Edinburgh - what is wrong with the place?

I spent my first day in 18 months in an office this week. It happened to be in Edinburgh. 

I used to work in Edinburgh in the early part of this century. I didn’t like it. They were obsessed with people being from Glasgow and the office environment was very stuffy, tense and weird. But as time passed I put that down to me. Me in my early 20s being insecure and not perceiving the world correctly. 

Fast forward to this week and I was looking forward to going. But it was the same. Really weird and tense. 

and the place where I worked thought it was fine to have almost back to back meetings from 10-4. There was a meeting from 12-1.30 put in all our diaries and they didn’t provide any form of lunch. 

Some of them sneaked out at 11.45 and got sandwiches to take into the meeting, clearly aware of the lack of lunch. 

It’s a nice enough city to look at but the people have something wrong with them IMO. Something missing.

Edited by Thorongil

2 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

Hands across the M8. That's the spirit!

I’ve made allowances for 20 years, never wanting to buy into any divisive stuff. But I’m forced to reluctantly conclude that there is something in the culture and psyche that means a great many of them just don’t know how to behave. 
No more allowances.

I’ve grown up in Edinburgh and now live in Glasgow and to be honest, the people in both places are just the same as each other. 

There really isn’t any rivalry either. Hardly anyone ever mentioned Glasgow when I was in Edinburgh, unless talking about going to the football or a gig or something. I had one or two jokey “You’ve come over to the right side” type comments here but not to the extent that you’d consider it a divisive rivalry. They hardly mention Edinburgh either.

If Glasgow v Edinburgh was ever a thing, it’s basically been done for years. 

I like Glasgow and Edinburgh. I quite like Dundee too. There are things to like about most Scottish cities and big towns. As a Paisley Buddie, I could certainly show visitors around and see a very interesting Paisley - beyond the Vape Shops and a High Street lost to Braehead & Silverburn.

Aberdeen though. I’m convinced an Aberdonian could show me around, the way I could show someone around Paisley, but, just turning up as a visitor, what a fcuking miserable looking place it is. Instantly brings your mood down just walking around its centre.

Edited by pozbaird

2 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

I like Glasgow and Edinburgh. I quite like Dundee too. There are things to like about most Scottish cities and big towns. As a Paisley Buddie, I could certainly show visitors around and see a very interesting Paisley - beyond the Vape Shops and a High Street lost to Braehead & Silverburn.

Aberdeen though. I’m convinced an Aberdonian could show me around, the way I could show someone around Paisley, but, just turning up as a visitor, what a fcuking miserable looking place it is. Instantly brings your mood down just walking around its centre.

Paisley is just a part of Glasgow though.