Overrated shite attractions

The Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. Fully agree with Orwell's take in Homage to Barcelona:

For the first time since I had been in Barcelona I went to have a look at the cathedral–a modern cathedral, and one of the most hideous buildings in the world. It has four crenellated spires exactly the shape of hock bottles. Unlike most of the churches in Barcelona it was not damaged during the revolution–it was spared because of its ‘artistic value’, people said. I think the Anarchists showed bad taste in not blowing it up when they had the chance, though they did hang a red and black banner between its spires.

Looks like the creation of a talented, but weird, child who couldn't stop adding flourishes and embellishments. Gaudi was knocked down by a tram and died before the complete realisation of his work. Still, at the rate they're going maybe no-one will ever see that.

14 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

The permanent exhibit is like a jumble sale. No flow ,no rhythm just a pile of stuff 

I agree with this. The permanent exhibition is just a room full of random tat that happened to have have been designed by somebody from Scotland.

The paid exhibitions are generally okay though. The ocean liners, the computer games and the current nightclub one were all really good. 

The building itself is cool. People complain about all the wasted space, but before the lockdown there were a couple of events in there. Hopefully they'll be able to put on

further events in the future.

12 hours ago, Highland Capital said:

It's now an Aldi (or was), but Waltzing Waters in Newtonmore.  Dancing water - says it all.

I went there once years ago. It was just a garden sprinkler in front of a dodgy disco lighting rig. Astonishingly shite. I'm not surprised that it's long gone. 

I also went to the Landmark Forest Adventure Park that day. That was pretty good.

1 hour ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Another vote for Checkpoint Charlie. Most of Berlin is great, that was a complete waste of time.  

I went there to get a geocache, largely because it was next door to my hotel.   Big pointless random door handle magnetically attached to a doorway which millions stand next to and clearly never notice, which was cool in its own right.  

Far better was to get a walking guide from the area who'd give some decent insight and wouldn't just regurgitate some Lonely Planet text.  Apparently they all call Checkpoint Charlie 'Disneyland'.  Really enjoyed those walks, and also had some really good ones in Prague which were worth the money alone for pointing out good drinking/food establishments.

Back on subject, I've learned to avoid any attraction that includes the word 'experience' in the name.  Codeword for a series of modern display panels with text that you'd have been well reading on the bog at home.

Edited by Hedgecutter

5 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
1 hour ago, TheScarf said:
Kingcraig is shite too. It’s about 70 quid for 2 adults and a child and most of the pens/cages are empty. 

It's £45 for two adults and a child.

That’s still about £30 too much.

3 hours ago, velo army said:

Some outrageously curmudgeonly takes on this thread.  

Paris is beautiful and I will square go the poster who decried Kelvingrove. 

Loch Ness. Not even in the top 20 lochs in Scotland, but wildly popular due to the rarely sighted beasty.

The building at Kelvingrove is absolutely stunning and the art works are great, but the section for kids and the exhibitions on the right as you come in are pretty tired with lots out of use etc. It has potential but is not up to scratch right now. But that said I accept your square go, fetch your mother and I’ll see you at Ruel St. 

14 hours ago, Michael W said:

Jemaa el-Fna in Marrakech. In fairness, I knew I would hate this place before I went, but felt I was obliged to go and see it. As expected, I got fed up pretty quickly of irritating people in my face trying to flog me various shit. Really don't see the appeal of it whatsoever. 

To be fair the whole of Marrakech is shit, from the moment you get off the plane people are trying to con you, starts to get exhausting when you meet someone and think "ah, he seems a good chap....ah, no he's just doing it for money or to sell something"

Everyone is at it from the concierge at the hotel who tries to get you to go on trips using his mates so he gets a %, to the pool boy trying to give you dirty towels and asking for £ for a fresh one, and that's at a "5 star hotel".

Even when you pay a decent amount for a guided tour around a part of the city, the guide will take you to multiple places where he will get commission on anything you buy.

My biggest tip? trust no one, utterly no one is your friend there.

Edited by red23

To be fair the whole of Marrakech is shit, from the moment you get off the plane people are trying to con you, starts to get exhausting when you meet someone and think "ah, he seems a good chap....ah, no he's just doing it for money or to sell something"
Everyone is at it from the concierge at the hotel who tries to get you to go on trips using his mates so he gets a %, to the pool boy trying to give you dirty towels and asking for £ for a fresh one, and that's at a "5 star hotel".
Even when you pay a decent amount for a guided tour around a part of the city, the guide will take you to multiple places where he will get commission on anything you buy.
My biggest tip? trust no one, utterly no one is your friend there.
I found them good at taking no to mean no. Unless you're a very naive traveller it shouldn't be much of an issue.

It does smell of donkey piss though.

34 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I found them good at taking no to mean no. Unless you're a very naive traveller it shouldn't be much of an issue.

Yup, a lot less hassle than the North I found, although I might just have got used to dealing with it up there. Pretending that you know where you're going and you're on a mission helps instead of standing around goggle eyed and lost.

Edited by welshbairn

6 hours ago, ICTChris said:

Checkpoint Charlie is complete shite, a total tourist trap. About ten thousand better attractions in Berlin.

Cycled past it on the way over to Kreuzberg for pints. Tacky shite. If anyone is going to Berlin give it a swerve and do something, anything else. 

2 hours ago, Bold Rover said:

Came on to suggest the Mona Lisa but 2 others beat me to it. Crowds of people like the petrol panic-buyers who've been told about it. 

I will definitely agree with the Mona Lisa, even when I was there and the crowds were not particularly bad, it was still decidedly underwhelming.  Yet another reason why Paris is overratted

I will disagree with the poster that says all of France is shite though, I quite enjoyed Marseille, even though it is a bit seedy it has a character to it.  Other parts of France like Normandy are quite nice as well.  

Don’t agree with some of these shouts at all. The Culloden visitor centre is actually pretty good and the tour was dead interesting. Thought Sagrada Familia was pretty breathtaking as well.

Niagara Falls the town is shite though. However the surrounding region is unreal for a wine tour - Niagara on the Lake is a class wee place as well.

22 minutes ago, Bonksy+HisChristianParade said:

Niagara Falls the town is shite though. However the surrounding region is unreal for a wine tour - Niagara on the Lake is a class wee place as well.

Agree with this, the actual falls are quite spectacular, the rest of the town is just tacky and unpleasant.  

Checkpoint Charlie is complete shite, a total tourist trap. About ten thousand better attractions in Berlin.

Agree Berlin is brilliant, but that museum/exhibition next to CC, where they had set up a west v east 3D of life during the wall with the haunting music was first class.

For disappointments, I will nominate the Palace of Versailles. 2.5 hour queue and once in just absolutely rammed with people waving their phones around.
Maybe didn’t have enough interest in the subject matter to really enjoy it - the DDR is far more of a curiosity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. Fully agree with Orwell's take in Homage to Barcelona:
For the first time since I had been in Barcelona I went to have a look at the cathedral–a modern cathedral, and one of the most hideous buildings in the world. It has four crenellated spires exactly the shape of hock bottles. Unlike most of the churches in Barcelona it was not damaged during the revolution–it was spared because of its ‘artistic value’, people said. I think the Anarchists showed bad taste in not blowing it up when they had the chance, though they did hang a red and black banner between its spires.
Looks like the creation of a talented, but weird, child who couldn't stop adding flourishes and embellishments. Gaudi was knocked down by a tram and died before the complete realisation of his work. Still, at the rate they're going maybe no-one will ever see that.

Again I'll disagree - I find it absolutely fascinating both inside and outside.

There's so much going on and intertwining of styles that you always see something you missed the previous visit.

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk