Edinburgh - what is wrong with the place?

I prefer Glasgow to Edinburgh as I just feel there's more to do as someone in their 20s and it's always felt friendlier in my experience. Edinburgh's cool though and I definitely think it's more unique of a city than Glasgow which has a lot in common with places like Manchester and Newcastle which are similar party cities with similar histories, culture and demographics. Maybe Edinburgh is as well but it at least looks different with the amount of visible history kicking about the centre of the city.

1 hour ago, pozbaird said:

Four of us went to Aberdeen for an overnighter simply because, other than for football, we’d never been. Me, my mate, and our good ladies. Booked a Travelodge in town, and the brief was pretty simple - walk around the town during the day, go for a nice Italian or Chinese, hit a city centre bar, retire to the hotel for a nightcap. Now, to be fair, we did enjoy a ‘studenty’ bar in Aberdeen, can’t remember the name, but it was a bit ‘goth’, was maybe a church back in the day, played good rock music, and felt like we were drinking in the album sleeve of Ozzy Osbourne’s ‘Diary of a Madman’. That was good fun. However, we found the city centre to be a grey depressing place to be.

We don’t, for example, find Dundee to be a depressing place. Dundonians will have to remind me, but there’s a restaurant down by the Tay that was an old railway carriage - that was good, and also a good area to stroll around watching the sun set over the ‘silvery Tay’. Just one part of Dundee, but it was pleasant to be there. As is the V&A area and waterfront. I think there’s a good feel to Dundee as a visitor.

As I said in an earlier post, an Aberdonian could show me around and it would no doubt be very enlightening, but just as a casual visitor, not my favourite place. No offence intended as I really try to enjoy everywhere I go in my own country. 

Edit… on the whole though, Scotland is fcuking brilliant. Yes, we have our issues, our faults, but by Christ, look at the size of us and what we have. Utterly amazing country. 

The railway carriage is called Bridgeview Station. I've been a few times and it is good.

Dundee is clearly the best city in Scotland. Highest percentage of Yes voters and lowest percentage of OF fans. 

Edited by Paul Kersey

Just now, Paul Kersey said:

The railway carriage is called Bridgeview Station. I've been a few times and it is good.

Dundee is clearly the best city on Scotland. Highest percentage of Yes voters and lowest percentage of OF fans. 

… and handy for St Andrews. 😎

21 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

Dundee is clearly the best city on Scotland. Highest percentage of Yes voters and lowest percentage of OF fans. 

It was better when it stuck to rolls on sausages.

52 minutes ago, Paul Kersey said:

we did enjoy a ‘studenty’ bar in Aberdeen, can’t remember the name, but it was a bit ‘goth’, was maybe a church back in the day, played good rock music, and felt like we were drinking in the album sleeve of Ozzy Osbourne’s ‘Diary of a Madman’.

Slains Castle on Belmont St?

There's a lot of valid criticisms here. My biggest one, as someone who has spent the majority of my life here and spent time working for the local authority, is that we've had a succession of clownshoes council administrations who run the city for the benefit of tourists and students as opposed to the people who live here.

Outside of the city centre, which I would happily wall off and charge through the nose to pay for sevices for the residents, it's much like anywhere else, some good, some bad. It's very much a place that's caught between wanting to be a cosmopolitan European capital and being an inward looking, snooty, Tory, establishment seat of power.

Guest Bob Mahelp
8 hours ago, sparky88 said:

Really don't understand why people from the central belt go to Aberdeen, unless for work or football. Takes ages to get there, and it's worse than where you've come from. Like someone from London going out their way to visit Norwich.

Not to diss your opinion in any way, but Norwich is one of the UK's best cities. 

Just the right size, fantastic history, lovely scenery, great shopping, and some brilliant bars and restaurants. And really nice people. 

Plus it's the only main size city in England that can't be reached by motorway. 

I'd have Norwich over London every day of the week. 

18 minutes ago, Darren said:

One of the very few things Aberdeen has in its favour is a handful of good pubs. Slains definitely isn't one of them.

I haven't been out drinking in Aberdeen for about 20 years. All that I can remember is tacky pubs on Union Street, like Cafe Ici and The Soda Fountain, and rough as f**k dockside boozers like The Anchorage and The Schooner. I've got no idea if these places still exist.

19 minutes ago, JamieThomas said:

Edinburgh is great. Glasgow's good too. Aberdeen has it's moments, and I've had some good times in Dundee.

Kind of think folk who complain about other Scottish cities are oddballs tbh.

Pretty much this. I can find good things in most places… like Falkirk (Callendar Park in autumn… stunning), my adopted home town of Cumbernauld ( Cumbernauld Glen, the Aria statue, the walk around Broadwood Loch), or my birthplace, Paisley.

I stick to my overall view - in a country our size, it’s tiny…. but my goodness, it contains so much. A lot of it I have yet to even experience at all, despite turning 60 this year. Hell, I only discovered a place like Culross a year ago, and it’s only a thirty minute drive from my house. 

Edited by pozbaird

4 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Pretty much this. I can find good things in most places… like Falkirk (Callender Park in autumn… stunning), my adopted home town of Cumbernauld ( Cumbernauld Glen, the Aria statue, the walk around Broadwood Loch), or my birthplace, Paisley.

I stick to my overall view - in a country our size, it’s tiny…. but my goodness, it contains so much. A lot of it I have yet to even experience at all, despite turning 60 this year. Hell, I only discovered a place like Culross a year ago, and it’s only a thirty minute drive from my house. 

My old dear moved just down the road from Culross no long before I moved to the States. Would have had no idea it even existed. For a bunch of reasons I've no been able to get back since I got here in 2017, and maybe I'm getting all misty eyed but it makes no sense to me to pretend half of it is shite. Christ, one of my favourite away days out was in Shotts ffs. :lol:

Edited by JamieThomas