Internet access in stadiums

Why would you need internet access at a football ground other than to maybe check half time and full time scores... ?

You're at the football, maybe watch the fucking game you have paid to attend and actually give that your attention instead of browsing social media or betting on the 4.15 at Haydock, plenty of time for that stuff before and after the game. 

4 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Why would you need internet access at a football ground other than to maybe check half time and full time scores... ?

You're at the football, maybe watch the fucking game you have paid to attend and actually give that your attention instead of browsing social media or betting on the 4.15 at Haydock, plenty of time for that stuff before and after the game. 

You answered your own question in your first sentence.

7 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

You answered your own question in your first sentence.

I'm more meaning people who you see at matches constantly on their phone throughout the game. 

Part of the social media obsessed generation, I have a cursory look at my phone at half time to see how my football bet is inevitably going down the shitter and for latest scores as I'm leaving the stadium that's it.

Just now, Flybhoy said:

I'm more meaning people who you see at matches constantly on their phone throughout the game. 

Part of the social media obsessed generation, I have a cursory look at my phone at half time to see how my football bet is inevitably going down the shitter and for latest scores as I'm leaving the stadium that's it.

Would that be a phone you have caught.

10 hours ago, Flybhoy said:

Like you I never use my phone during a game, but I do like to check on how the other games are getting on at half time, and it’s frustrating when you can’t do that because of the lack of WiFi coverage or whatever else causes it.

On 08/10/2021 at 15:36, realmadrid said:

As a match day media volunteer i have noticed the WiFi and 4G situation getting worse over the last few years.

Due to the suite WiFi passwords being common knowledge at McDiarmird over the years there are just too many people who use them and the whole system goes down. At the Galatasary game we managed to get the goal graphic for our late goal out 25 minutes after the game finish. That thankfully that prompted the club to get a private network for our own media but i know the general press are unhappy as the press network is very poor and prone to hanging up during games.

Of the away games this season i think ive used my data at them all where as a few years back the clubs systems worked well.

This is, for me, a new problem. Before covid I had no problem at any ground. Now it’s at every ground I visit. Something strange is going on. As I said before, must be covid :)

38 minutes ago, andrewh said:

This is, for me, a new problem. Before covid I had no problem at any ground. Now it’s at every ground I visit. Something strange is going on. As I said before, must be covid :)

I wonder if some of the mobile providers are not too bothered if the 4G network "slows" occasionally , after all they have a new and very expensive band to flog us all??

I had an issue about 18 months ago with EE 4G - I couldnt make calls or get coverage in my street. I am a mile from the each of the 2 closest masts, both of which had "an issue" - and it took them about 3 months to fix it.

All of our mobile costs were removed for a year afterward, but its hardly the point, esp as we both run businesses.

Meanwhile their engineers were busily installing 5G points all over the place.

On 10/10/2021 at 10:49, Leith Green said:

I wonder if some of the mobile providers are not too bothered if the 4G network "slows" occasionally , after all they have a new and very expensive band to flog us all??

I had an issue about 18 months ago with EE 4G - I couldnt make calls or get coverage in my street. I am a mile from the each of the 2 closest masts, both of which had "an issue" - and it took them about 3 months to fix it.

All of our mobile costs were removed for a year afterward, but its hardly the point, esp as we both run businesses.

Meanwhile their engineers were busily installing 5G points all over the place.

Yes, makes sense. 5G hasn’t only caused covid.

21 minutes ago, Donathan said:

Don’t they usually read out half time and full time scores over the tannoy? Why bother checking them on your phone?

They don’t read out the lower league scores. They don’t tell you if anyone has been sent off. They don’t tell you how the first half has gone, play wise. There’s loads of stuff that you don’t get at half time over the tannoy system, if you can hear it.

12 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

They don’t read out the lower league scores. They don’t tell you if anyone has been sent off. They don’t tell you how the first half has gone, play wise. There’s loads of stuff that you don’t get at half time over the tannoy system, if you can hear it.

That's pathetic, for a start.

Thankfully at Falkirk we have always had all 4 divisions read out, no matter which level we were competing at.. This was a boon when "Rangers" were regularly getting pumped in the 4th tier.

We did go through a spell of not announcing the names of visiting teams' substitutions which was very poor, but thankfully corrected now.

2 minutes ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I had network issues at Hampden on Saturday, although it was slow rather than no access...I'm not sure why but I couldn't open the Flash Scores app.

Maybe too be expected with 50,000 people in a small area

Yep, its not like in Wenbley where EE (sponsor obvs) have set up enough masts to guarantee access throughout.

It is probably specific to big sporting events like football, where most are "off line" for 45 minutes then madly logging on to see whats going on.

The only one that works consistently at Easter Road is the BBC sport app which pings through goals as they happen for Prem matches - but I guess that just sits in the backgroubnd and doesnt need much bandwidth.

50 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

That's pathetic, for a start.

Thankfully at Falkirk we have always had all 4 divisions read out, no matter which level we were competing at.. This was a boon when "Rangers" were regularly getting pumped in the 4th tier.

We did go through a spell of not announcing the names of visiting teams' substitutions which was very poor, but thankfully corrected now.

It is pathetic, but it’s what happens at most Premiership games sadly.