QoS V Partick Th. ( SPFL Trust Trophy)

Not sure if it's worth starting  a separate thread for this game but it helps avoid having to trawl through posts about other games. 

Friday night under Palmerston's dazzling new floodlights, what can we expect?  Queens won their first home league game in a long time yesterday, a turgid affair against a very poor Pars team, Partick Thistle on the other hand romped home against what was supposed to be an improved Ayr Utd.  Our earlier Championship meeting in Glasgow resulted in a narrow win for The Jags but I think its widely accepted Queens deserved something from it. What approach will the Managers take, give fringe players a run out, rest some players or go full bore for it?  Let the discussion commence. 

Edited by Fae_the_'briggs

McCall said in his post match interview that we’d be making some changes - specifically mentioning that Hendrie will be playing. I wouldn’t be overly surprised to see Murray and MacIver start as well. Possibly Shea Gordon too. It’s a real shame that Hastie is cup tied though, would have been good to give him a run out.

Don’t really care if we win or not tbh. Will Queens be streaming it? 

42 minutes ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

McCall said in his post match interview that we’d be making some changes - specifically mentioning that Hendrie will be playing. I wouldn’t be overly surprised to see Murray and MacIver start as well. Possibly Shea Gordon too. It’s a real shame that Hastie is cup tied though, would have been good to give him a run out.

Don’t really care if we win or not tbh. Will Queens be streaming it? 

Yes we'll be streaming it.

We'll be trying to win it but at the same time manager said in his post match interview yesterday he'd make a few changes and give some of the fringe players who didn't start yesterday games. Innes Cameron is cup tied. If Ally Roy is fit I'd expect him to get game time. Ben Liddle to start too probably. Possibly McGrory and East back in? Joseph if he's fit.

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yes we'll be streaming it.

We'll be trying to win it but at the same time manager said in his post match interview yesterday he'd make a few changes and give some of the fringe players who didn't start yesterday games. Innes Cameron is cup tied. If Ally Roy is fit I'd expect him to get game time. Ben Liddle to start too probably. Possibly McGrory and East back in? Joseph if he's fit.

Paton back in as well try and get game time into most of the  squad hopefully Todd is fit as well 

Total guess at a line up for us :

Stone 

McKenna 

Akinola 

Holt

Hendrie

Gordon 

Docherty 

Turner 

Murray 

Smith 

Maciver 

The likes of Graham, Bannigan, Foster who have played pretty much every minute this season to be on the bench. Both teams will want to win but not be heartbroken with a loss. 

I'll be a fairweather fan on Friday. I'm not standing in the cold to watch another shit-show like Saturday for a CC game.

I'd be a bit more enthused if it wasn't a Championship side we were playing. Like others have said already, I won't be devastated if we lose. No injuries and I'll be happy enough.

On 05/10/2021 at 08:04, Monkey Tennis said:

Whoever we field, my money is on a full bore experience.

I rarely read any poster from any side having a good word to say about the CC. Yet one of the best games I've seen Queens play was a CC semi-final v St Mirren at Love Street - both sides went for it with both barrels right from the off. Finished 5-3 to Queens after ET - great game. So it can happen.

I rarely read any poster from any side having a good word to say about the CC. Yet one of the best games I've seen Queens play was a CC semi-final v St Mirren at Love Street - both sides went for it with both barrels right from the off. Finished 5-3 to Queens after ET - great game. So it can happen.

I wasn't at that game but can remember being absolutely buzzing with the result. I really enjoyed the final as well.

For me personally though, we've played in Europe and got to the Scottish Cup final. A CC game/final really doesn't compare to that feeling so I've since really felt nothing for the competition. Even the final against Thistle I was very 'meh' about it even on the actual day. The way it ended certainly gave it some added excitement mind you.

6 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I wasn't at that game but can remember being absolutely buzzing with the result. I really enjoyed the final as well.

For me personally though, we've played in Europe and got to the Scottish Cup final. A CC game/final really doesn't compare to that feeling so I've since really felt nothing for the competition. Even the final against Thistle I was very 'meh' about it even on the actual day. The way it ended certainly gave it some added excitement mind you.

I get that view, and I get that it's not a high priority competition for the clubs, but I remember turning up for our first CC cup final v Falkirk at Fir Park and there were 10,000 at the game with at least 50% from Dumfries and the place was buzzing. Thought to myself then ..... this is great, how often do diddy teams get to cup finals, let alone have a realistic chance of actually winning them? 

Edited by Otis Blue

2 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

from memory this game did NOT got to extra time ; we went 3-4 in the dying minutes and were all worried IF they equalised we would stutter through as we were dead on our feet. THEN (I'm sure it was Peter Wetherson) grabbed a goal at the death to ensure our vidtory. Sure it was Robbie Nielson's debut to boot - first experience at those lone throw ins and happy days ahead......................... Funnily enough I followed this game with a TA trip to the Faroes and ended up with a load of buddies en route to the the game. They were impressed by our endeavours!!

Edited by billyqos

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

My issue isn't particularly with the competition.  It's provided a couple of my very best memories as a Queens fan ever, going back over decades.

It's more that the early stages of it against a team we'll meet plenty anyway, fails to be very enticing. Throw in the incomplete Palmerston experience and it's yet less of an attraction.

from memory this game did NOT got to extra time ; we went 3-4 in the dying minutes and were all worried IF they equalised we would stutter through as we were dead on our feet. THEN (I'm sure it was Peter Wetherson) grabbed a goal at the death to ensure our vidtory. Sure it was Robbie Nielson's debut to boot - first experience at those lone throw ins and happy days ahead......................... Funnily enough I followed this game with a TA trip to the Faroes and ended up with a load of buddies en route to the the game. They were impressed by our endeavours!!

You are correct that the game didn’t go to extra time. Weatherson scored the 4th goal and Shields the 5th in stoppage time to confirm a 5-3 win.

http://www.qosarchive.co.uk/270802.htm

4 hours ago, billyqos said:

7 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

You are correct that the game didn’t go to extra time. Weatherson scored the 4th goal and Shields the 5th in stoppage time to confirm a 5-3 win.

Thanks guys, not for the first time my memory is found wanting. Too lazy to check the archives as per. I need to up my game here!

Yes I remember Nelson playing in the side that night. Also seem to recall a lad Stephen Bell (?) playing a blinder for us that night - surely not the same guy still playing with Partick these days?

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

That was a cracking match report to read back. Fair play to Skyline Drifter who I believe was the author. The energy and atmosphere oozed off the page reading that nearly 20 years on.

Edited by Priti priti priti Patel

15 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Thanks guys, not for the first time my memory is found wanting. Too lazy to check the archives as per. I need to up my game here!

Yes I remember Nelson playing in the side that night. Also seem to recall a lad Stephen Bell (?) playing a blinder for us that night - surely not the same guy still playing with Partick these days?

Just read the report ... it was Paul Shields (not Bell) who played well that night. Helluva good game. Was it really 20 years ago now, strewth .....