is unfair as his pass was completely fine. He even hit it behind McCart, away from the pressing Livi players, and weighting it to run through onto McCart's stronger left side (had McCart not stepped across and backheeled it). McCart's error alone.

Why did Craig not clear the ball upfield?

46 minutes ago, akuram said:

Why did Craig not clear the ball upfield?

Good point, I hadn't considered his role and, aye, he needn't have gone back to Clarke with his pass.

1 hour ago, Mr. Alli said:

Those second and third goals will be shown for quite some time. The third especially. 

Much the same thing happened with us against Motherwell, Stryjek wiped Kelly out and Amaluzer (brilliant name) was through onto the loose ball but the ref blew to stop the game because Kelly got clattered and was flat out on the deck. Proper Laurel & Hardie with Efe and MOH colliding into one another though.

Those second and third goals will be shown for quite some time. The third especially. 

Sky sports news this morning were absolutely loving it. Nearly turned me back to the drink at 8 this morning.

I didn’t think it was that bad a choice of pass from Craig.  From the third minute upto that moment, I thought we’d been passing the ball around well, and for the most part building through midfield instead of humping it long as we have been guilty of a few times this season.  

Craig going back to Clark seemed fine to keep us in possession, but obviously McCart losing track of it under his feet put an end to that spell of play!

We still struggle to break teams down, both strikers want to come short and get involved in the build up, but rarely do we get a through ball or penetrating pass which gets us in. Maybe needed to mix it up a bit to attack with more urgency a few times.  We often would slow play with possession across midfield, and let Livi get everyone behind the ball and tough to break down.

4 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Much the same thing happened with us against Motherwell, Stryjek wiped Kelly out and Amaluzer (brilliant name) was through onto the loose ball but the ref blew to stop the game because Kelly got clattered and was flat out on the deck. Proper Laurel & Hardie with Efe and MOH colliding into one another though.

Think that was when Kelly actually broke his ribs as well