St Johnstone vs Livingston 16/10/21

Tbf I don't think anyone saying it was our worst all round performance for years, just defensively.

Even in the boring old TW days where we barely had the ball near the opponents box we were still solid. We literally handed that game to Livi today through defensive errors.

Really today we got of to a terrible start and it went downhill with our mistakes. Fair play to Livi as they deserved all three points. Cannot understand how the Eutu still doesn't get on even at 3-0 when we are beaten to give him a run. 

We could be playing still with Livi away home and we wouldn't have scored.

As poor a display as I can remember for a long time.

It really is. I’m kind of looking forward to seeing the second and third again just to check they were as ridiculous as I remember them.

At the other end we didn’t get many breaks; Kane’s header that the Livi keeper pulled off the greatest save of his life, Kane himself looking like he saved a goal bound header off the Livi line at a corner (might have been going wide anyway), shot cleared off the line, Craig hitting the bar.  Nowhere near enough to win, but we had openings.

Thought McPherson looked excellent on the ball in the first half.

Are folk still pinning hopes on Eetu being any good?

Only because he’s here for 2 years and because Melamed hadn’t even started a game by this point last season as far as I remember. Dunno why we chose to bring on James Brown instead of him today right enough.

18 minutes ago, Zamora Fan said:

Only because he’s here for 2 years and because Melamed hadn’t even started a game by this point last season as far as I remember. Dunno why we chose to bring on James Brown instead of him today right enough.

With Rooney injured and Mickey looking like he was still carrying a knock it was to  give Brown game time same with Murray Davidson for Efe.

Good build up play and excellent body strength by Anderson leading up to our opener, well stuck away by Bailey too. 2nd was a gift but again well put away, the quick run onto the ball and early striker gave Clark no chance. 3rd was again poor defending, but credit to us for pressing them into it, something we haven't done much of this season, was like the Livi of old today. Again a clinical finish and excellent assist by Anderson.

So glad for all 3 of our goal scorers for different reasons, Bailey has been desperate for a goal, and should've had one against St Mirren, Anderson has had a tough time since his diabetic incident at Easter rd, then being dropped for Shinnie, and Pittman scored a very Pittman esque goal, being in the right position at the right time for a tap in, and has had a tough time with injuries this season too.

Very unlike St Johnstone to be so poor defensively, but some of that was to do how well Livi pressed and finished off our goals too, we had 5 chances as good as those against St Mirren and just couldn't score, massive improvement in our finishing today.

Also have to say Rooney going off injured gave us a boost, the amount of set pieces St Johnstone had putting balls into our box, i felt very confident we'd defend them without Rooney on the pitch.

Edited by LIVIFOREVER

56 minutes ago, PauloPerth said:

It really is. I’m kind of looking forward to seeing the second and third again just to check they were as ridiculous as I remember them.

At the other end we didn’t get many breaks; Kane’s header that the Livi keeper pulled off the greatest save of his life, Kane himself looking like he saved a goal bound header off the Livi line at a corner (might have been going wide anyway), shot cleared off the line, Craig hitting the bar.  Nowhere near enough to win, but we had openings.

Thought McPherson looked excellent on the ball in the first half.

It's not even his best this season :D Had a worldie last season against Rangers as well from a Barisic free kick

Thought Anderson showed why he's at the club today, 1 goal, 2 assists. What a player. Odin Bailey another that was utterly phenomenal too. Holt was a major standout though, he's transformed into an incredible midfielder compared to last season.

I spent most of the afternoon just pointing out various 'Efe moments'. Good times were had.

Kane’s header that the Livi keeper pulled off the greatest save of his life

He's made several better saves this season already. Point blank saves seem to be his speciality...letting long range shots squirm through him also seems a knack of his unfortunately. He's a top keeper though.

Today was all down to a shocking defensive performance – to the extent that it's hard to say whether Livingston played well or not. They were handed the game by horrible errors.

Think McCart might be staying with us a bit longer than he plans if he keeps on producing performances like that. That version of Ambrose has been threatening to arrive for a while – and we all knew it was coming.  He's far too risky to be a regular first-team player.

Elsewhere, a disappointing performance too from O'Halloran who's been so good in recent weeks, but today didn't seem to want to take on the right-back, and I'm not sure if he got a clean cross in all day. Wotherspoon for me hasn't looked decent for a few games now, but at least he's got an excuse: why was Davidson throwing him into a game after his international exertions? Analysing McPherson's performance I suppose depends on the angle you're looking at it – I just kept thinking, he's no Ali McCann.

Not sure I fully get the criticism of May – he was always interested, always chasing, always trying something. Which is what he does most weeks. Just amounted to nothing today. Thought Kane, particularly in the first half, was no better – did he actually block a St Johnstone goal at one point? – but he gets some credit because he falls over effectively.

One plus – and it's a tiny one – Murray Davidson looked sharp in his cameo at the end and will surely start ahead of Craig now.

But yeah, certainly questions to ask the manager about the line up, about the substitutions – when two strikers aren't doing anything what have you got to lose by throwing Vertainen on? – and about their timing. At half time I was thinking that at least Davidson would have to make his substitutions now, but again, nothing until far too late. We looked flat for an entire 90 minutes, and I'm not sure I've seen that for years.

Edited by Mr Heliums

4 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Not just me who thought the ref and the east stand linesman were fucking abysmal?

Don’t think the Main Stand linesman was much better! 

Feel like there was a slight suspicion of offside for the first goal but would need to see it again 

25 minutes ago, ATLIS said:

Thought Anderson showed why he's at the club today, 1 goal, 2 assists. What a player. Odin Bailey another that was utterly phenomenal too. Holt was a major standout though, he's transformed into an incredible midfielder compared to last season.

I spent most of the afternoon just pointing out various 'Efe moments'. Good times were had.

First time I’ve seen Bailey today - was seriously impressed 

Just now, PauloPerth said:

At the time I thought the second goal was a joint f**k up between Clark and McCart, but on seeing it back it's pretty much all about McCart I'm afraid.

As assists go, it's Ronaldo-esque the way he flicks it with his heel straight into Anderson's path.

Yeah I thought at the game that it was all on McCart - the pass must travel 15 yards before it hits McCart, and it was obviously the right pass to make. I’ve got no idea what McCart thought he was doing there.

Yeah I thought at the game that it was all on McCart - the pass must travel 15 yards before it hits McCart, and it was obviously the right pass to make. I’ve got no idea what McCart thought he was doing there.

A guy next to me starting ranting about Clark. I couldn’t believe him considering McCart had his back turned and seemed to have no focus.

By the end of the match it looked like he had no confidence.

18 minutes ago, mizfit said:

Not just me who thought the ref and the east stand linesman were fucking abysmal?

They were poor but they didn't affect the game at all really. 3rd goal comes directly from the most bizarre offside decision I've ever seen awarded, but it's impossible to blame that when you've two players with simple clearances wipe each other out instead.