Downdee v Aberdown 16/10/21

We went through a good patch when playing them at Pittodrie in the late 90's early 2000's. Those days seem like such a distant memory!
I've been to Pittodrie several times and seen us lose them all, including Gary Patterson's famous debut. The solitary win was TC's "double" on Hogmanay 1988 [emoji23]

11 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

I've been to Pittodrie several times and seen us lose them all, including Gary Patterson's famous debut. The solitary win was TC's "double" on Hogmanay 1988 emoji23.png

Garry Patterson's debut was my first match at Pittodrie with my pals as opposed to with my father, I'd have been about 13, think it finished 2-1 Aberdeen?  Sure Patterson scored? Think Jim Leighton was playing for Dundee, and, randomly, Kevin Ratcliffe?

Garry Patterson's debut was my first match at Pittodrie with my pals as opposed to with my father, I'd have been about 13, think it finished 2-1 Aberdeen?  Sure Patterson scored? Think Jim Leighton was playing for Dundee, and, randomly, Kevin Ratcliffe?
Can't remember Ratcliffe, but I do remember everyone in our end wondering who the f**k the giant boy warming up was (we'd had a massive injury crisis the days before). He scored in the first few minutes and we thought "f**k this boy's good". Half an hour later a 30+ Stewart McKimmie torched him for pace on a through ball despite Patterson having about a 15 yard start [emoji23]

He ended up playing in defence long term. We only later found out he'd been signed for the legendary £1000+tracksuits from Lochore.

Roy Aitken was Aberdeen's player-manager at the time.

2 hours ago, Day of the Lords said:

Can't remember Ratcliffe, but I do remember everyone in our end wondering who the f**k the giant boy warming up was (we'd had a massive injury crisis the days before). He scored in the first few minutes and we thought "f**k this boy's good". Half an hour later a 30+ Stewart McKimmie torched him for pace on a through ball despite Patterson having about a 15 yard start emoji23.png

He ended up playing in defence long term. We only later found out he'd been signed for the legendary £1000+tracksuits from Lochore.

Roy Aitken was Aberdeen's player-manager at the time.

I had a look back at the stats, Willie Miller was Aberdeen's manager, Shearer and Paatelainen scored to make it 2-1 before half time. Some jump from Lochore to the top league in Scotland!

1 hour ago, starryfish said:

I had a look back at the stats, Willie Miller was Aberdeen's manager, Shearer and Paatelainen scored to make it 2-1 before half time. Some jump from Lochore to the top league in Scotland!

22nd August 1992...Rained I think, I remember because Rix and Ratcliffe played for Dundee. I also seemed to recall Dundee had a big lumbering carthorse up that was Alan Gilzean's son but he didn't play that day so I must be getting mixed up.

Roy Aitken must have just been there as a player. I definitely remember him playing.
22nd August 1992...Rained I think, I remember because Rix and Ratcliffe played for Dundee. I also seemed to recall Dundee had a big lumbering carthorse up that was Alan Gilzean's son but he didn't play that day so I must be getting mixed up.
It was fucking baltic. I'm sure the new stand hadn't yet been built so the wind was whistling in off the North sea. Ian Gilzean did indeed play for us that season. He was shite other than in a 4-3 win over Rangers when he absolutely battered Richard Gough all over the place.

1 hour ago, ken es said:

Can we not bother playing the game,call it a draw 1 point each...deal?

I’m afraid not.  This match has been chosen to showcase Scottish soccer to the USA.*

*I strongly suspect there isn’t going to be much demand for more matches to be screened from Scotland after this one.

Edited by Shadow Play

9 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Do we even know if this game will actually be on TV in the States? Not heard anything about a deal being confirmed.

CBS Sports/Paramount have the rights to Scottish football over there.  I'd imagine they'll be showing this one seeing as it's 2 of the giants of the global game.