Edinburgh - what is wrong with the place?

From Haymarket

Dalry Road only has Dickens and the Balmoral left as gentrification has swept away the other old fashioned pubs but not yet delivered a craft beer palace. Dickens has more character of the two
Glasgow Road is Suburban with nothing till you get towards Murrayfield
Grosvenor Street is the start of proper posh west End so unless you're staying in the Grosvenor hotel we can ignore it.
Shandwick Place is heading towards Princes Street and while Au Bar isn't an intrinsically terrible place and there are a few places hidden off on William Street running parallell to Shandwick place that are good they're pricy and  there's a certain lack of soul that you get from a city centre bar which isn't really anybody's local. And you do risk meeting someone called Baxter or Campbell who wears red trousers.

So you most likely want to head up Morrison Street.
Ignore "the Haymarket" a pub that isn't a weatherspoons but feels like it might be

What used to be the splendidly dodgy Dianes Pool Hall is now "Malones" and irish themed place that makes great play of serving a really good pint of Tennent's lager from their tank. If you like green paint and Tennents lager this might be your personal heaven

Monty's on the right is a tardis of a place, two floors and a beer garden packed into an unassuming building. It's got the balance between locals and blow in's spot on. I recommend it
Across the road and up a bit is "Froth andFlames" which used to be "Cuba Norte" and will probably have had another "fire" and reopened under a different name so there's no point reviewing it

A little further up still is Thomson's. A genuine contender for best real ale in Edinburgh but I feel like the youth policy there and I'm in my '40s. I prefer it in the summer when you can get an outside table and enjoy excellent beer while avoiding the tiresome old men.
From here there's a gap as you get past the conference centre and then you're onto Lebowskis which is essentially the same vibe as the one in Glasgow. From that point you can carry on straight forward to Bread Street. The Blue Blazer is equal parts people who've lived round there for ages, people who've come from work nearby, weird art school people and tourists (exact proportions vary throughout the year). It serves very good beer and I recommend it highly
The Chanter is basically like one of those barns on Sauchihell street (The Hall?) and  If you like sitting on your own getting drunk while shouting at Sky Sports then the Footlights on a Sunday Afternoon might be the place for you

Continuing on this path will lead you to the Pubic triangle the famous trio of strip joints. So I'll gloss over that and suggest that you double back along bread street and go south along Lothian Road towards tollcross.

The hanging bat is craft beer wankery, that even the good people of Leith would find a bit much. All the beer is extra strong and the glasses are correspondingly smaller. Some of them especially the 10% porters (served by a 1/3 pint) are delicous but it's not really a place for a session.
You've then got the Raging bull. Which used to have a variety of rough identities but successfully reinvented itself. If you like Fizzy lager, cocktails, rap music and student lassies then this might be your jam
From there keep going towards the meadows and you'll get to the Ventoux which is the sister of the Tourmalet in Leith that was mentioned earlier. But it's in Tollcross so it's better (or at least closer to my house, which is pretty much the same thing)  and Cloisters another contender for best real ale pub in Edinburgh but with a far cheerier clientele
By this point you've walked a mile, are presumably plastered and should have found at least a couple of places that suit you
ETA
Or you may have ended up watching the strippers, I'm not judging
Can't believe you said head towards the meadows and didn't mention the International Bar, quality shithole boozer.

Just now, Empty It said:
On 06/10/2021 at 12:02, topcat(The most tip top) said:
By this point you've walked a mile, are presumably plastered and should have found at least a couple of places that suit you
ETA

Can't believe you said head towards the meadows and didn't mention the International Bar, quality shithole boozer.

You're not the first person to mention this and the issue of the IB or Bertie's has been addressed in subsequent posts. 

"Quality Shithole Boozers in your town/city?" possibly deserves to be a thread of it's own. 

1 hour ago, Empty It said:
From Haymarket

Dalry Road only has Dickens and the Balmoral left as gentrification has swept away the other old fashioned pubs but not yet delivered a craft beer palace. Dickens has more character of the two
Grosvenor Street is the start of proper posh west End so unless you're staying in the Grosvenor hotel we can ignore it.
Shandwick Place is heading towards Princes Street and while Au Bar isn't an intrinsically terrible place and there are a few places hidden off on William Street running parallell to Shandwick place that are good they're pricy and  there's a certain lack of soul that you get from a city centre bar which isn't really anybody's local. And you do risk meeting someone called Baxter or Campbell who wears red trousers.

Ignore "the Haymarket" a pub that isn't a weatherspoons but feels like it might be

What used to be the splendidly dodgy Dianes Pool Hall is now "Malones" and irish themed place that makes great play of serving a really good pint of Tennent's lager from their tank. If you like green paint and Tennents lager this might be your personal heaven

Monty's on the right is a tardis of a place, two floors and a beer garden packed into an unassuming building. It's got the balance between locals and blow in's spot on. I recommend it
Across the road and up a bit is "Froth andFlames" which used to be "Cuba Norte" and will probably have had another "fire" and reopened under a different name so there's no point reviewing it

A little further up still is Thomson's. A genuine contender for best real ale in Edinburgh but I feel like the youth policy there and I'm in my '40s. I prefer it in the summer when you can get an outside table and enjoy excellent beer while avoiding the tiresome old men.
From here there's a gap as you get past the conference centre and then you're onto Lebowskis which is essentially the same vibe as the one in Glasgow. From that point you can carry on straight forward to Bread Street. The Blue Blazer is equal parts people who've lived round there for ages, people who've come from work nearby, weird art school people and tourists (exact proportions vary throughout the year). It serves very good beer and I recommend it highly
The Chanter is basically like one of those barns on Sauchihell street (The Hall?) and  If you like sitting on your own getting drunk while shouting at Sky Sports then the Footlights on a Sunday Afternoon might be the place for you

Continuing on this path will lead you to the Pubic triangle the famous trio of strip joints. So I'll gloss over that and suggest that you double back along bread street and go south along Lothian Road towards tollcross.

The hanging bat is craft beer wankery, that even the good people of Leith would find a bit much. All the beer is extra strong and the glasses are correspondingly smaller. Some of them especially the 10% porters (served by a 1/3 pint) are delicous but it's not really a place for a session.
You've then got the Raging bull. Which used to have a variety of rough identities but successfully reinvented itself. If you like Fizzy lager, cocktails, rap music and student lassies then this might be your jam
From there keep going towards the meadows and you'll get to the Ventoux which is the sister of the Tourmalet in Leith that was mentioned earlier. But it's in Tollcross so it's better (or at least closer to my house, which is pretty much the same thing)  and Cloisters another contender for best real ale pub in Edinburgh but with a far cheerier clientele
ETA

There was a guy who used to drink in there all the time circa 2012, if you put Rick Astley on the jukebox he'd get up and do this crazy Rick Roll dancing.

When the Old Toll closed lots of the 'characters' moved across to the International.

I think Lebowski's has closed now, and I'd add in the Mad Hatter that's three doors down from Malone's, but a good list otherwise.

Unsurprisingly I've done the Morrison St pub crawl, but started at Lebowski's, skipped the Haymarket and ended round the corner in Dickens. Great stuff.

3 hours ago, Falcor Roar said:

There was a guy who used to drink in there all the time circa 2012, if you put Rick Astley on the jukebox he'd get up and do this crazy Rick Roll dancing.

When the Old Toll closed lots of the 'characters' moved across to the International.

There is little in this world that brings me more joy than alkies dancing.

Diane's is a loss. Mind getting chucked out of there at about 9:30 in the morning a few years ago because we went in still drunk from the night before and my pal put the Monster Mash on the jukebox three times in a row. Think we were put out for our own safety.

• 2 weeks later...
On 08/10/2021 at 10:34, scottsdad said:

I got my wife gloves and she said she didn't like them.

Hide contents

E-2MOUzXMAEucYj.jpg

Forgive me if this is a bit of a personal question but what event(s) took place in your life for you to know that gaping gloves existed?

On 08/10/2021 at 14:18, Empty It said:
From Haymarket

ETA

Sure the International Bar is the choice for a lot of the "glory hunting" Celtic fans from Edinburgh. 

On 08/10/2021 at 19:18, Gordon EF said:

Diane's is a loss. Mind getting chucked out of there at about 9:30 in the morning a few years ago because we went in still drunk from the night before and my pal put the Monster Mash on the jukebox three times in a row. Think we were put out for our own safety.

Diane's was class 8am opening 7 days a week. Ideal place if you found yourself still drunk in the morning !

It was a sight to behold the day Oasis played Murrayfield in 2009. By 1130am it had the atmosphere of a busy pub at 11pm on a Saturday night. 

On 05/10/2021 at 10:43, Suspect Device said:

Did you work in Whiplash Trash? 

Basically are you the large breasted lass who squeezed into PVC every day for work? 😍

We're talking at least 20 years but possibly up to 30 years ago but given you're talking George Best era, it's not impossible you'll know what the f**k I'm on about.

Huge thingys, but looked like she could snap your neck with a click of her fingers. Also had what appeared to be an Adam’s apple.

7 hours ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Sure the International Bar is the choice for a lot of the "glory hunting" Celtic fans from Edinburgh. 

Last time I watched an old Firm Match was 2006 when we needed Celtic to take points off rangers to keep our push for 2nd on track. I dug out every single green item of clothing in my wardrobe, put both of them on  and headed down to the IB to cheer on Gordon Strachan's Bhoys as they shitfested their way to a 0-0 draw which suited me but left the usual denizens grumpy and restless so I got out swiftly before things got uglier

I don't know whether anybody appreciated my choice of socks